Why Not Women?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You just have to look at the way Galaxy Girl was treated here.

Passagemaker and Trawler Forum over the last 15+ years has not been friendly and/or understanding of women.

GG, Galaxy Girl, has made on offer on a boat, and presently having a survey done. If you are interest there are several discussions on Cruise and Sail Forum, which has been more supporting.

Passagemaker and Trawler Forum over the last 15+ years has not been friendly and/or understanding of women.

See, there's one of the key issues right there. Since when is an internet forum - which is really a voluntary collective of just about anybody - obliged to be especially "friendly and understanding" to a given slice of the membership? Imagine if I said such a thing individually - I don't like X Forum because they're not friendly and understanding to me. I'd sound like a big baby. Wah, you're not nice to me. We all have an obligation to be polite and courteous to all humans, but I think it's kind of silly to expect any group of random people who happen to have a common interest to recast their interaction patterns to suit a particular group, whatever the group might be.

Oh, and like a couple other posts, give me a break if you think women are generally nicer to each other than men. Like a post said above, try working in an organization of women - they can slice each other to shreds with a machete before lunch. Just in a different style.

The broker thread was drifting into a pretty interesting topic before it closed: Why don't more women participate in TF discussions? I was posting the following, but it closed too quickly:

Why not simply ask our wives/significant others? Mine says it's a combination of excruciating technical detail that she would often feel ill-prepared to participate in, PLUS no desire to be in a pack of male dogs peeing on trees. (She can be pretty candid) :D

I imagine the women who DO participate would have some valuable insights as well. :popcorn:

You've made some assumptions about the gender of posters based on username :nonono:

It's the internet - folks lie..:socool:

You've made some assumptions about the gender of posters based on username :nonono:

It's the internet - folks lie..:socool:

Only when the names come with pictures, which we all know can't be faked. :)

So, Janet, what's your real name? :socool:

Last edited:
Wifey B: Now, we haven't been here long, but honestly haven't seen any women treated disrespectfully because of their sex. Don't know history. Only female we've seen treated rudely is GG. Wouldn't it be ironic to find out it's a guy? But I couldn't blame hers on sex.

I think maybe the topics don't interest some women, other's just aren't than enthusiastic. But the ones here seem to not be having any issues I am aware of.

I'm not jumping onto any little red bandwagon saying women haven't been welcome here until I see one politely enter and talk and get treated rudely.

Only when the names come with pictures, which we all know can't be faked. :)

So, Janet, what's your real name?

We all need a little mystery.... ;)

My point is that I could be a sweaty palmed, 19 year old geeky guy and you really wouldn't have any way of knowing.... ;)

My point is that I could be a sweaty palmed, 19 year old geeky guy and you really wouldn't have any way of knowing.... ;)

That happened to a friend of mine on a "different kind" of site.

If I thought that for a minute about this site, I'd demand my TF initiation fee back. ;)

Janet-if you really are a sweaty-palmed, 19 year old, geeky guy, you must look great with the dog in your purse!

And Janice you're right about "listening" re the story about the galley up or down couple. Once in a while Chris would put in a plug for a new stove and I assumed her interest was rather casual. Wrong. When I finally bought and installed the new stove she was so happy w it I knew I had made a mistake not getting it done long before. See pic of her soon after I hooked up the new stove. And she likes the galley in the salon. Pic was taken on a perfect day in a perfect anchorage (Red Bay no end of POW Is) but I think it says "I love my new stove".

I'm looking at that beautiful sink -- much bigger than mine, with just a tad of wishing involved. That's a nice layout, open and airy.

Yes Janice. We love the "airy" nature of Willy's salon. Just like an open OB skiff we have a 360 degree view all around. We wish our sink was bigger too and the icebox is under the eggs in the photo so that limits counter space significantly. It's a good and large icebox though. Standard built in equipment when the boat was new. Hardly have any inclination to get standard refrigeration. By the way our house is not as messy as our boat is when we're cruising.

We all need a little mystery.... ;)

Actually Janet(Jeff?, or as you were once known in your former life, Madam Lash), I think your Avatar has too much of a serene sensibility for that of the sweaty palm brigade.Not a bare breast in sight

Mind you, that could of course be a double bluff. If it turns out that TF is a KGB front and you are in reality Vladimir Putin, getting his kicks at the expense of the boating bourgeoisie, I will not be happy. :rolleyes:

I'm looking at that beautiful sink -- much bigger than mine, with just a tad of wishing involved. That's a nice layout, open and airy.

I do believe the sink wishing and comment on the open and airy layout makes it quite clear if anyone ever doubted that you're not the 19 year old sweaty palmed guy. Now could be a 70 year old single man I guess still.

I do believe the sink wishing and comment on the open and airy layout makes it quite clear if anyone ever doubted that you're not the 19 year old sweaty palmed guy. Now could be a 70 year old single man I guess still.

Thing is, janice 142 and Janet are different people or ..............

Bob most of us have seen pics of both Janice and Janet.

Back
Top Bottom