Dink Bottom Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
I am cleaning the bottom of the dink after bringing it home, what a mess. Is there a bottom paint made for the fiberglass V and the hypalon tubes?

I used Aquagard this year. Seemed to work.

Thanks,Researched it online and this looks like what I want to use.

Try a quart of *straight Clorox* with a GOOD squirt of detergent *in a bucket and a BBQ scrubber. *Use various scrapers. give it time to work the detergent help the clorox to adhere to the dinghy bottom .
For shells use "On Off" >>>add to water <<< use horse hair brush synthetic brush bristles will get trashed.

Beach sand and a cloth make a great " SAND CLOTH" * get it. Ha ! you can do this in the water at the beach just flip the dinghy over and back when you are done.

GENERAL SAFETY WARNING >>>>> *ONLY USE out side only with your back to the wind.

Donald & Mavis
Mystic knights of the sea.

CLEANING DINK BOTTOMS.

Try a quart of *straight Clorox* with a GOOD squirt of detergent *in a bucket and a BBQ scrubber. *Use various scrapers. give it time to work the detergent help the clorox to adhere to the dinghy bottom .
For shells use "On Off" >>>add to water <<< use horse hair brush synthetic brush bristles will get trashed.

Beach sand and a cloth make a great " SAND CLOTH" * get it. Ha ! you can do this in the water at the beach>> IF THE LAW ALOWS << just flip the dinghy over and back when you are done.

GENERAL SAFETY WARNING >>>>> *ONLY USE out side only with your back to the wind.

Donald & Mavis
Mystic knights of the sea.

I have two successful seasons with Aquaguard on the big boat and will try it on the dinghy this year.

Rob
37' Sedan

Rob,
I went with Aquagaurd, primed first and was happy with the product.

Pressure washer works great to clean it.

Pressure washer use in boatyards in Maine as of last year is now a "no no" on anything that has bottom paint on it unless the yard has a catchment system. Since a system costs around $25k, a lot of the small yards, like mine, can't afford to install one. So now I have to deal with a foul bottom next spring before I can paint it. And, you have to have a tarp or something similar underneath before you can sand and scrape.

I'm thinking of putting Aquagard bottom paint on my Viking. Its a huge job to strip the old stuff and put this on, so I'm looking for some opinions of this product before I move forward.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I used Aquagard this year. Seemed to work.

Me too. I painted the dink last June and it was in the water in NJ for 3 months then Florida for 6 weeks. The marina year-rounders all magically appeared as we hauled it before departing. After a lot of "we told you it was going to be bad" my wife and I spent 30 minutes brushing and hosing as it hung on the hoist. Then we put it in its chocks. It's all set to paint again next year.

If I had the guts I'd use this stuff on the mother ship but I really like Petit's anti-slime ablative.

Dave

Me too. I painted the dink last June and it was in the water in NJ for 3 months then Florida for 6 weeks. The marina year-rounders all magically appeared as we hauled it before departing. After a lot of "we told you it was going to be bad" my wife and I spent 30 minutes brushing and hosing as it hung on the hoist. Then we put it in its chocks. It's all set to paint again next year.

If I had the guts I'd use this stuff on the mother ship but I really like Petit's anti-slime ablative.

Dave

This is what I'm trying to get to.
The guy that sells it in his store uses it on his own boats and swears by it. But his biggest is only 31' I'm 44' so restripping because it doesn't do the job is not in my vocabulary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Update, I dug out my notes to find out how long ago I had painted the dink bottom (Dink 3/10 181 Aquagard primer and then black bottom paint). For me, and I had been keeping the Rib 340 in the water full time (long story), it didn't seem to offer much protection at all within two years. I have purchased a trailer now and she is out of the water for repairs and to paint the bottom again, but I will use a different product this time.

Lehman 135 Twins

Back
Top Bottom