Krogen Cruisers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
Just received my notice that payment of the $30 dues to continue to be a member. Since becoming more active in the TF I'm questioning continuing my membership. It's not the $30 dues I mind, but the lack of information/ sharing information or lack of it on the new KC forum format compared with the TF excellent forum . Haven't had a chance to attend a rally in the bay but seems to have turned into more of a social club gathering and the newsletter a book review. Just wondering if other Krogen Cruisers are getting the same vibes or lack of them.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a KC member for a couple of years. Seems like it's mostly east coast, I'm PNW. Weeks go by without anything new. When they went to the new format I had a few discussions with them that didn't sit well with me. I didn't renew. I'm finding much more information and discussion on TF.

I think Krogen Cruisers is the best, most fun cruising group I've ever had anything to do with (and I'm not even a member). We beg them to allow us to speak at their rendezvous, not because we think we get more users out of it. It's because it's fun and we have a great time, every time. I'm sure that I personally know twice as many Krogen Cruisers members as DeFever Cruisers members.

They've done some group, offshore, multi-overnight passages. That's pretty unique. There is a lot of social interaction in Stuart during the winter (we've been invited to their breakfasts there and they are great). I think their newsletter is pretty good. The Krogen support given is wonderful. But mostly, if you haven't gone to a rendezvous of theirs, you're missing the zen of the experience.

And yep, we'll be in Solomons in early October speaking at their 2014 event.

Love Krogen Cruisers, different from TF. Enjoy taking part in both.

That's great, and it is a great group, but for some members the old forum was the only activity they could interact with the membership, and trade information and ideas.
The present officers of the Krogen Cruisers get feedback in many ways about what activities the membership enjoys and this is a case in point.
Bill

Everybody is right. I just renewed my membership but with the understanding that Mr. Active Captain mentioned, that being "I'm not in the Zen experience". I greatly regret that I haven't been at the Rendezvous. Everyone that has simply raves about it. Nick is a fantastic Newsletter editor, but is reliant on donated material. I haven't been any better than anyone else in sending in stuff to publish. The Breakfasts are lots of fun too.

Outside of Stuart and Chesepeake there is a different reality for most of us that own Krogens. Sharing of information on 42's and Manatees were once the meat and potatoes of the old site, but Yahoo Groups seriously limit the navigation and ease of publishing photos with text that are necessary for project sharing. Let's face it....we owners of older Krogen models have gone about as far as we can without some degree of modernization. I don't know any other way to do that than learning from others that have already done it and share whatever I can with those that I might be a step ahead of. The Cruisers, meanwhile, are becoming a more modern organization in support of the more modern Krogens. The company also needs to focus on the products they are building today.

I never saw anything but a supportive atmosphere among the Cruiser's membership and Krogen Yachts, no matter what boat you might have. The person responsible for swinging the site over to Yahoo Groups really did a lot of work and remains available to help with issues, but she can't write the software for the site and in spite of a few hick-ups here and there, the site move was pretty smooth. At least right now, the site really doesn't provide a format to share text descriptions with photos with the ease we had on the old Krogen Cruiser's Forum and here on TF. I published the last project on it and almost no one knew it was even there. Because of the page crashes, sometimes I'm not even able to find what I published. Yahoo keeps asking for me to update my browser, but I can't on this computer. I have another computer with the latest browser, but it's no more successful with the site.

In order to share support these older boats, we'll just have to do it in whatever way we can and hope that some has value and application to other vessels.

Larry I don't think it had any thing to do with your browser. I and others tried to give feedback about the forum threads that didn't include the initial post, like you had to try to figure out what the tread was all about.
I'm reminded of a phrase " protest will fall on the deaf ears of the rules committee" which was used by the Cape Dory Owners Club when we held club races.
Bill

I agree with Marty. I enjoy both Krogen Cruisers and TF. I have had some very good help from both sources. Sometimes, information on the exact make and model from other owners is extremely helpful.

The Rendezvous in Solomons is excellent. I understand that there is one in the PNW as well. I am looking forward to attending in October--unfortunately, our boat will remain in Florida for this year.

Chris

I agree with Marty. I enjoy both Krogen Cruisers and TF. I have had some very good help from both sources. Sometimes, information on the exact make and model from other owners is extremely helpful.

The Rendezvous in Solomons is excellent. I understand that there is one in the PNW as well. I am looking forward to attending in October--unfortunately, our boat will remain in Florida for this year.

Chris

Ditto on all.

just a clunky Yahoo site is mo only issue.

Ditto on all.

just a clunky Yahoo site is mo only issue.

I've been trying to join that Yahoo group but I get to a kind of cover page and it will go no further. What's the key. I've got my Yahoo ID and I've paid to join KrogenCruisers. What's next?
I'm really not trying to hijack this thread!!!!
Tom

Tom: Yes, I wish the site was more convenient. When the home page comes up, there are two buttons on the upper right saying "Join Today" or "Member Log-in". Of course, if you've already joined, you still have to establish your password, etc.. which once you do, a message will be sent back to you on your registered e-mail. Even after you've logged on, the site is a pain, but click "Forums" and then the left side will show some options. Like I said, a pain. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom