Engine Room Access - How Important Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you all implying my wife going to aim for waves when I go into the ER? Hmmm... better check the insurance policy. :facepalm:

She's knows when to expect me... I hope. There are no exposed moving parts in my ER - everything under a cover and I have a handrail surrounding the engine to hold onto. No worries there. Then there is the issue of how she could possibly hear me screaming over the Cummins running at 1800 RPM.

Dave

Last edited:
Trawler Salon ER Panels

I have a 1982 41' PT Trawler with 3 Engine Room panels. It's a pain to pull them up and slide them on the floor to a safe spot so they don't fall on your head. I am getting ready to redo the floor and I can already see the scratches in the refinished floor.

It seems to me there has to be a better solution, like hydraulic arms on a hatchback.

Anyway, I would love to know if anyone else has come up with a better solution.

Thanks

On Sandpiper, a 40' single engine displacement boat, the engine room is fairly spacious and headroom is tall enough for me to move around in a crouch. I am 6' 1", 175#. I can move around three sides of the boat and have easy access to all four sides and top of the Lehman. There is probably 3 to 4 feet between the engine and the fuel tanks on either side.

I can enter the engine room through a vertical door at the front of the engine room or stick my head in to do a quick engine check or access the fuel tank selector panel. At the back of salon, there is a hatch in the floor which I can hop down into the engine room. If I want more access, there are 4 large removable floor panels under the carpet.

I do engine and generator fluid checks and give the engine room an inspection before starting the engine. I close and open the two seacocks to make sure they open and close freely and inspect strainers for debris.

While under way, I do a hourly engine room visual inspection through the engine room door and on every other inspection, hop down into the engine room for a more thorough inspection. I check the temperature on critical components with a temp gun and look around for any leaks, unusual noises or anything amiss.

Sandpiper has more than adequate gauges and alarms but a hourly engine check has been part of my routine for over 35 years. I have caught issues before they get out of hand and before any indication from gauges or alarms.

I would not own a boat with a confining engine room or poor access. I spend too much time down there and comfort and the ability to move around is at the top of my list. I keep my weight down and maintain flexibility so I am able to continue as I get older. When I can't get into the engine room and move around easily is when I give up boating.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom