Interesting vessel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
This vessel, the Qwest, is currently tied up at Cap Sante marina in Anacortes, WA. I haven't seen this boat before and wonder if anyone knows anything about it. I will keep my eyes open for the owner, but so far I haven't seen anyone aboard.

It has a get home engine configuration I haven't seen. The main wheel is where it should be - single screw between keel and rudder. But the get home shaft runs underneath the rudder and comes out the back end of whatever the heck you call the flat plate that the lower rudder pintle goes into that extends back from the keel. You know, the rudder thingie. Anyway, it also has an athwartships prop that I assume acts as a stern thruster, although it just sticks out there so I wonder about drag.

Note the paravanes and how far back they are. I wonder if they work as well in that position, as I understand the optimal point is usually just aft of the center of gravity of the vessel.

This is a very cool looking boat I would like to know more about if anyone is familiar with it. Wood? I couldn't tell. Has a serious hook - 350 # Forfjord and a deck mounted hydraulic winch. The foredeck doesn't have much in the way of bulkwarks, which is unfortunate as I think it might be pretty wet in a seaway.

Attachments

• 2014-04-12 16.20.26.jpg
    2014-04-12 16.20.26.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
OK, where's the boat. Did I miss something? Gotta link?

Oh boy,
I love this thread. Not enough interesting boats.

Wonderful boat. I see the flopper stoppers are far aft. One would think there'd be a lot of strain on the flopper rigging w a big following sea picking up the stern. Yes I read that the FS are best just aft of amidships.

Re the get home I think you're talking about the "shoe" Delfin. Dosn't sound like an easy thing to do.

Love the abbreviated flying bridge.

Last edited:
The vessel was written up in PMM about 7 years ago. As I recall it has an offset drive line with the prop shaft driven by a pinion block sheave arrangement . Bill Garden has done some innovative things. I'm sure Tad Roberts knows the vessel well, it is a BC icon designed for heavy weather and passage making.

Here's an interesting pocket ship I saw on our dock today.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1397362028.797281.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1397362060.604836.jpg
She has a quite a few big boat features.

Lehman 135 Twins

I think I remember in Beebes' VUP that optimal paravane placement is 28% of lwl from stern.
I'm sure that if William Garden designed the paravane system, it is correct for the vsl.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. D. Interesting indeed until I looked it up. Creative wording "...fibreglass boat is lined with a 2`` red cedar inner hull...". Hmmm...That's description for a wooden boat covered in FRP IMO. I think there was another thread discussing the pros and cons of this option.

Greetings,
Mr. D. Interesting indeed until I looked it up. Creative wording "...fibreglass boat is lined with a 2`` red cedar inner hull...". Hmmm...That's description for a wooden boat covered in FRP IMO. I think there was another thread discussing the pros and cons of this option.
yes but if the fiberglass was heavy enough the wood could be considered left in place forms

Mr. m. Correct. That IS one way to look at it sort of like a house is a coat of paint with plaster and wood underneath.
For the life of me I can't remember/find the thread dealing with the subject of glassing over FRP. There was one technique mentioned (someone's name) that evidently had good results and it may well be so but I've seen way too many wooden boats encapsulated with negative effects. Nope, not for me. Maybe in a salt water environment they'd do better but still...

Last edited:
RT Firefly;226730 I've seen way too many wooden boats encapsulated with negative effects. Nope said:
Naww c'mon RT, don't ya have faith in AXE!!?? lol

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Greetings,
That's not the technique used here. From the link provided, they built a male mold out of cedar, laid up 1/4" of glass over that, then drilled 7,600 holes and used stainless clincher nails to secure the cedar to the glass, then laid up glass to 1" - 2" (I recall) over the hull, then faired it.

Essentially, it sounds like a very labor intensive way of building a standard fiberglass hull from a male mold instead of female, then lining it with cedar. Not the concept of putting a glass skin over a wooden boat at all. My Cape George was a fiberglass hull with balsa parque glued on to the inside, then glassed over. In Quest's case they used the clincher nails to hold the liner, not a thin layer of glass, but it is the same concept. Should make for a very quiet hull of ridiculous strength, since back when they build this, they didn't know how thick to make the hull, so they made them real thick.

Alan Vaitses was a pioneer in covering large wood boats with polyester resin and various mats and cloths. He owned a boatyard in Mattapoiset, Mass. Started in the 1960's and authored several books on the subject. Vaitses method would mechanically fasten the glass to the wood while it was still "green"(uncured), much like this boat. Apparently he useed staples iirc.

Last edited:
I had an extremely interesting boat that was somewhat similar.

She was built of Douglas Fir strip planked up-side-down. The planking was initially fastened to the many forms that resembled bulkheads. Once planked it was turned over completely covered w FG on the inside. So it was a sandwich composite boat. Extremely stiff and strong.

This boat (Sumnercraft) had some wonderful design features (80% of the engine was INSIDE the keel) and I really liked the boat. I owned the Sumnercraft 29' Express and Willy at the same time about 10 years ago. When we moved to Alaska I had to choose between the two and was afraid of the wood in the sandwich construction.

Forklift,
Looks like a Monterey Clipper to me.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. With reference to my post #14. The ONLY wooden vessels I've seen that were glassed over wood were done IMO as a last ditch effort to get a few more years out of them as they were well past their "best before date". I was totally unfamiliar with the building technique described by Mr. D. A vessel built in such a fashion would indeed be quite stout.
Now, that brings us to AXE. An aged wooden craft to be sure BUT you're applying what I can best describe as the "Hendo Machination" an oft whispered about but seldom witnessed magical transformation/transmutation technique only hinted at in the recently translated papyrus scrolls of ancient Egypt. Aye, verily. Let it be known I would not hesitate to step aboard if I'm ever in the vicinity. You'll be fair dinkum fine mate.

There is a big difference between fibreglassing a new wooden hull, and covering up a rotting mess in a last ditch effort to keep the water out.

Because of the bad reputation that fibreglass over wood boats have, a well built one can often be quite a bargain.

Generally speaking, there is no magic spot to locate the stabilizers fore and aft. I have seen and used them way forward, far aft, and amidships. Most fishboats have them installed some distance forward of midships. Installing them at 28% of waterline length forward of the transom was Beebe's idea of a theoretical "pitching center" where motion was least. But I have not seen it make one bit of difference either way. Forward may be a bit better as it will flatten out the pitching.....

Quest is indeed an unusual vessel. Her 2" red cedar strip planking is actually a structural core, rather than a mold. The propeller shaft is horizontal and the main engine is mounted backwards over it and offset to port. There's a multiple vee-belt from the engine shaft down to the front of the Hundested CP unit. This is a lot more versatile, quiet, and smooth compared with a large vee-drive (geared) unit.

Eric, when I'm able I hope to take a peak at the stern and research a make if she is a documented vessel. She is a capable looking salty girl to me.

Lehman 135 Twins

Firefly; I am surprised that you have little faith in wood glass composite boats. Some what like steel and aluminum boats, its what products were used and the skill and care in putting it all together and protecting the final product.. Wood is still an excellent structural material and modern epoxy and glass carbon or similar cloths are capable of keeping moisture out. Metal fasteners along with all their problems can be kept out of the equation on a composite boat. FG boats certainly need protection from water intrusion be it gel coat or epoxy finishes not much different than wood or steel. Aluminum has its own set of problems and then there is monel and its hard to find one of those boats. About 2 years ago I went through the process of deciding what building material and technique to use on a one off build. My conclusion was its not so much the material or method as it is how its done and by who.

Greetings,
Mr. e. As I mentioned in post #20, the only wood/FRP hulls I was familiar with were the ready for the knacker, band-aid repaired boats. Pre 1968 wooden Trojans, Pacemakers, Chris Craft, Owens and the like were/are great boats BUT, and my only experience is with fresh water use of these vessels, also great media for dry rot. I remember back in the 60's, those cedar strip runabouts, so popular with the cottage crowd, were approaching 15 to 20 years old, starting to leak and their aging owners got tired of having to let them soak for 3 or 4 days after the spring launch until the leakage slowed enough for the boat to even be used. The most popular fix then was to slap on a layer of FRP. Problem solved, no more leaks. The fact that the bottom rotted out in short order was no big deal because the boat was already old and ripe for replacement.
I agree it's the construction and not so much the material but maintenance is the deciding factor in the longevity of any vessel.
As Mr. D was so kind to describe, the vessel in question was purpose built using a technique I was totally unfamiliar with and from Mr. D's description is most probably a fine vessel. There's no denying wood is an excellent building material for boats. It is simply that a wooden vessel will suffer much more from neglect than most other materials IMO.

>Wood is still an excellent structural material and modern epoxy and glass carbon or similar cloths are capable of keeping moisture out.<

No doubt , but many old boats were built with polly , not epoxy resin ,which can be a long term disaster.

Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. With reference to my post #14. The ONLY wooden vessels I've seen that were glassed over wood were done IMO as a last ditch effort to get a few more years out of them as they were well past their "best before date". I was totally unfamiliar with the building technique described by Mr. D. A vessel built in such a fashion would indeed be quite stout.
Now, that brings us to AXE. An aged wooden craft to be sure BUT you're applying what I can best describe as the "Hendo Machination" an oft whispered about but seldom witnessed magical transformation/transmutation technique only hinted at in the recently translated papyrus scrolls of ancient Egypt. Aye, verily. Let it be known I would not hesitate to step aboard if I'm ever in the vicinity. You'll be fair dinkum fine mate.

Lol hello Mr Firefly. Thanks for the clarification. Happy to have you onboard anytime my friend

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Firefly; I am surprised that you have little faith in wood glass composite boats. Some what like steel and aluminum boats, its what products were used and the skill and care in putting it all together and protecting the final product.. Wood is still an excellent structural material and modern epoxy and glass carbon or similar cloths are capable of keeping moisture out. Metal fasteners along with all their problems can be kept out of the equation on a composite boat. FG boats certainly need protection from water intrusion be it gel coat or epoxy finishes not much different than wood or steel. Aluminum has its own set of problems and then there is monel and its hard to find one of those boats. About 2 years ago I went through the process of deciding what building material and technique to use on a one off build. My conclusion was its not so much the material or method as it is how its done and by who.
Besides being one of the nicer human beings on the planet, Sam Devlin builds a perma-boat, IMHO, as well as a beautiful one.

Eric, when I'm able I hope to take a peak at the stern and research a make if she is a documented vessel. She is a capable looking salty girl to me.

That little Monterey troller copy was built by a short-lived builder called Cruising Boats of America. They (the builder) existed for a very short time in the early 1970's. For some reason no designer was credited for this boat.

Monterey1.jpg

And there's one other very similar Monterey copy, a collaboration between Bob Beebe and Ed Monk. She was to be built by Puget Sound Boatworks, and I believe at least one hull was built.

montereyclip.jpg

I've never tried to connect them before but the Monterey boats may have given birth to the Willard 30. The Willard lacks the trademark clipper bow and is not as deep (judging form TAD's pics) as the Clippers but I'm thinking there may be a connection. I'll post some pics tonight about another related boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom