Removing flybridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I'm considering removing my flybridge and restyling the boat as a downeast sedan albeit with an extended overhang. I'll be able to add roof hatches in the salon. I'll have a huge amount of space up top for toys. I'll be lowering the overall weight of the boat and lowering the center of gravity. I'll be elimating all the extra nav equipment, etc. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1st pictures8-5-2007 083.jpg
    1st pictures8-5-2007 083.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1st pictures8-5-2007 088.jpg
    1st pictures8-5-2007 088.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 171
Daddyo,Wonderful idea. My FB was removed before I bought the boat and am I glad. I would have had the job if he hadn't. Get on with it.

Eric Henning

One thing to consider is what this might do to the value of the boat and the ability to sell the boat (if you care about that). If your only interest is in your ownership of the boat and how you use it and you have no concern for what anyone else or potential buyers downstream might care, then there will be no consequence to you in making the change. And if and when you do sell it, there's always the possibility of a buyer coming along who likes what you've done.

Flying bridges are popular--- there's a reason so many boats have them.* Even the ubiquitous Nordic Tug now has a flying bridge option for its larger models and from what I've seen they seem to be popular.* The popularity of flying bridges will depend somewhat on where the boat is, too.* In the PNW with its 24-7-365 rain, flying bridges often tend to be enclosed and, if possible, heated.* Ours is not, which is not why we don't use it, but it would be a major drawback if we wanted to.* In warmer climates, I expect flying bridges are much more popular as they offer a cooler place from which to run the boat.

On some boat brands, the presence or absence of a flying bridge is a major part of the boat's character and appeal.** We don't use the flying bridge on our GB at all as far as running the boat is concerned, but removing it permanently would have a very negative effect on the value of the boat and the ability to sell it. Buyers of GBs want to buy a GB, not something that "used to be" a GB.* And GBs from outset have had a flying bridge.* It's an integral part of what makes a GB a GB.* So major modifications like removing the flying bridge are not viewed as good things to do. Plus it would entail a huge amount of work, not so much in its removal--- it's designed to be taken off for truck transportation---- but in reworking the upper deck and the boat's systems once it was gone.

I'm not familiar with the brand of boat you have, it's value, or how a major modification like the one you propose would affect potential buyers. From an aesthetic point of view, based only on your two photos, it seems to me that removing the flying bridge would not damage the look of the boat, and might even enhance it. How this would improve your usability of the boat is something only you can determine.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 11:49:41 PM

Daddyo

I think you would spoil the look, functionallity and resale value of the boat

You might be better off buying another boat without a fly bridge

Allan

And if and when you do sell it, there's always the possibility of a buyer coming along who likes what you've done.

Its your boat , and if you are willing to make the change as a positive , it will be sees as such by the next owner.

Since you have but ONE boat , you only need to please ONE next owner.

If you were going to shlock boats be the dozens , what a mess market preferred would be of concern a days inventory cost on unsold boats is big.

Even strange changes will be loved by someone , but just tossing a fly bridge will be appreciated by loads of folks that like the look and can use the increased stability.

Are you sure you really want to do this? Just think what your boat will look like without the FB.

Attachments

• strbd.jpg
    strbd.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 155
Yea Walt * * ..... like yours.As soon as I made my post I knew somebody would hammer the value point soon.
It's valid as can be but but the equation changes significantly from boat to boat.
The GBs look very good w the FB. Nordic Tugs do not. I don't know how much this has to do w product identity but it could be a lot. In my formative years I was steeped in art as my mother was an art teacher and my father leaned that way. The old saying that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is largely false. The elements of art (as in line, form, visual mass, texture, color relationships ect) are valid and a known if not sometimes vague discipline. When Trojan put round ports next to traditional windows shaped very differently I'd call it bad design from a visual standpoint. When designers put FBs on small boats the buyers are designing the boat, and that's good * * *.. for sales but almost always for bad function design. SO THERE'S THE ART PART, THE FUNCTION PART AND THE ECONOMICS PART OF THE FB QUESTION. The personal part should not be overlooked either. Walt's boat would look like marinetraders boat w a FB but I think in all respects Nordic Tugs look better w/o the FB. As a boat all boats would benefit from the lack of the FB. But some boats need them to serve the function of the vessel for a specific job such as a seine boat or perhaps a yacht. Yachts are designed for fun and fly bridges are for fun and that justifies many or even most FBs. So in my opinion FBs are bad but most people like them because they are fun and some like them because they think they look nice and some do look nice * * ..like the GBs. I think my Willard looks so stupid w a FB I wouldn't have one * *..but as a piece of sculpture the Willard FB is fine. It just looks so stupid from a boat standpoint and thats the personal element but then there's the round bottom and small boat functional part * * *.. stupid again but I think most Willard owners like the looks of them. To be effectively analytical i think Daddyo needs to balance all the elements of this question and proceed to a well calculated decision or just wack it off * * * ... whatever works for him * .. now or later.

Eric

To follow up on Eric's comment re aesthetics, there is the time honoured concept of the Golden Ratio:

http://plus.maths.org/issue22/features/golden/

Just for fun.

I would also agree that the current Nordic Tugs approach to flybridges looks awkward, but their earlier chariot style flybridges on their 42's seemed to work more harmoniously.

nomadwilly wrote:The GBs look very good w the FB. Nordic Tugs do not... . The old saying that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is largely false... The elements of art (as in line, form, visual mass, texture, color relationships ect) are valid... some boats need them to serve the function of the vessel for a specific job such as a seine boat .....
I agree with Eric's points, especially that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder is largely false." From an art, design, form and function point of view, most fly bridges look rediculous sitting on top of a beautifully designed boat. Note: I said most...not all. Sport fishers have a need for flybridge enclosers, namely for spotting fish and the captain's ability to survey the anglers. And I agree, the GBs
and few more look good. Most do not. I'll take a well designed pilot house boat with no canvas or isinglass over just about any other design I can think of.

(I'm standing by for the "slings and arrows.")
sprint.gif

Note how nice the boat without the bimini looks compared to the one with the bimini and isinglass. Since most skippers like the flybridge in good weather, why have any bimini or isinglass at all?

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 24th of June 2010 12:14:24 PM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 24th of June 2010 12:16:27 PM

Attachments

• isinglass.jpg
    isinglass.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 143
  • no isinglass.jpg
    no isinglass.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 169
SeaHorse II wrote:
Since most skippers like the flybridge in good weather, why have any bimini or isinglass at all?

A bimini because, at least in the Chesapeake in the summer, the sun will incinerate you in* no time at all.* In the shade of the bimini, tooling along at 7 knots, life is good!

Here is roughly what it will look like...

europa1.jpg

Way cool dude.
I tried to do that with paint on the computer.
Could never get the straight lines. You even put the clouds back in.

I'm not worthy.

SD

I agree that, at least from my perspective, a well-designed pilothouse boat like a Fleming is the "perfect" recreational boat design in terms of aesthetics.

The reasons I believe that boats like the GB look "right" with a flying bridge is that their lines are derived from those of a working fishboat. And many of these have a flying bridge for better visibiilty during fishing operations.

A very un-aesthetic trend in commercial fishboats, although it makes the boats more user-friendly in bad weather, is the construction of a full, standing head-room enclosure in place of the open flying bridge. Sometimes this can look okay if it was part of the boat's original design. But there are a lot of add-ons around, where the boat's original open bridge has been enclosed by what looks like a home-made design. Again, functionally beneficial but not very good looking.

Walt,I agree but would look better if the FB had the last 2-3' cut off. Even trees get smaller as they ascend.
Marin,
The GB looks good w it's FB mostly because it's not way to high and the creases in the FB marry well w the tri-windows on the front of the bridge. If the two creases weren't there *and the front of the FB was curved instead of 3 flat planes it wouldn't look so good.
The look that flies w the Nordic Tugs is their sorta commercial look * *..hence "Tug". They are clearly a yacht but w a commercial flare.
About the enclosed seine boat FBs * * *.. Form following function * .. as in function waaaay ahead of form as beauty. Sorry Marin I don't see any lines or other visual features of GBs that relate to commercial boats. They look like a proud GB trawler yacht * *..that's it.
Gonzo,
Very clever. Wish I could do that. I'll learn next winter. Got a new 27" i-mac this spring and I'll bet it can do stuff like that.
The picture exposes a very bad visual flaw in the sans FB plan. The cabin roof looks waaay to large and visually heavy. Cap the edges w dark stained teak or paint them a dark color. Replace those slab like vertical supports w more SS tubes. Make them vertical to marry w the windows. Install a nice oval shaped teak rail about 18"-2' above the cap rail. Take those 2 fwd ports out and reinstall them horizontal w the horizon like the one furthest aft. now the cabin roof still looks like a huge heavy slab. Break that up w a smaller FB similar to the GBs w angular lines to marry w tha cabin lines. Install a mast (again like the GBs) to visually soften the big slab roof. Put a radar arch that visually looks like it belongs w the mast or make the mast look like it belongs w the arch. Put a white dinghy on the aft sun deck that looks not unlike the white boat below. Lastly * ..
paint the frame around the transom door white to make it disappear as much as possible. Then go show off your new boat. Don't know what you'll do next week though.

Eric NA (ha ha)

We like our flybridge and wouldn't dream of cutting it off, even though with it the boat is a bit too tall in profile for her length. Had 22 years of a sedan type in which we felt somewhat entombed. Now we have significantly more outside space to enjoy and the helmsperson on the bridge can interact with others underway instead of being merely the chauffeur while others socialized in the cockpit. We do boat in a climate where a flybridge is usable for only a relatively small percentage of the time, but when we can use it, we enjoy it immensely.

nomadwilly wrote:

Sorry Marin I don't see any lines or other visual features of GBs that relate to commercial boats.
The GB hull profile*above the waterline is derived from*the typical shape for a working fishboat of this size.* Also the helm station toward the forward end of the boat with the small cuddy cabin ahead of it is typical fishboat.

Take a GB36 profile, remove the flying bridge and*aft cabin altogether and shorten the main cabin so that it ends*just behind the main cabin door and you have the typical profile of a salmon troller or other smaller working fishboat.* The aft cabin on a GB36 sits where the fish well would be.***The design tie to working boats*was more obvious in "Spray," the prototype GB36 and the boat that started the whole GB line.

Here are photos of a working fishboat, Spray, and our boat right after we bought it (so it has it's old radar, antennas, and the then-new, crappy Bruce anchor.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of June 2010 05:11:55 PM

Attachments

• troller 1.jpg
    troller 1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 369
  • spray.jpg
    spray.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,373
  • perouse 1a.jpg
    perouse 1a.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 181
I like it with the flybridge gone also. All you would need is a nice mast for radar and elctronics
to balance the look. Keep it short and properly proportioned and you will be the envy of
your marina.
Kayaks anyone?

Marin wrote:Here are photos of a working fishboat, Spray,

Spray? Isn't it the old Gold Dust out of Sitka? FF would love it, it was powered with a 3-71.

I think you misinterpreted the commas.* The photos are*of a working fishboat (and) "Spray" (and) our boat.* I believe the boat in the first photo is "Gold Dust." I just grabbed it off the web but I seem to recall that this was the boat's name.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of June 2010 06:50:08 PM

Oh, sorry, I read that as a working boat named Spray.

I recognized the troller from some ads a few years ago and wondered if the new owners changed the name.

Marin,I agree Spray w her black hull does look a bit commercial but Gold dust and your boat are both boats and that's about it. You see how the vertical bridge windows, black hull and lack of that silly FB gives her a very different look. Actually it (Spray) looks more like a Nordic Tug than a GB. Marin, that's a big hydraulic anchor winch ahead of the "helm station" on Gold Dust * * ..not a cuddy cabin. Very few fish boats have a cuddy cabin fwd of the helm. It also looks like Spray could have been designed by William Atkin. Your boat's beautiful and a near perfect trawler yacht * *.. what else could you want.
The Yacht Tenacious in Ketchikan looks like it decended from FB stock but not the GB.

Eric

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 103.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 103.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 81
Eric---

I wasn't talking so much about the superstructures of* boats like "Gold Dust" and our boat, but of the similarity of their hull aesthetics above the waterline (below the waterline the two hulls are very different).* Same basic sheer, the caprail "break" ("Gold Dust's" is more subtle and farther forward but it's there), the almost-plumb stem, and so on.* The transoms are very different, of course.* Ours is almost flat with sharp corners where "Gold Dust's" is much more rounded (I've seen a photo of" Gold Dust" out of the water taken from behind the boat).

Cuddy cabins are common on all sorts of fishboats, particularly the classics from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. In fact, in my observation they are the norm on this style of boat, not the exception.* Note the first photo of "Donna," a typical northwest salmon troller from the 1940s.* In the wider shot, it looks like there's a big windlass on the foredeck and no cuddy cabin.* But look at the second shot of "Donna."* This is what almost every troller and gillnetter of this basic style I've ever seen looks like in terms of the cabin configuration.* Even on the east coast, all the lobsterboats have cuddy cabins.

One of the most famous builders of trollers, gillnetters, and seiners on the BC coast was the Wahl family in Prince Rupert.* I bought a book about their boats last year and at least half the boats pictured incorporate cuddy cabins ahead of the wheelhouse.

Of course, the clincher is the statement by American Marine itself which says that the GB36's design was "inspired by the sturdy working fishing boats of the day," or something like that.* I don't know who drew the lines for the production GB36.* The protoype, proof-of-concept boat "Spray" was designed for American Marine in 1962 by Kenneth Smith, and for all I know he may have designed the cabin configuration for the production version, named the Grand Banks 36, too.

"Spray's" Ken Smith hull was unchanged on the production GB36 except for the caprail/bulwark "break" which he added after he designed "Spray."* Other than that, "Spray's" hull and our hull are identical in dimensions and configuration except "Spray" is a single engine boat where ours is a twin.* The production GB36 was of course, available either way.* The original hull and superstructure molds for the fiberglass GB36, introduced in 1973, copied the dimensions and configuration of the original wood version exactly, even to the cove lines between the hull "planks."* These molds were used until 1988* when new molds were introduced and the boat got a bit longer, wider, and quie obviously taller.

I'll grant you the production GB36's superstructure design has a lot less in common with the basic working boat design than "Spray's" did, but they weren't trying to copy a working boat anyway, only using it for "inspiration."* The GB was designed from the outset to be a recreational boat.* Or in the words of American Marine, a "dependable diesel cruiser."

Interestingly enough, American Marine (and later Grand Banks, LLC) never once used the word "trawler" to describe their boats. For many years the term used to describe the GB line of boats in advertisements was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers."* And they coined the names of the individual configurations---- "Classic" for the tri-cabin like ours, "Sedan" for the no-aft-cabin model, "Europa" for the sedan with boat deck overhangs, and "Motoryacht" for the full-width aft cabin version.* But never "trawler."* Somebody else came up with that term for this type of boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 25th of June 2010 01:55:16 AM

Attachments

• donna-002.jpg
    donna-002.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 75
  • donna-021.jpg
    donna-021.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 72
  • p1010591.jpg
    p1010591.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 77
  • p1030198.jpg
    p1030198.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 73
You will probably need a something up top to hang electric toy antennas , and I would assume a king post to hoist the dink up there for a passage.

Be sure when you create the system it can easily be lowered , can save hours waiting for bridge attendants to stop watching TV and pull the lever.

Also be sure the system is so easy to operate the bride can decide to launch with no help .

When you get done a second slip in flag post with a really Huge flag always is fun.

Daddyo, Gonzo's pic does look better than I thought it would. Personally, I agree with those who like to keep the f/b for nice weather, dolphin and whale spotting and the like so keep it open - never understood the totally enclosed ones. The Alaska series has a 38 and 42 sedan with no flybridge which looks very similar to the pic Gonzo came up with, but they are enhanced by a nice stumpy radar/light/radio mast. On the other hand...is it really worth all that expense and trouble, I like your boat just the way it is.
http://alaskamotoryachts.com.au/

Too funny * *..looks like "Donna" dosn't trust the helmsmanship of the guy next to him!I forgot about the really old trollers * *..they almost all had cabins fwd of the bridge but I wouldn't call them "cuddy" cabins. Trunk cabins, fwd cabins or just cabins. Your'e right, lots of fish boats have fwd cabins depending on the type. Your 3rd pic shows a fish boat that for many decades was the most common fish boat on the w coast and they almost all had fwd cabins. My pic shows a nice example of a very common gillnet boat (Rawson I think) in Petersburg. Dosn't Chris Foster have a Rawson hull boat?
Commercial heritage ?? Well I'll admit your GB looks a lot more like a commercial vessel than a Chris Craft. And of course AM can say anything they like about their boat's heritage.
Thats very interesting about the word "trawler". There is, of course, no such thing in the pleasure boat world but your comment makes me wonder when people started using the word. I think it was the early 70s. I remember an cruising article in a major boating magazine that continually called their boat a trawler and it was a most untrawler-like Bayliner. Who wants to be associaled w "fathers oldsmobile". Trawler was a new word when it emerged and of course everyone wants to be associated w new things in our culture so the word stuck hard. Look at inflatables. The've become WILDLY popular. Ten times as widespread as they deserve to be based on function. Anyway hats off for AM/GB for not jumping on the vogue wagon.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 25th of June 2010 10:26:43 AM

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 481.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 481.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 77
Eric---

Cuddy cabin may be the wrong name. A lot of people call the forward cabin in a boat like a GB, working troller, etc., a "cuddy cabin." But maybe that term actually applies to something else. Like "flybridge." The proper term is actually "flying bridge" but it's morphed into "flybridge" over the decades.

In the photos I've seen of "Gold Dust," it does have a forward cabin with a V-berth that is entered via a companionway on the right side of the wheelhouse forward bulkhead. But I don't know if the overhead of the forward cabin is raised higher than the foredeck or not.

The boat in the third photo, which I've heard referred to as a Columbia River boat, was moored in Fishermen's Bay on Lopez Island when we were there several years ago.* I have no idea of its operating condition, but it's a classic little fishboat.* I believe similar boats were used in the California herring fishery.

I think the things that interest us the rest of our lives are influenced by what we experience--- even it we don't pay much attention at the time--- as little kids.* For example, I came across a photo my mother took of me when I was maybe two years old on the beach in Sausalito.* Behind me on the beach is a Seabee (single engine amphibious flying boat for anyone who doesn't know what that is).* Did it influence my heavy involvement with seaplanes that came some thirty years later?

As entertainment, my mom would take me for walks in the harbor in Sausalito, and also over to Tiburon to watch the trains in the railyard there (long since plowed under for suburbs).* There was a boat similar to the one in the third photo in the Sausalito harbor.* Painted yellow and green, I have always remembered the name--- "Lucky Lady."* So did my walks as a two-year old*on the docks and watching trains in Tiburon influence my interest in boats and trains years later?* Who knows.....

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 25th of June 2010 11:58:41 AM

Back
Top Bottom