Best antifouling paint for PNW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never, ever use a pressure washer on a painted surface underwater. Unless blasting the paint off the hull is your intention. :D

Have about a regular garden-variety hose nozzle? Would that provide a strong enough stream to remove the scum without damaging the paint in any way?

Have about a regular garden-variety hose nozzle? Would that provide a strong enough stream to remove the scum without damaging the paint in any way?

My guess is that not only will the garden hose not damage the paint, it won't remove the fouling growth either. But you can always give it a shot.

Never, ever use a pressure washer on a painted surface underwater. Unless blasting the paint off the hull is your intention. :D

Why is that? Something to do with the pressure washer being underwater? (Not arguing whatsoever -- just trying to learn something.)

Why is that? Something to do with the pressure washer being underwater? (Not arguing whatsoever -- just trying to learn something.)

In order for the pressure washer to overcome the ambient water resistance and be in any way effective, the tip of the wand must be placed very close to the surface being cleaned. At this distance, the water pressure is extremely high and difficult to control. Not only are you likely to blast paint off the hull but you may very well gouge the fiberglass. Don't even think about doing it with wood.

Room Seven,
Is your boat aluminum?

No, 'glass. I think I'll try the garden hose nozzle, perhaps coupled with a *soft* deck brush (I was using a pretty stiff deck brush before).

I don't know if it's typical of aluminum boat antifoul paints but the black stuff I put on my aluminum skiff is VERY soft. Drag your hand across it and your hand is black.

Speaking of black ........ One of the local fishermen in Craig AK thinks black antifouling paint works better than anything else. So I mention this in the interest of starting another old wife's tale ... As if there wasn't enough. I'm old enough to think it won't look like a boat unless it's red. Hmmm but there are a lot of red barns. And Larry's Boomerang looks wonderful in green.

Copper affects paint coloration, so darker anti fouling paints can have a higher copper load than lighter colors. That being said, I have never found any color of a particular line of anti fouling paints to be more effective than another.

Let's not forget putting cayenne pepper in the paint or ground up pennies. ;)

Canadian regs don't allow anti-slime additives.

quite a irony.. you cannot have anti slime in your paint as it may " hurt" the environment..
but Victoria can pump raw **** into the waters of the Sound..

food for crabs and thought..
:banghead:

HOLLYWOOD

Newton's Third Law. That's all I have to say on the matter. ;)

Yep, definitely a factor. Thought I'd make up a smaller version of this...

Attachments

• Jetting Nozzle.jpg
    Jetting Nozzle.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 67
So building a zero thrust gun and dragging a garden hose and deck brush around with you in the water is easier and simpler than using a suction cup and scrub pad?

suctioncup.jpg
scrubbers.jpg

You're making the job much more difficult than it has to be. But hey, it's your time and your dime. :rolleyes:

SUCTION CUP! Now that's a stroke of genius right there! Seriously. Newton's 3rd law was playing havoc with 210# me everywhere that was out of arm's reach of the shafts or rudders (where I could hang on to brace myself). This could change my whole approach.

Don't leave me in suspense, though... How does the beer fit in the scheme? Does it involve a Kirby-Morgan helmet and a flexi-straw?

quite a irony.. you cannot have anti slime in your paint as it may " hurt" the environment..
but Victoria can pump raw **** into the waters of the Sound..

food for crabs and thought..
:banghead:

HOLLYWOOD

We are very quickly becoming an oximoronic country.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

SUCTION CUP! Now that's a stroke of genius right there! Seriously. Newton's 3rd law was playing havoc with 210# me everywhere that was out of arm's reach of the shafts or rudders (where I could hang on to brace myself). This could change my whole approach.

Watch and learn, Grasshopper.

For $62.00

A guy drives to my marina, puts his air tanks and other equipment into a dock cart pushes it to my boat changes into a wet suit straps on his stuff jumps into the cold water, and spends 1/2 hour in the murky water scrubbing my boat mostly by feel. Sometimes he has to replace anodes, again mostly by feel.

When he's done, he climbs out finds a hose and rinses the mud and critters off then changes out of his wet suit, gathers up his stuff, returns to his car and heads for the next job.

For $62.00! He gets no health insurance no sick leave and no paid vacation.

I can't imagine trying to save $62 by doing this myself.

For $62.00

A guy drives to my marina, puts his air tanks and other equipment into a dock cart pushes it to my boat changes into a wet suit straps on his stuff jumps into the cold water, and spends 1/2 hour in the murky water scrubbing my boat mostly by feel. Sometimes he has to replace anodes, again mostly by feel.

When he's done, he climbs out finds a hose and rinses the mud and critters off then changes out of his wet suit, gathers up his stuff, returns to his car and heads for the next job.

For $62.00! He gets no health insurance no sick leave and no paid vacation.

I can , I see it all the time,

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

fstbttms, thanks for the videos! Would have liked to see better detail of how you employed the suction cup, but of course that wasn't the point. I'll figure it out. I should have searched for your Pt. 2 video before changing my zincs for the first time, but that worked out okay. When the student is ready, the teacher will come.

Wouldn't be $62 here in Alaska! Not enough competition to keep prices down, I suspect. Me, I tend to do my hull work at the end of a boat dive, when I'm already geared up and in the water anyway. The ladder is down, the water is clear, and I'm a lot cooler & more comfortable than I would be jumping right in and getting to work. YMMV.

Wouldn't be $62 here in Alaska! Not enough competition to keep prices down, I suspect.

Nor would it be $62 here in the Bay Area. $2/foot for a powerboat is dirt cheap anywhere IMHO, but especially considering the really crappy dive conditions found in South Carolina.

Last edited:
I suspect wages are lower in SC than in SF or AK.

It's really only a 28' boat, the rest is the swim platform and bow pulpit. On the documentation certificate it is a 28' boat.

Jacksonville is $2/foot. That is one of the reasons I do it. We have an AC hookah and are both PADI certified plus I personally like to see (feel) what's going on under the water on Hobo.

Do divers charge or do you pay by the waterline or documented length?
My diver charges me by what I told him. If you look up a Camano Troll it will be listed as 31' but when mine was built it was listed as 28'. Same boat just a different way of measuring.

Last edited:
Most hull cleaners charge by the foot, usually based on the length on deck (LOD.) If you were to call me and say you have a Camino Troll, I'm charging you for 31 feet. That said, I'm not going to squabble over a couple of bucks. But I'm also going to charge you more than $2/foot. :D

Back
Top Bottom