Fueling at Vallejo, awooga!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Getting low on fuel so went to Vallejo Marina's fuel dock to fill two empty fuel tanks (have four). Previously, there was always someone already at the dock with attendant present, so I had always twiddled thumbs for half an hour at the guest dock. This time, however, the dock wasn't occupied. ... To call an attendant, there is a button to sound a horn. Pushed the button: awooga! Love that klaxon sound! Pushed twice more: awooga! awooga! I recalled the "dive" sound for U.S. submarines (leastwise in WWII movies). The friendly attendant soon came, explaining the horn had come off a U.S. submarine. Makes sense to me. Across the narrow strait they constructed and serviced submarines. (The Navy has pulled out, ruining the city's economy.)

Spent $611 for 150-something gallons. That's good for six months.

Last edited:
You're lucky. We just took 500 on.

On Friday, I took on 56gal!!

Regarding the Klaxon, I worked on subs as a civilian engineer in the mid to late 80's. Had to ride on sea trials and yes, even the nuke boats sounded that horn when diving. Maybe not in silent boat conditions, but they sure did sound it when I was riding. I think then it was electronic, though. Geez, not sure I remember exactly how it sounded!!!

Back
Top Bottom