View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #83
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Although a bit of thread creep, here is the question - at what point is a delivery Capt needed?

Here is my story; two years ago I was about to close on a larger vessel. It was agreed possession would not take place until the vessel was delivered from San Diego to the PNW with me and one other crew assisting the top notch Capt. The Capt had made the journey about 20 times, delivered similar vessels world wide and was responsible to the PO with me paying the Capt costs but the PO's insurance covering the vessel until closing occurred. Unfortunately an 11th hour glitch killed the deal.

It would seem that unless the Capt is schooled in the vessel and knows the waters, he is not the right guy. This forces the owner to do some homework but why turn your vessel over to a stranger with unknown duty specific credentials for a mission the owner may perform ultimately better?
Three reasons. First, you don't have the time right then. Second, a good captain with knowledge of the area will be more knowledgeable and experienced than you. Third, captain might have more mechanical experience in the event of problems.

Now, if you're comfortable and have the time, then fine to go without. Certainly the wrong captain doesn't help things. But there are many excellent delivery captains available if one is needed. Just have to find the right one.