Diesel Fuel Additive for Extreme Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll attest to this. It's a lot of fun watching Windmist buy a load of diesel! You should have seen the fuel guy have to pry that credit card out of his hand!!

I could've sworn you agreed to split the cost of that fuel load before we left the dock. Can I ever trust you again?

Lucky for you Al, I'm willing to give you another chance. After this weekend, it's time to go to Brownsville again.

To those of you pushing your favorite elixir, show us the empirical data that proves, without a doubt, the veracity of your heretofore unsupported claims. And don't forget to include the SMS data.

You'll never change their minds Al. . .it's a Placebo Effect . .adding something to it makes it better. . "Value Added". Fortunately, the store sold products, probably won't hurt their boat engines, just their wallets. But at least it makes the boat owner feel better!! LOL :oops:

I've only heard of adding gasoline to diesel in extreme cold environments like below -30 in the Arctic to get equipment started. But keep in mind, they're knowingly sacrificing wear and durability just to get the equipment to start and run. So they can complete an essential task. Not something they would do on a routine basis. The diesel fuel is the lubrication for the pump and injectors. Adding gasoline to diesel is just really a bad idea and will eventually damage the pump, injectors or the engine. Tell an engine manufacture you add gasoline to your diesel and you can kiss your warranty goodbye!!:nonono:

The first thing you will notice after adding about 2% gasoline is a reduction in black smoke and soot on the transom. Go figure. I could spend $100 to $200 per gallon for additives to do this or $4 per gallon for gasoline. ...........
You put gasoline in your diesel? Where did you get this idea? Engine manufacturer? Boat manufacturer?

I see this as just another case of "internet experts" pushing their favorite family home remedies upon an unsuspecting crowd.

I hope that anyone seriously considering adding gasoline or ethanol to their diesel tanks will consider the REAL effects on hardware and safety. Your lives and your family's lives are at stake. This is a boat, not some 30 year old pickup truck. PLEASE, seek the advice of someone with credentials and experience to know the difference. And a call to your insurance company might also be in order.

If your injectors need cleaning, there are proven products for that. Need to kill some bio-bugs? There's a good product for that. Got water in your tanks? There's a way to remove that and prevent it from happening again. Nowhere on gasoline or ethanol do you see instructions for use for these issues. If you do this, you're setting yourself up for failure and financial loss. Sure...maybe you'll get away with it for some time, but the piper will need to be paid sometime. If it ain't labeled as a diesel fuel additive, it has no business in the tank.

Your insurance company might have a thing or two to say to those who have added unauthorized additives to their fuel and suffered a loss. Good luck on collecting in the event of a fire.

To those of you pushing your favorite elixir, show us the empirical data that proves, without a doubt, the veracity of your heretofore unsupported claims. And don't forget to include the SMS data.

I asked a friend who is a professional captain about putting two stroke oil as a lubricity enhancer. His answer was "there are products for that you can buy in any auto parts store which are made specifically to pour into low sulfur diesel. Why would you put 2 stroke motor oil in your tank which is designed for a different purpose?"

Made sense to me. I only put bug killer in my tanks. I've heard it is a good idea to switch active ingredients from time to time in case the bugs start to build up a tolerance to one brand. However if you keep water out you won't have a problem in the first place.

A lot of Mercedes and Nissan owners say their owners manual tells to add gas for cold weather starting...

Quoted from source below "Another version is to add one gallon of gasoline to 20 gallons of diesel fuel as a cheap easy anti-gel for winter fuel "

Mixing Gasoline And Diesel

as I posted earlier...I wouldn't do it but lot's have including the US Military in the Arctic in years past.

In super cold weather, the viscosity of the diesel is higher. Adding gas reduces viscosity, and somewhat decreases lubricity. But the cold probably still has the viscosity of the blend higher than normal diesel in the summer. I would not do it in the summer. Or do it in a boat where cold fuel gelling is not an issue.

Also, most marine engines have the injection pump lubed with oil, only a few are lubed with fuel (bosch VE, CAV). New common rail pumps are fuel lubed, I'd be careful with those.

Some old time "mechanics" used to recommend pouring a bottle of Coca Cola down the carburetor of a running gasoline engine to clean the carbon out. Dig deep enough and you'll find someone who swears by just about anything.

I think the best plan is to follow the engine manufacturer's instructions.

Art, sorry, I was mysterious with the acronym. ASN = "Anti SNake". ASO would have been better.
Users get challenged for scientific proof critics know they won`t have, satisfied additive users rely on personal experience, that`s criticised as "anecdotal" or "hearsay" and users scorned as victims of a con trick. I had a trustworthy mechanic, ex Navy, who put me onto a product(no longer available, I read because of a risk it caused cancer) which he said the Aust. Army used, I believe it cleaned up the tanks on my previous boat,(note: that was dismissed in another thread as "anecdotal") I`m less sure about "Fuelmaster" I use now. I accept additives are often a substitute for physical tank cleaning plus polishing or replacing existing fuel but also think noticeable improvement in the filter drain bowl contents says something. Is it the additive,the filter changes, a combination, or a happy coincidence? I`m as suspicious about coincidence as the critics about additives.

Spraying water with a Flit insect pump down a gas engine DOES remove much of the carbon crud build up.

Do it with a newspaper under the exhaust and be amazed.

This was discovered by folks with water injection added to their engine.

At rebuild time the engine combustion chambers were remarkably clean .

Scoured by the steam created.

Have done this a number of times to stop pre ignition or running on in older cars.

A lot of Mercedes and Nissan owners say their owners manual tells to add gas for cold weather starting...

Quoted from source below "Another version is to add one gallon of gasoline to 20 gallons of diesel fuel as a cheap easy anti-gel for winter fuel "

Mixing Gasoline And Diesel

as I posted earlier...I wouldn't do it but lot's have including the US Military in the Arctic in years past.

My 81 Rabbit diesel had the same thing in the owner's manual.

Diesel fuel for Arctic type work is formulated for that use without gasoline. No shortage of commercial data points with tar sands mining equipment a great example. Summer diesel in that old Rabbit during a Maine winter can indeed be an issue.

The question was "where did the idea come from" and it DID in fact come from many reliable sources including car manufactures.

Do it now? Probably not as often but with older engines it was an approved technique.

Would I do it??/ Not unless it was an emergency...but as we see it can be done "carefully".

The question was "where did the idea come from" and it DID in fact come from many reliable sources including car manufactures.

Do it now? Probably not as often but with older engines it was an approved technique.

Would I do it??/ Not unless it was an emergency...but as we see it can be done "carefully".

Actually the funny part was I only added gasoline one time to the diesel tank in my Rabbit because it was going to be a cold spell. I added per the manual to make the diesel anti-gel.
That was the ONLY time my fuel ever gelled! And the temp only got to +2 F.:lol:
I never bothered doing that again!

I added gas by Da Book to my 80 diesel rabbit and it was a total disaster.

Seems the PO had never used diesel in the car , just house hold #2 heating oil.

Conn. Yankee Farmer.!

As in a boat this stuff must have coated the tank walls with crud.

With the gas added the crud broke loose and kept plugging the fuel pickup in the tank.

Big PIA!!.

Diesel like all petroleum products is formulated with additives at the refinery for the region and season in which it will be used. Years ago when I worked for UNOCAL in Seattle, we would have a barge of fuel that was being redirected to Alaska to cover some shipping shortage. We would have to send crews down to add the correct additive package to the petroleum product. Literally pouring buckets of additive into the tanks.

Diesel purchased in California has more bug killer additives and less anti gelling additives than diesel sold in Alaska and Northern Canada and the formulation varies by the time of year.

So if you fill your diesel truck tank in Seattle in September and put it on a ferry or barge to Alaska. You may have trouble getting it to start and run during a cold winter day in January when the fuel looks more like congealed lard.

Back
Top Bottom