Reco's for the Gulf Islands, BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or, just crack each bottle and take a sip from each one before entering. Then it just becomes bar stock. I do it every time I return from the US.

Thanks for reading the blog. We also do buy wine in Canada, but have yet to find something close to what we really prefer. Paying duty was not a huge deal to us, it became part of the trip. We like cruising in Canada and find the Canadians to be very friendly especially the Customs people we have dealt with over the years. Our biggest gripe with Customs is re-entering the US. They just seem so grumpy and lacking some in the people skills department. Yes, they have a job to do and I am glad they do it, but a little kindness goes a long way. Ahh, but that is another thread.......

Do you happen to remember what the duty rate was. I too am thinking of going this route also. I like that Sleemans Honey Brown, but $60 for 24 beer, is pretty steep. Thks.

Thks roche and kolive. I can live with that price.

Indeed if you can make it to Montague, the hummingbird pub and the bus are an absolute must!
:)

Agreed! The bus ride was hilarious, especially for our kids!
Don't forget to take some pocket change along, the bus ride was free but the driver makes his living off the tips.

Thanks for reading the blog. We also do buy wine in Canada, but have yet to find something close to what we really prefer. Paying duty was not a huge deal to us, it became part of the trip. We like cruising in Canada and find the Canadians to be very friendly especially the Customs people we have dealt with over the years. Our biggest gripe with Customs is re-entering the US. They just seem so grumpy and lacking some in the people skills department. Yes, they have a job to do and I am glad they do it, but a little kindness goes a long way. Ahh, but that is another thread.......

I did the trip to PLI two years ago, and am thinking about Desolation this year. I didn't stop over in Nanimo, but really liked Pender and Telegraph. Great trip.
DSC_6691
You can see from the second picture where the TF banner picture was taken.

As you said, the Canadian customs folks were quite friendly, and I was expecting a bad experience on the US side (I didn't buy a sticker ahead of time). I cleared customs at Friday Harbor and found them to be equally friendly. It was a pleasant surprise.

Attachments

• DSC_6689.sized.jpg
    DSC_6689.sized.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_6691.sized.jpg
    DSC_6691.sized.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 109

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom