Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. H. Sorry. The ODD time my humor is just a bit too obscure.

Please don't apologise my friend. The different people from all over the world and they way we all have a laugh in our own way is what I like about this place.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Hendo-I am late to the party as usual, but really sorry to hear about the 3,300 psi eyewash! Hope all heals well! As said before-enjoy the drugs, they're legal!

Can't wait to see the turnover, for us AXE has been rightside up, now we will see her upside down from Dowunder! Good luck with with the flip!

Matt, just saw this, so sorry, things happen, but it`s tough. Fortunately we adapt well even if things don`t turn out as we`d like. I hope for the best for you.
I`ve seen a brolga, just once, in remote Katherine Gorge (Nitmiluk), a Northern Territory National Park. They are seriously big birds but would struggle turning Axe right way up.

Gday all,
Well the flip went very well. I am Very Happy with how it went. The crane driver tells me AXE weighs 3.5T at the moment.

I took my GoPro3+ down and am in the process of uploading it to youtube. Once done I will post the link for those that like to watch that kind of thing.

Oh and I got a call to say AXE's Anchor Chain arrived. I order it through work and paid only a 1/4 of what I would have paid retail. STOKED :dance: Now she has a kick arse anchor and now she has 100mtrs of 8mm Galvanised Grade L Rated and Certified Short Link Anchor chain. I will sure be sleeping soundly when at anchor that's for sure :thumb:

Here are some pics I took today also

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hahaha nice mate hahaha. I'm originally from QLD so my code is NRL. I'm a huge "Storm" fan. Don't ask me why. I'm a QLDer that follows Melbourne and supports the NSW Blues in State of Origin……..

Matt….whadaya sayin'…? Cough, cough cough…ahhhhh…support the Blues for Origin..? A Queenslander…? I'm choking…gimme a glass of water…wow…!

However…I must admit I have been known to support the Melbourne Storm, if the Broncs are out of contention - any team but a NSW team….and I'm just an ex Kiwi. It's funny, but I feel more pro Queensland than I do pro Australia. This country's too damn big to properly ID with. Sorry, rant and thread hijack over…now where were we..?

Nice! We just had a "Blood" Moon Eclipse.....and the AXE is flipped? Ohhhh what's next, did you find the black box under her?:eek:

Nice! We just had a "Blood" Moon Eclipse.....and the AXE is flipped? Ohhhh what's next, did you find the black box under her?:eek:

Heya Swampu. Apparently that eclipse happened in Australia too but not Western Australia so I missed out lol. No black box. I am sick to death of hearing about that bloody topic.

Maybe now that the 5th ferry rolled today we will see something else in the news.

Cheers for your comment mate

Regards
Matt

Last edited:
Greetings.
Mr. H. Ah, I see now what I was referring to in post #832 (protuberances) it's the cockpit extension....No worries.

Yo, Matt - Glad AXE's flip went well and that you are back up n' runnen. Bet Felicity is damn proud to be part o' this earth shattering (well... wave making anyway - lol) boat project you two have embarked upon.

The entry nose of your “ship” (7th pict down) is one proud looking SOB!! You B doen a right fine job - mate! What is total weight of your chain and anchor??? Ya might need to counterbalance somewhat toward stern?? Just wondering!

AS ALWAYS – BEAT LUCK TO YA!!

Happy Boat Building Daze!! – Art :speed boat:

Good to hear everything went according to plan!!! :thumb:

You would not want to haul that lot in by hand. You would end up with muscles in your poop,and just think of the bill if it came by aust post.
Gordon.

Yo, Matt - Glad AXE's flip went well and that you are back up n' runnen. Bet Felicity is damn proud to be part o' this earth shattering (well... wave making anyway - lol) boat project you two have embarked upon.

The entry nose of your “ship” (7th pict down) is one proud looking SOB!! You B doen a right fine job - mate! What is total weight of your chain and anchor??? Ya might need to counterbalance somewhat toward stern?? Just wondering!

AS ALWAYS – BEAT LUCK TO YA!!

Happy Boat Building Daze!! – Art :speed boat:

Hello my friend! Thank you for your support and kind words. You're really too generous.

The weight of the chain is 150ish kgs and the SARCA Exel is 30ish kgs + rope + windlass = approx 200kgs

You would not want to haul that lot in by hand. You would end up with muscles in your poop,and just think of the bill if it came by aust post.

Gordon.

Lol agree with you there. I've got a QUICK 1000W windlass for that.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1432.jpg
    IMG_1432.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Hello my friend! Thank you for your support and kind words. You're really too generous.

The weight of the chain is 150ish kgs and the SARCA Exel is 30ish kgs + rope + windlass = approx 200kgs

That means you and Flic must remain in cockpit to party! :lol: :dance:

That means you and Flic must remain in cockpit to party! :lol: :dance:

hahaha :lol:

1 x Carton of beer = 15.4kgs. In the interests of stability, I will need to keep at least 7 cartons in reserve below deck and about 7 up on the party deck :dance::lol:...

Mind you tho, after 7 beers I think the last thing I will be worried about is stability not to mention 7 cartons haha :thumb:

Great idea to use beer to equalize the weight distribution! I am going to give that a try.

Matt….whadaya sayin'…? Cough, cough cough…ahhhhh…support the Blues for Origin..? A Queenslander…? I'm choking…gimme a glass of water…wow…!

However…I must admit I have been known to support the Melbourne Storm, if the Broncs are out of contention - any team but a NSW team….and I'm just an ex Kiwi. It's funny, but I feel more pro Queensland than I do pro Australia. This country's too damn big to properly ID with. Sorry, rant and thread hijack over…now where were we..?

A Queenslander living in Western Australia supporting the New South Wales Blues!

What to make of it?

I must check the earth is still orbiting the sun, we indeed live in strange times.

You do of course know we haven't won a series since JC was a boy.

Glad to see the 'Blue Axe' progressing well, despite the setback. Pete, imagine calling it the 'Maroon(a sought of pink colour) Axe' :nonono:

A Queenslander living in Western Australia supporting the New South Wales Blues!

What to make of it?

I must check the earth is still orbiting the sun, we indeed live in strange times.

You do of course know we haven't won a series since JC was a boy.

Glad to see the 'Blue Axe' progressing well, despite the setback. Pete, imagine calling it the 'Maroon(a sought of pink colour) Axe' :nonono:

Ah ahahaha Pink! Hahaha ... She's defiantly a Blue AXE mate and yep I'm well aware of our ability not to win hahaha.

I hope the Setbacks are behind me now. I'm Not due back to work until the 28th so I will be be able to put a solid 90hrs in to her.

At this stage, I am aiming to have the hull extension and transom finished, the flooring sheeted, the engine access hatch cut, the bilge and sides painted and the engine fitted and aligned. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully it works out

Nice and nice lines on the AXE . I can't quit looking now that she's flipped . Glad your feeling better .

Ah ahahaha Pink! Hahaha ... She's defiantly a Blue AXE mate and yep I'm well aware of our ability not to win hahaha.

I hope the Setbacks are behind me now. I'm Not due back to work until the 28th so I will be be able to put a solid 90hrs in to her.

At this stage, I am aiming to have the hull extension and transom finished, the flooring sheeted, the engine access hatch cut, the bilge and sides painted and the engine fitted and aligned. That's the plan anyway. Hopefully it works out

Damn Matt - what makes you so darn LAZY?????

Must be haven Flic around!!!

:rofl::socool::D:ermm::lol::lol::dance::dance:

Nice and nice lines on the AXE . I can't quit looking now that she's flipped . Glad your feeling better .

Thanks PM.
Actually Im not feeling better, still got sore eyes. Below is a pic I took today when I went for my follow up appointment with the eye surgeon. He has given me some time off work and wants to see me again on the 28th but I can't spend 11 days sitting on the couch. Plenty of time to relax once AXE is done. In the meantime I will keep up with the morphine and eye ointment and make sure my fingers are out of the way before I use the saw :)

Thanks for your support mate!

How's your project coming along?

Attachments

• WP_20140415_008.jpg
    WP_20140415_008.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Finally finished uploading the GoPro footage for those interested in watching

Video 1 of 3 -
Video 2 of 3 -
Video 3 of 3 -

G'day gang. I toddled off to begin working on AXE the right way up in 12 months today. To celebrate, I did the hull extension.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
Matt - TY for films! :thumb:

Damn interesting videos – Ya Flipped Her Again WOW!!! You keep camera so far from the flip so we did not get too scared - lol! Noticed you stayed fair distance too... for most of the flip anyway! :hide:

Suggestion: Maybe you already have, but, I'd be careful on some stability bracing for those support poles. Ya just never know... freak storm wind, quake, or.... :confused:

Heck, that hull addition is like a play area. You could have boat chairs, a hammock, table, beer cooler and BBQ all at once. Or, you could place a small camper there for in-laws! :rofl:

You're The Man! Get it F'n On!!! :socool:

Happy Yacht Builden Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Matt - TY for films! :thumb:

Damn interesting videos – Ya Flipped Her Again WOW!!! You keep camera so far from the flip so we did not get too scared - lol! Noticed you stayed fair distance too... for most of the flip anyway! :hide:

Suggestion: Maybe you already have, but, I'd be careful on some stability bracing for those support poles. Ya just never know... freak storm wind, quake, or.... :confused:

Heck, that hull addition is like a play area. You could have boat chairs, a hammock, table, beer cooler and BBQ all at once. Or, you could place a small camper there for in-laws! :rofl:

You're The Man! Get it F'n On!!! :socool:

Happy Yacht Builden Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Hey mate. Yeah gave them plenty of distance to do their thing.

Thanks for noticing the stands. Yep agree with you 100% I started making them yesterday but when I was welding them, my eyes started to really play up especially the sore one so I was only able to make two. Once my eyes are back to normal I will make the other two and weld on chains to keep them taught.

I made the rear extension nice and big. Will be great for when I go diving and fishing as equally as good will be sitting down drinking a nice glass of red watching the sunset.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom