Would this make a good tender?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
image-1197683239.jpg

I prefer an actual inflatable. Lighter, also never need to worry about fendering off, as the whole thing is a fender!! That one is pretty big, too. But it depends on how you intend to use it. I am fine running my 8-foot, 2hp dink around with 1-4 people. But it is dang slow. If you want to cover any serious distance, you need something to plane out and that means about 8-10hp for two people. I put up with such a minimal dink in exchange for easy towing, and a motor I can carry with one hand.

All depends on how you intend to use it.

So is this roplene stuff soft or hard?

I think it is hard, but not 100% sure of that.

It's hard plastic I'm pretty sure. I like, I think it would make a good darn tender.

At one time we were thinking of buying a rigid (hard fiberglass).

The best part about this one is you never have to worry about leaks or puncturing it.

Think it weighs like 600bs with that 25hp. Might be too heavy.

Think it weighs like 600bs with that 25hp. Might be too heavy.

Our Caribe DL12 weighs about 800 with a 40 Hp Etec. What are you planning to use to lift it?

What is the weight rating for your crane? What tender have you been using? Also, what did the boat builder generally offer on the boat?

I do have one other warning. Triumph has encountered some issues when sitting extended times on trailers or racks. Roplene tends to give, hence it's indestructible nature. But that also means sometimes warped or otherwise damaged hulls, especially in hot climates.

There are many happy triumph owners. Incredible toughness. Some owners swore they'd never have another fiberglass boat but only Triumphs. But there are many with deformed hulls who became quite angry. A few also supposedly with cracked hulls but that would be more obvious. Where the biggest problems with deformity seemed to come about were boats put in dry storage facilities. The owners would say the dry storage marina damaged their boat. Then the marina would say wasn't them. And I believe even the triumph manual at some point included some warnings.

It seems to me that would make a lousy tender. None of the advantages of an inflatable and most of the disadvantages.
Not soft sided =scratched mother ship hull
wet ride.
low round tubes = not much interior space for given length
can't be deflated.
Heavy.
Not easily repaired.
Just my opinion.

Crane rating is 600lbs.

I've never had a tender so don't know what's good/bad, but the actual inflatable sounds better so it doesn't bang on the hull and scratch the boat as SOF said.

Just saw this roplene thing and thought it looked like a decent deal.

My Kayaks are of blow molded plastic. They rest on a 1" diameter stainless bar that I have put a piece of plastic hose over. They sit there all the time they are not in the water, so over 99% of the time. They deform in hot weather. they also remember their original shape and always go back to it. They are hard, but don't scratch the mother ship, as they are not that hard. I think the material described in that ad is probably similar.

Crane rating is 600lbs.

I've never had a tender so don't know what's good/bad, but the actual inflatable sounds better so it doesn't bang on the hull and scratch the boat as SOF said.

Just saw this roplene thing and thought it looked like a decent deal.

If your crane is rated for 600 and the tender and motor weigh 600, I would never go that heavy on it. Once you added fuel and other items to the tender you would be really pressing your luck. I personally never go to 100% of the crane capacity.

If your crane is rated for 600 and the tender and motor weigh 600, I would never go that heavy on it. Once you added fuel and other items to the tender you would be really pressing your luck. I personally never go to 100% of the crane capacity.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not sure it weighs 600. The engine is 150. I'm double checking on that boat weight. 450 sounds high.

We have a full fiberglass dinghy made by Jolly Boat with a 25 hp on it. As a dinghy goes it is great, 4 or 5 people no problem, very stable, can run 25 mph with two on board... Now the bad, it is heavy. Had a crane rated for 800 lbs and it groaned lifting it. The fiberglass tubes are a real problem, always banging into our boat when it is in the water. Getting on and off, need to fender off or it will be glass on glass. We love the boat but would never get another for these reasons.

First question is where will you be cruising?

Anchor out a lot?

Water ski much?

Dog to get ashore 2 or 3 times a day?

New cruiser-- not much experience.

Initially will cruise Texas gulf coast while kids still in HS and Bahamas in the summers.

Plan to anchor out quite a bit.

Kids do ski and wakeboard.

Do have a dog.

I guess it would be great for a big boat, but too heavy for what you've been looking at so far. 600 lbs. Is a lot when strung to a single lift point, especially in seas of any kind.

Can't speak to the question of if it makes a good dinghy but I have owned a Triumph 21' Center Console since 2004 and the Ropelene Plastic Hull material is tough as nails. The color is solid thru the material and you can't really hurt this stuff. As fas as being used for a tender, you may need some fenders and adequate davits / lifts but I can tell you that you won't wear this boat out! Ever....Slowpoke

Can't speak to the question of if it makes a good dinghy but I have owned a Triumph 21' Center Console since 2004 and the Ropelene Plastic Hull material is tough as nails. The color is solid thru the material and you can't really hurt this stuff. As fas as being used for a tender, you may need some fenders and adequate davits / lifts but I can tell you that you won't wear this boat out! Ever....Slowpoke

Yes, I'm surprised for the right applications they haven't been more successful. Great utility boat, rental boat, just play around boat. I think they'd do even better if they added a couple of sizes beyond the 21'. Only warning was for OP to look at weight and the fact to check for warp or hull damage, especially when delivered on a trailer. Poorly prepared trailer or racks can cause issues. Never saw any on the lake we lived on in NC as there was no dealer within a hundred miles.

This sounds like similar construction to the BULLFROGS. All plastic. They are tough heavy,and the owners love them. The toughness allows the owner to beach the boat without worrying about our sharp rocks and barnacles ripping holes. Scratches yes but unless really stupidly operated the boats withstand far more abuse than any inflatable.

Of course if you nail a rock at speed nothing is damage proof.

I would think fendering off from the big boat will be neccesary.

Not for everyone and you must look at the pros and cons. There will be cons.

I simply googled Roplene last night and came up with a bunch of info including the owners assoc. Try it for more info.

If the price is right and you can live with the cons I personally think it would be a good candidate but note I've never seen one.

Although I've not seen one I have welded plastics like this, and been around others who are good at it. Repairs should be possible with the right plastics, welders, and equipment. I think though for this the hot air should be inert, nitrogen or argon, as just hot air may degrade the joint. You want a high quality weld, not just stuck together. Means also that brackets could be added this way if wished.

I think I'm liking the idea of an actual RIB with the soft sides. Seems like that would be easier on the main boat when winching it up to the top deck. I can see this hard dingy banging around smashing things possibly?

This roplene tender is $3000 with a 25hp Merc. Thought that sounded like a decent deal, but I really don't know.

I've seen a 10' RIB with a new 15hp Yamaha asking $3500. Don't remember brand RIB.

Saw a 2013 11 Zodiac RIB with a 9.9 propane outboard asking $5700.

Are there certain RIBs to stay away from? I understand outboards but RIBs are knew to me.

I think I'm liking the idea of an actual RIB with the soft sides. Seems like that would be easier on the main boat when winching it up to the top deck. I can see this hard dingy banging around smashing things possibly?

This roplene tender is $3000 with a 25hp Merc. Thought that sounded like a decent deal, but I really don't know.

I've seen a 10' RIB with a new 15hp Yamaha asking $3500. Don't remember brand RIB.

Saw a 2013 11 Zodiac RIB with a 9.9 propane outboard asking $5700.

Are there certain RIBs to stay away from? I understand outboards but RIBs are knew to me.

Really the biggest issue on ribs is Hypalon vs. other. Hypalon will hold up better in most cases. Materials of the floor may vary too.

Back
Top Bottom