Link 2000 Inverter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathy and David

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Irie Daze
Vessel Make
Albin 43 Sundeck
We were on our way bringing our boat home from Ft. Lauderdale and lost our inverter during the middle of the first night. The boat has the 120v lights and outlets fed through the inverter. The inverter appears to still be charging but not absolutely sure. I have as built wiring schematics from the PO and still have not checked all the fuses. All breakers associated with the system are on and I have checked that the correct voltage is on the load side of the breakers to eliminate a possible bad breaker. I have no indicator lights on the actual inverter however the heart interface appears to be functioning correctly. I am just curious if someone might have run into this before and there is a simple thing I am over looking. Thanks!

Is it possible the inverter shut down because the battery voltage dropped below a value that was programmed into the link? I know when we bought our boat that trying to understand how the inverter worked was the most difficult system to understand.

Check your wiring between the Link 2000 and the invertor/charger and also check the 2-2 amp fuses. The Link 2000 is your SOC meter and the inverter/charger control only. Your invertor/charger could be fine.

I don't have a link, but on my Magnum inverter I had a similar problem. It took a while to find because it was a pop-out circuit breaker on the back side of the inverter against the hull.

The panel is probably still on because it's powered from the 12V side.

I finally had to replace the breaker because it was tripping well before its rated 30A. That's the only problem I've had with the Magnum, it's been rock solid otherwise.

Are you able to use a multimeter. If so you need to check the AC voltage as it leaves the inverter. This usually requires you to unscrew the plate covering the AC connections and pressing the multimeter leads against the AC terminals.

Once you have determined whether you have voltage or not at the inverter then you can take the next step.

I am pretty sure I do not have AC input voltage because the inverter indicator lights are not on. I am pretty sure I do not have AC output because of the above statement. I will check the taps on the unit to confirm. The AC feed from the main AC panel is hot and has me wondering if there is a fuse between the inverter and main panel or an internal fuse located within the inverter. The reset on the inverter can not be reset due to lack of power.

Assuming it is the oft mentioned X box - Don't be surprised if your Xantrex inverter is toast, they have a very high failure rate especially as they grow old. Lots of threads on this Forum about this issue.

I was out on a 3-day trip a couple of weeks ago and on day 2, my Xantrex inverter quit after I unplugged an appliance. I had power to the unit, but no fault light and no AC power. I called Xantrex from home since it was 15 months into its 24 month warranty. Initially, the X-guy thought it was just a 12 month warranty, but assured me they'd extend the warranty if needed. When I told him my manual said 24 months warranty, he confirmed it. He then asked my about the GFI breaker on the unit....DUH!!! He opened a warranty case number for me and told me to call back if it wasn't the GFI.

The next time on the boat, I reset the GFI and ...viola! All is well again in inverter-land.

I will say that I have been waiting for this unit to fail after reading this forum. I was expecting Xantrex to not answer the phone or dodge the warranty issue. In both cases, I was pleasantly surprised. So count me as one of the satisfied (for the time being anyway) X-customers.

Are the (2) 2 amp fuses located within the inverter or remote to inverter? It appears I have no power to the inverter since there are no indicator lights displayed but would I have indicator lights on the invertor if the Link 2000 controller is interfaced in the system. Should the Link 2000 be able to turn the invertor on?

Are the (2) 2 amp fuses located within the inverter or remote to inverter? It appears I have no power to the inverter since there are no indicator lights displayed but would I have indicator lights on the invertor if the Link 2000 controller is interfaced in the system. Should the Link 2000 be able to turn the invertor on?

The 2-2 amp fuses should be the batteries and are for the controller (if my memory is right). Your manual for the controller also has a guide for a series of error codes. Do you see any? Also, with the controller in line, the power switch on the invertor should be left off.

As much as I don't like Xantrex, the Freedom inverter/chargers are good and the manuals have good trouble shooting guides. I'd continue there. :)

The times that I have had issues with my Xantrex it has been the breaker on the front panel has popped out. I think it has gotten weak.

The link 2000 should be able to. But you can unplug it and control from the inverter.
When I lost one a bunch of chips melted inside. Smell it. If no smoke smell probably some breaker or fuse or gfi needing finding. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I was out on a 3-day trip a couple of weeks ago and on day 2, my Xantrex inverter quit after I unplugged an appliance. I had power to the unit, but no fault light and no AC power. I called Xantrex from home since it was 15 months into its 24 month warranty. Initially, the X-guy thought it was just a 12 month warranty, but assured me they'd extend the warranty if needed. When I told him my manual said 24 months warranty, he confirmed it. He then asked my about the GFI breaker on the unit....DUH!!! He opened a warranty case number for me and told me to call back if it wasn't the GFI.

The next time on the boat, I reset the GFI and ...viola! All is well again in inverter-land.

I will say that I have been waiting for this unit to fail after reading this forum. I was expecting Xantrex to not answer the phone or dodge the warranty issue. In both cases, I was pleasantly surprised. So count me as one of the satisfied (for the time being anyway) X-customers.

Sounds like the new French ownership is making some needed improvements !

Xantrex Toast

I was at the boat today and pulled the cover on the inverter and immediately saw carbon deposits on the inside cover and it appears a component has fried. It appears to be a capacitor but I am not an electronics expert. My choices are to send in for a repair or by a new different brand inverter/charger.
My other choice is to take the 110v circuits back to the electrical panel and feed from the generator / shore power and just install a battery charger / monitor and get away from the whole inverter. Thoughts?
I guess my preference would be to replace the inverter with something of the same capacity that would fit in the current footprint so that it would be more or less a plug and play. For those familiar with the Link interface are they compatible with other brands?

First though , what do you use the inverter for , besides its dual use as a charger.

Very expensive inverters are required for a few applications , for most a low cost unit will do fine on a house fridge , TV or microwave.

Not so fine for air cond , water making or scuba compressor (Big AC motors).

First though , what do you use the inverter for , besides its dual use as a charger. Very expensive inverters are required for a few applications , for most a low cost unit will do fine on a house fridge , TV or microwave. Not so fine for air cond , water making or scuba compressor (Big AC motors).

I had similar situation. Ended up rewiring with heavier 110v marine wiring 10 gage I think. Relocated out of engine room under a bunk with extra vent fan to make sure no over heat.
West marine has triple points this weekend = 12% cash back. I sold the old one for lots of $$ for parts on eBay. Time for new one

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Where are the batteries? Is the transfer switch on the Xantrex blown too?

Boat electric is a much different animal than land electric. I know a few very experienced senior commercial electricians who readily admit they don't have a clue about all the issues on boats, especially all that DC stuff, grounds etc.

Where are the batteries? Is the transfer switch on the Xantrex blown too? Boat electric is a much different animal than land electric. I know a few very experienced senior commercial electricians who readily admit they don't have a clue about all the issues on boats, especially all that DC stuff, grounds etc.

Yup! I asked my electrician neighbour about vessel DC systems, and he said straight away that he knew nothing about them at all, and he's a boater.

Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler

I have a very nice running take out Xantrex Freedom inverter charger 3000 watts circa 2004 with a Link Monitor remote.

Due to my cruising locations and onboard equipment I preferred a PSW newer design and went with a "drop in" Magnum installed a year ago.

PM me if any interest.

I have a very nice running take out Xantrex Freedom inverter charger 3000 watts circa 2004 with a Link Monitor remote.

Due to my cruising locations and onboard equipment I preferred a PSW newer design and went with a "drop in" Magnum installed a year ago.

PM me if any interest.

Pm sent

Electricians

I mean no disrespect to anyone or their skills however commercial electricians would have no knowledge of DC systems because they deal with AC single phase systems and maybe AC three phase systems. My background is industrial and as I am IBEW (international Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) electrician. I was exposed through training as an apprentice both on the job and through extensive formal classes on all electrical systems. I have worked and maintained huge DC systems in chemical plants and have been exposed to just about every electrical power system in existence. A DC system is basically the same whether it is a marine application or on the space shuttle. The application will of course have special design specifications but a DC system is a DC system. Just because it is a marine application does not make the physics change. The wiring codes will be marine specific but it is still Direct Current.
My father was an electrical engineer and I built my first DC motor at the
age of 10 that was battery powered.
That reminds me of a quiz. What is the most dangerous type of electricity? It is neither AC OR DC it is static as in lightning.
The update is that I now have 110v on the boat and watched a little NASCAR on the TV. I took my inverted circuits and tied them into my main power panel
I will continue to evaluate inverter/charger options but not in a hurry.

Glad to hear you are operational. I think we can offer better advice if we knew a bit more about how your system was/is wired.

Where are the batteries relative to the inverter, how are they charged, are they used for anything else (house loads, starting, electronics)?

You description of your problem makes it sound like your inverter was completely free standing, that is it was not hooked into shorepower/generator? Therefor power was not passed through when the genny or shore was in use? (This is unusual, given the use of a Link 2000 indicates one of Xantrex' better inverters was being used). Or was it, and the internal transfer switch is no longer operational?

If we had the model of the old inverter, that would help; the fact that you referred to it as a "Link 2000" inverter was confusing, since a Link 2000 is a remote control and battery monitor, not an inverter.

I know you consider yourself to be an expert, but a great way to understand these type marine systems is to pick up a copy of Nigel Calder's "Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual". He goes into the whole business of inverters, batteries, charging systems clearly and in detail. Plus there is a plethora of good information about everything else on your boat beyond the electrical system that you will find invaluable.

I think you will find that the electrical issues on the boat are a bit different than the space shuttle or cars or houses. Just my guess, based on my own experience (I come from the electronics business) and that of many other cruisers including electrical engineers. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) as they say...

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback and I will look for the book. I do not consider myself an expert on boat mechanical or electrical systems but do consider myself to have an above average knowledge of electrical systems of all manner. My point is that just because a DC system is on a boat does not somehow make the laws of physics change. All DC systems are inherently the same. The only things that will change is the specific application and the wiring codes and methods. My weak point of knowledge is electronics and even though they have made life grand I am old school and prefer mechanical relays and contacts in electrical systems.
As far as my inverter it is a Xantrex / Freedom and is not stand alone. The AC input is from shore / generator. At this point I am not sure if the transfer switch has failed along with the inverter function. The batteries are remaining charged but I do have solar panels that contribute to the charge circuit. I am thinking the charger must still be functioning.
At this point I am rethinking the whole inverter concept. I know eventually we will be anchoring out but right now we are not and during cruise mode we run the generator. The inverted circuit supplies convenience 110v and the fridge power although the fridge is also 12v capable. It is just one 20 amp circuit that was inverted and I took it to the main panel to the spare breaker that used to house this circuit that the PO removed and made into an inverted circuit. Speaking of the PO he was an electrical engineer and left great documentation of all the boat installations. He hand drew all schematics of all electrical additions and kept great documentation. The only downside is that he didn't reference location so it is taking some time to identify location of components.
I can see a need for an inverter if spending considerable time on the hook but that is not in our plans right now.

Even though the IBEW and an electrical engineer are involved, a nice nautical inverter would be the icing on the cake. Some of the greatest boating experiences come from being on the hook watching the storm clouds pass or the kids frolic in the sand. You did ask the question ----

My Xantrex inverter has a built in transfer switch. I installed the inverter to power only the 120 volt convenience outlets (one circuit on my boat). AC goes from the original circuit breaker to the input of the inverter. The output of the inverter goes to an additional circuit breaker on the panel and to the outlet circuit. On shorepower, the transfer switch (internal to the inverter) passes the 120 volt power through to the second breaker and the outlets. Without shore power, if I have the inverter turned on, it supplies the outlets.

When I removed the inverter for service I connected the hot, neutral and ground conductors from the input and output together with wire nuts (temporary) and had power.

BTW: I wondered (for six years) why the inverter's cooling fan would run occasionally even with the inverter switched off. I recently found out (on an RV forum) that the fan is cooling the transfer switch relay which is powered whenever shore power is present. Makes sense but it could be a better design.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom