Dauntless is Heading North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Well, we are setting out today, heading north, but I'm bummed that I can't go off shore.

Even hugging the shore, the waves are 5 ft with a short 5 sec period. :eek:

Been there, Done that:facepalm:

THe last few days the weather was ideal, but the work wasn't done. Since some of this work, I have planned on getting done since the beginning, I should be happy:D But...:eek:

You can follow my slow ass progress up the ICW on marine traffic, just search for Dauntless mmsi 367571090

I'll give you a report of the new electrical regime in a few days.
Initial evaluation of the Splendide washer/dryer combo is that as small as it is, it still washed and dried the first load faster than the original Frigidaire vertical stacked units.:dance:

Thankfully, you've installed those new crab-pot catchers so you can clean up the ICW on the way north. Of course, you'll also have to stop for a few more bridges this time, yes?

Larry,

I promise I'll sweep the ICW clean for you.

We're underway now, will be passing Ft. Pierce at about 18:00

Will look at buoy data in the morning and possibly attempt to go outside at Sebastian Inlet tomorrow.

just posted
An Atlantic Adventure – Three Aborts - Dauntless has fun; Richard and Julie take a Beating

it's too long to post here.:popcorn:

some of you have short attentions spans:facepalm:

I'm trying to hit all the apexes of the ICW:eek::popcorn:

I'm heading for Umbrella Creek 1 tonight to anchor.
It's right next to Raccoon Key Spit, so we're hoping to see some raccoons.

The last raccoon we have seen was ambling down Fifth Avenue accroos the avenue from Central Park:eek: wirth seemingly not acare iin the world.

This was daytime and a number of pedestrians walked right past him and didn't even notice:hide:

Finally, he climbed up a tree and used the tree to cross Fifth Avenue and climbed down a tree into the park.:thumb:

Gotta Go, Just got hit by a 40 kt cross wind in Cumberland Sound:eek:

Jekyll Sound piece of cake this morning

With the northerly winds, Jekyll Sound was a piece of cake this morning.

just passed SM 685

:dance:

07:46 Brunswick River lgt chop

07:46 Brunswick River lgt chop:dance:

Looks like you are making good progress. Sitting in my home port on the southern Chesapeake, it is gusting 30 plus with forecast of up to 40. Safe travels.

Happy Easter All,

Were are the bunnies when we need them?
It's cold today. Julie just asked where is the heater I have been talking about for a year:facepalm:

Those little "bus" heaters are invaluable. It's the first thing to add to any boat! Have fun out there, Happy Easter!

ICW SM 635 Sapelo Sound little one foot wavelets cute

ICW SM 635 Sapelo Sound little one foot wavelets cute

Like being on a lake on a weekday morning. I can't say "like being on a lake" as the lake we lived on was a nightmare on Sunday afternoons during the summer. People talk about 3-4' or 4-6' like it's horrible. Well, give me 4-6' with a decent period and one direction to a 4' from starboard, a 5' from port, 3' on your bow and 4' on your stern, all from different boats with some strong winds of 25 knots mixed in on an exposed wide body of water. I recall one July 4 we went out (Yes, like idiots and I only because we had guests who wanted to see the lake) and to this date I haven't faced worse conditions on the ocean. The advent of Wake Boats only increases it as our lake was covered with boats designed to create nice high wakes.

Enjoying your move North. Continued good luck.

ForumRunner_20140508_200740.jpg

ForumRunner_20140508_200802.jpg

Another night on the ICW

Richard,
Did you make it to Great Bridge tonight? Nice pics.

leaving Saturday morn on a delivery from north palm beach to cap may NJ. any body else going my way???

Yes.
Git to Great Bridge at 22:00 Thursday night.

Worked well, as the bridges open on demand after 19:00.
Did thump a few logs though.

Got fuel st Ocean Marine and departed Portsmouth at noon. Watched C/V 71 co

me into Hampton Roads and then spent the next few hours dodging her support boats.

ForumRunner_20140510_083237.jpg

He never got with within 900' of me!

Am now 15nm due east of Ocean City MD

Forecasted SW winds have finally arrived.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140510_083215.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140510_083215.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20140510_083308.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140510_083308.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 92
Wow. 1092 ft. 97000 tons. 30+ knots. Guess nuclear reactors are good for propulsion.

I just posted the rest of the story on my blog, click on link below.

Enjoyed your Blog and catching up with your trip north on ICW. Looking forward to traveling ICW from FL to Maine when I retire. I hope by the time we are ready it remains dredged and safe!

John T.

Enjoyed your Blog and catching up with your trip north on ICW. Looking forward to traveling ICW from FL to Maine when I retire. I hope by the time we are ready it remains dredged and safe!

John T.

I hope so too and NC and FL will likely be, but SC and GA still remain very much up in the air as with shortage of federal funds, the states haven't stepped up as NC and FL have.

Well, I'm watching the weather, hoping for a respite Sunday. If I get NW winds I will leave A.C. Sunday morning and head for Block Island, then 6 hours up to Providence for the next 4 weeks.

By then, I will finish my upgrades and have areal AIS, etc.

27 hours later, I'm passing Block Island.

ForumRunner_20140519_125209.jpg

Finished with Engine

I arrived last night at 20:30 after leaving Atlantic City the previous day at 10:00.

Phew.

Another solo overnight passage done. IT feels great to be “home”; in this case, home is the Port Edgewood Marina, a few miles south of downtown Providence, Rhode Island. I’m here because the marina people are very nice and they offer extremely good monthly rates. I’m paying ¼ of what I was paying for the week in A.C.

This is also a great place to put the finishing touches on the boat for its July passage across the Atlantic. My friends Richard and Melanie are also here, so it’s always more pleasant to work with helping hands and advice available.
The trip from Atlantic City, 215 nm, almost 400 km, went as planned. I left A.C. with light winds that died down my midafternoon. I retrieved the paravane birds, as they take 0.6 kts, off my speed, and motored on into the night.

By about 1:00 a.m., the winds had increased again form the NW, producing wind driven NW waves 2-3’ high. There was also an 8 second Southeasterly swell. The rolling of Dauntless had continued to increase, so finally I threw the birds back in the water (I had kept the poles extended). As usually, the roll was decreased by two thirds.

By mid-morning I was just south of Block Island. It is somewhat of a coincidence, but it seems whenever I have these long trips, no matter have many boats I see, or don’t see, as the case may be, there is always one, that after having gone hours and hours without seeing anything, a boat will appear that is clearly on a collision course.

But I saw him miles away and was getting ready to change course and pass behind him when he hailed me on the VHF. He said he just wanted to make sure someone was paying attention and I thanked him for the heads up.:)

Finally, 6.5 months, 700 engine hours and 4000 miles later, I’m back; at least for the time being.:dance:

Pictures on my Blog and by tomorrow on SmugMug

Welcome home Richard. I didn't know about the Atlantic trip. Do tell?

I spoke to Richard by phone yesterday afternoon. He sounded exhausted and still had several hours to go. I'm glad to hear he made it safely.

Back
Top Bottom