What solvent for (Crisco) transducer oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
I have depth-sounder transducers mounted inside the hull. Each lives in a short piece of PVC pipe bonded to the hull with 5200. The pipes are filled with oil - probably Crisco to judge from the part-empty bottle nearby. One of the tubes has leaked at the 5200 joint and a layer of dried oil coats the bilge, float switches, pumps etc. The dried oil has a firm rubbery consistency and has proved immune to degreaser, kerosene, hot water and dish washing liquid. Any ideas what I can use to clean this crud off without disolving the plastic pumps and pipes?

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 109
Greetings,
Mr. S. How' bout a whole mess o' hush puppies and southern fried steak? Them suckers soak up the biggest gobs of grease I ever see'd. If that fails. Oven cleaner (Easy-off for example) which is usually lye which shouldn't effect plastic or paint. I wouldn't suggest pre-heating. It might take multiple applications. In lieu of the "Crisco" I use mineral oil or I suppose you could use anti-freeze. Almost anything that doesn't evaporate like water would.

Last edited:
I heard antifreeze works fine for these, too. I've tried just straight water and got a good signal.

Greetings,
Mr. Ski. Yup, pretty much any liquid will work but I would caution those who haul every year due to winter conditions to use something that doesn't freeze. Cheap scotch comes to mind as it's not very good for anything else...I was in error in post #2. The PVC mounted shoot through the hull transducers I have are pretty snugly sealed so water probably wouldn't evaporate.

Non toxic antifreeze is what Airmar recommends these days. Water works but it could freeze. Oil can dissolve the glue used to glue the cup to the hull (as happened in the OP's case).

Dish detergent usually takes care of grease pretty well but you might have to let it soak.

I burn vegetable oil for heating. The only thing I have found that will clean my nozzles is one of the purple cleaners like Castrol degreaser. I need to soak the nozzles over night for it to be effective. You might try a supply company for restaurants. Some of the degreasers for commercial kitchen hoods are quite effective and are designed for just the kind of hardened oil issue you have.

How about warming the degreaser solution? Not too hot...water at 150 degrees f. seems to always clean better than cold.

Thanks guys. I will try the suggestions in turn (with the possible exception of hushpuppies!) and let you know what works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom