Winter Project Replace entire caprail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I gotta rail wide enough for my ol big ass and a beer .

Al we only drink the California wines .

Apparently not! But I do happen to have a bottle of a favorite California Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel onboard as I speak...

img_226830_0_a8da7630db4bfbaa7580a621e5583131.jpg

...along with some of my favorite California IPA from Sierra Nevada and Lagunitas.

To keep with the thread topic, in the background you can see the fire hose I use to protect my aft rail when fishing. When it gets messy, I just blast it (in place) with my electric pressure washer.

Behind that is the flagship of USCG Station Vallejo located immediately north of my covered slip.

Last edited:
I'm gonna check with the local fire house and see if they have any old hose .

Partition / bulkhead is ready for install , maybe this weekend .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 90
400 plus bungs later !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 90
Bulkhead / partition installed ready to trim out and put cap rail on .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 99
Oh my...your wife's got a lot of sanding to do!!!

Looks fantastic.

All bungs cut off and bulkhead trimmed with cap rail on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 78
My big ass bow / windlass platform is mounted and we took the saw horses home for good !!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 83
am i seeing a pattern here? (new favorite new rum,California wine,mexican beer) and still the wood work is awesome !! is now the time to break a bottle of champaign over the new cap rail ? great job;)

Stunning workmanship Pack Mule!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

Looks good, almost time to sit back and take in the view of all your hard work. Nice to see when the execution is as good if not better than the vision! Again lookin good!

First coat varnish on cap rail . Epifanes gloss thinned 50% , sanded and ready for second coat . Not sure how many coats we are going to do and not gonna say cause I know you guys will hold us to it:hide:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 134
That is going to look so great when you're finally done! I hear 12 coats are the minimum acceptable for seaworthiness...or was it 15?

:D :hide: :popcorn:

I'm pretty sure it is 15 ?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

That is going to look so great when you're finally done! I hear 12 coats are the minimum acceptable for seaworthiness...or was it 15?

:D :hide: :popcorn:
Ok you two ,stop you're killing me . I think there is some tall tales being told in the varnishing world . This is how it goes : you put four coats on but it feels like eight so you say you put on twelve because who will know the difference . We will do four or five coats and call it eleven because eleven sounds believable.;)
My wife is doing most of the varnish.I told her she could probably make a good living doing this full time .Well I got the hand jesture and it wasn't a pagent wave .:nonono:
By the way I think good brushes are worth the money .:thumb:

Here is the second coat on rail .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 137
Another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 160
Stunning! And I like your math?❗❗

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Lehman 135 Twins

She is going to be a beaut!

Do as many as you can until your done....Sometime there are those that will varnish until the day is gone, spend time enjoying the boat. Five should give you a good base and some depth. But then again I don't live where you do. Here in the PNW five to six would be enough for most.

Looking great, PM! Each coat brings more lustre...stop when you're blinded by the glare or have to wear sunglasses!

I absolutely love to look of well-varnished wood. Wish mine had some.

Fourth coat or maybe ninth coat :hide:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 148
WOW! Looking good! I bet you are surprising a lot of folks around the marina.:thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Pretty soon you'll actually be out there enjoying that beauty! Very nice work, PM!

img_233684_0_846ac589b224d6b5d56efb3515dca0f3.jpg

WOW! Looking good! I bet you are surprising a lot of folks around the marina.:thumb:
Thanks , Maybe now we are worthy of sticking around on this dock with some of the nicer boats .

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Pretty soon you'll actually be out there enjoying that beauty! Very nice work, PM!

img_233891_0_846ac589b224d6b5d56efb3515dca0f3.jpg
That's right and we can't wait . I see you and the Coot but who is in the GB? Looks like a nice place to hang out .

That's right and we can't wait . I see you and the Coot but who is in the GB? Looks like a nice place to hang out .

We're in downtown Petaluma, just north of the D St bridge in the turning basin. This place is crawling with restaurants, bars, breweries and unique shops.

img_233927_0_891234e33f51162401d17a620bd10af0.jpg

That's Giggitoni (Ray) in the 42 GB. Ray and Mark put me in the middle since their boats look so much brighter and shinier next to my bucket of dull. :socool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom