Booms & Stern-thruster add-ons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi,

So I am looking at these:
Bow Thrusters & Stern Thrusters

Are they worth it? Any others that are recommended? Yes I can pilot my boat successfully most if the time, but why not add thrusters to have an extra measure of control when needed? Cheers.

Some things I have been taught and some I have learned about singles:

A single screw boat is run like a fork-lift - put the bow where you want it first and then use the rudder to place the stern where you want it. Remember, you are not steering the bow like a car is steered, you are moving the stern around so the thrust will be able to place the bow somewhere useful. If you put the rudder hard over and then put it in forward, the stern will move sideways and a bit forward, so once the boat moves sideways, put it in reverse. This will stop the forward motion but will still be moving sideways. Practise this maneuver by throwing in a cushion, or similar, and then "Dock" to it. You don't need much thrust, depending on your boat, so be careful that you don't shove the throttle forward, thinking you are putting it in gear! :dance:

Practise turning your boat in its own length using rudder hard over and just the gears. Do it in a cross-wind too.

Try backing in a straight line. Many times the best way to leave a mooring is backwards! There is nothing undignified in this maneuver, it is often very prudent because the stern is the part that is agile, the bow is always along for the ride. As you back, the boat will "walk" to one side, depending on your engine rotation. If you need to straighten out, turn the rudder to the opposite side you want to push the stern over, then select forward until the stern moves over to where you want it. You should still be moving backwards, use thrust to move the stern where you want it. Some boats will steer backwards nicely, try moving your rudder to see if yours will. My old GB32 steered backwards quite well, but only once it was moving sufficiently fast. Practise this one somewhere safe, too.

To tie to a dock, the easiest way and the least stressful to your crew, is to use a spring line tied to the middle of the boat, run to the stern. Practise putting the stern against the dock so that your deck hand can step, not jump, onto the dock, then walk in a confident manner to mid ships and take a turn or two on the dock. Even if the rest of the boat is not tight alongside, now you can use the gears in forward, with the tied spring, to put the boat tight alongside; the boat has very limited motion because it is tied. The stern line and the bow line will follow in a leisurely fashion.

Most singles seem easier to dock on a starboard tie, but it is a very good idea to practise a port tie too, so it all looks familiar when the time comes that you must tie on the port side.

Thus endeth the lesson.

We used one of these on our camano 31 as we didn't have deep enough draft for a conventional tunnel thruster. http://sideshift.com

We purchased and installed a sideshift stern thruster and have been very pleased with it on our GB32. We have taken lessons and can back and fill so that we don't need a thruster for most maneuvers. But my wife is happier with the thruster so we we boat more, we boat with more confidence, and we enjoy boating more.

Am new to Trawler Forum, how do I search for your threads on side shift? We are thinking of adding a stern thruster to our new to us Monk 36. Whitehawk37.

Am new to Trawler Forum, how do I search for your threads on side shift? We are thinking of adding a stern thruster to our new to us Monk 36. Whitehawk37.

We had a Side Shift installed on our Camano we love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a Side Shift installed on our Camano we love it!

Here's a pic.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1397237801.243865.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Use the Search pull-down and try "side shift" (with the quotation marks) -- I get at least 4 other threads returned...

-Chris

For anyone with a "new to you" boat, and especially if you haven't owned trawlers before, my advice is to not rush into any major additions or modifications until you are familiar with the boat and have used it quite a few times. You may find your initial ideas were not the best.

Corvifortuna,
Welcome to the forums.
If you are going to be in the delta, you may opt for one of the boatyard in the delta as they are quite a bit cheaper than svendsons.

You should post a picture of your mast. Your 'mast' plan sound very aggressive. I am unsure if you can safely lift anything from a 5 ft mast unless it is properly stayed and built very heavy. How heavy is the dink you are trying to lift up there?
You may consider a pipe davit as others have suggested as they can handle much more weight safely, they will reach to the stern of your boat, and have power winches built into them. They will also fold up nicely out of the way.

Although I have one, I dont find stern thrusters to be very useful. BUT If you want a good stern thruster, try Welcome to Dickson Thruster . They are out of Stockton and they can sell you the kit or install it for you. They are not overly expensive and since they are hydraulic , you can run it all day without overheating.

What marina are you at? We are currently at Bruno's in Isleton.

Scott

For anyone with a "new to you" boat, and especially if you haven't owned trawlers before, my advice is to not rush into any major additions or modifications until you are familiar with the boat and have used it quite a few times. You may find your initial ideas were not the best.

Ain't that the truth, but..! The first time or two we took Lotus out we had some 'interesting' times in the marina, and I swore and declared a bow thruster was top of the to do list. Here we are 12 years later - still no thruster - would hardly ever use it. There are other priorities by far - an autohelm being one...

I have run single and twin motor boats single handed for many years without the use of thrusters. When bow thrusters came along I indulged and found them quite helpful. My present boat hast twins variable speed bow and stern thrusters all tied into the motors with joy stick or remote control and there are situations where all this is helpful. I think as long as the skipper can handle the boat without the bells and whistles it is good to have them if you can afford the high price. So my attitude is as long as one is familiar with the basics no harm in extending control with gizmos. This is a little like understanding paper charts and basic navigation before becoming completely immersed in electronic chart plotters.

I have run single and twin motor boats single handed for many years without the use of thrusters. When bow thrusters came along I indulged and found them quite helpful. My present boat hast twins variable speed bow and stern thrusters all tied into the motors with joy stick or remote control and there are situations where all this is helpful. I think as long as the skipper can handle the boat without the bells and whistles it is good to have them if you can afford the high price. So my attitude is as long as one is familiar with the basics no harm in extending control with gizmos. This is a little like understanding paper charts and basic navigation before becoming completely immersed in electronic chart plotters.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom