View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #7
MYTraveler
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKFish View Post
I hated to have to bite the bullet, but it was getting hard to nav via auto pilot due to course recovery upon heeling. Probably the best ancillary feature is the heave compensation while plotting on my personal bathemetry generator. It should smooth out the sawtooth from swells and paint a more accurate bottom profile.

Anyone else make the jump to this instrument?
I have the SC50, which I purchased because of its amazing heading accuracy (something under 1 degree) and heading consistency (something like 10% of the heading accuracy), which I wanted for my autopilot. At the time I was aware of its heave compensation capabilities, but didn't expect to make use of that. It was installed wrong as part of my boat's original commissioning, but the factory said tough luck. (The mistake was to not give it a clear view of the sky; it is positioned below the top of the tower so the tower, a radar and satellite domes occasionally block a GPS signal and I get an annoying abort error and the system switches over to a different, and less accurate, heading source.) I have since bought the MaxSea Explorer software with PBG -- that is pretty cool, but I don't really think the heave control is all that important to getting a good bottom picture, and least not in the conditions in which I fish.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote