Takin a trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Apollo32

Vessel Name
Sean P. Sullivan
Vessel Make
Apollo 32
Our trip in the Apollo starts in a week. I believe I have the majority of the kinks worked out on Sully. After being on the hard for a number of years, there was a solid weeks worth of work to be done; changing impellers of all sorts, put in a new hot water heater, fresh filters all around, new oil,some new electronics, etc. the admiral and I performed a three hour shakedown last week with great success. The head quit working, but that was due to an impeller being shot (the only one I didn't replace). After being a house boater for a number of years, I was absolutely amazed at the fuel economy of a single screw diesel. The boat is in Toms River, NJ and we are moving it to Baltimore. I feel we have a good float plan in place, with the trip taking three days: Cape May the first day, Chesapeake City on day two, and then into Baltimore on the third day. It could possibly be done in two days, but I'm definitely not pressuring myself into it, as we have the whole week off. The open water portion on day one, from Atlantic City to Cape May, frightens and excites the crap out of me all at the same time. After much hard work preparing, weather/tide checking,and diligent planning with no pressure to execute to the letter, I feel we are prepared. So, experienced cruisers, what am I missing?

Assistance towing policy?

The Delaware River can be a little unfriendly especially with a 15 knots or more of Northwest wind and the incoming tidal current. Are you planning to catch the tidal current ride up the Delaware River? You can get a 1-2 knot assist for over 6 hours if you catch it in Cape May just right.

There's plenty of water along the north side of the shipping channel so I alsways stay out of it till I cross it to get to the C&D canal near Salem, NJ.

Chesapeake City has a free municipal dock...pretty nice. Electric is $15, water is $10.

Definitely have towing assistance package from Boat US. The tides are going to be tricky, as daylight takes precedence over riding tides, but there's windows throughout each day where they will benefit us, according to the tide charts I am looking at.

Do you have a chart plotter? I plot my trips in advance on a PC and then upload them to the chart plotter. This makes it much harder to get lost or take a wrong turn. Of course you still have to use your eyes and follow the markers and the depth sounder over your pre planned route.

Definitely have towing assistance package from Boat US. The tides are going to be tricky, as daylight takes precedence over riding tides, but there's windows throughout each day where they will benefit us, according to the tide charts I am looking at.
Are you looking at tide charts or tidal current charts?

The current continues to flow in a direction (or doesn't change direction) sometimes till well past the actual tide change.

I have a chart plotter, a chart plotter app on my iPad, and I have paper charts. I was only looking at tide charts. Perhaps I should be looking at more?

I have a chart plotter, a chart plotter app on my iPad, and I have paper charts. I was only looking at tide charts. Perhaps I should be looking at more?

If you go slow...like 6 knots as I do...a couple knots is the difference between a day trip and an overnighter up the Delaware River.

I suggest getting a program with tidal current vectors in it (a free one like OpenCPN the one I use is good enough). Then I look to see when the greatest current going in my direction peaks and plot a couple scenarios to see when I get there the fastest based on the favorable current at several waypoints along the way and my estimated speed (with current).

Takes a bit of effort but from Cape May to the Canal at 6 knots...it can be something like an 8 hr trip or a 15 hr trip.

My last trip I did at 7 knots... Seemed to be the most comfortable and economical. I'll look at OpenCPN. Thanks for the tip.

My last trip I did at 7 knots... Seemed to be the most comfortable and economical. I'll look at OpenCPN. Thanks for the tip.

Since I am usually dealing with tidal currents and they may reverse two or three times during one day. I usually travel at a set RPM (2K for me) that gives me about 7 knots in still water. That translates in practice to anywhere from below 5 knots to above 9 knots.

You should probably take the current direction and speed into consideration for your trip. Fuel burn is related to speed over water.

I believe I need to do more research on this. Im having some difficulty figuring out what all I am looking at, on these tide charts.

The Delaware on a nice day is kind of like the Hudson but not nearly as benign, mostly because the downward current is constant and stronger. If the moon lines up right you can surf up and down it with a free knot or two (or three or four going down stream). Wind against tide, fugeddabowit, especially something southerly against the ebb; stay in Cape May and enjoy the many pleasures of the town. If it's calm, screw the current and enjoy the trip.

You can do whatever you want...but if I have the choice of going 9 knots or 5 knots for almost 8 hours in a body of water that there's not much to see and if you miss the tide and the wind picks up...it can be pretty miserable.

Don't use a singular tide reference station...especially when you have a program that allows you to figure your push all the way up with the flick of a finger and a few notations to let you know when you should be hitting each one and whether you are outrunning the push or falling behind.

Its not complicated...you just have to organize the data into an understandable bite.

thanks. looks like i have a lot of reading to do.

It sound to me like you have a specific planned date to leave. Having done those sections many times over the last decade, that would scare me a little. Be prepared to wait for good weather. If there has been 3 days of easterly winds off NJ and you decide to leave on the appointed day because it was planned for that day, you might very well end up selling the boat when/if you ever make it. Instead, give yourself 6 days to make your 3 day trip - 1 extra weather day for every planned travel day.

The journey is the reward. Don't get hung up on dates or destinations.

If the weather is bad...you can still do the NJ intracoastal...my suggestion for some stretches (particularly Ocean City to Cape May)...you just run the last 3 hours of the incoming and last 6 of the outgoing to avoid the really shallow channel spots...but it's not that bad if your draft is less than 4 feet.

I'm in no hurry, I have 7 days off. if I cant get it done in that time, she can stay where she is until I can resume the voyage. I'm not one to be pressured by timelines, although I do have to go back to work at some point!

If you think those knots are theoretical...I have pulled a few barges some days where I thought I was going backwards. That's my home waters and know it well from working it commercially and moving boats up and down it for decades.

OpenCPN - max flood at Cape May Channel today 1500, max flood at eastern end of C&D Canal (Reedy Point) 2000. Todays flood is only about a knot but by Apr 18th it is 2 kts.

While I like a calm day too... doubling my ride time up the bay could make me take a little worse weatherwise.

The info is out there for anyone that searches for it and wants to get the best push....

Last edited:
Apologies, I messed up my prior post, mind getting ahead of itself. I was trying to explain why for the OP's trip, using the bottom of the bay as the base station yields best overall result. What I meant to say, and completely bungled, is that at 7 or 8 knots, starting out a little after slack you will stay on the flood all the way up from Cape May to the C&D, and like wise back down on the Ebb. So you end up at the C&D at the virtually same time of current stage as when you left. Hudson works very similarly.

Personally I would rather transit when it looks like this, and give up a knot or two, rather than take a beating and for practical purposes give most or all of those knots up.

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

Last edited:
Again not really...going down the bay the you can't ride it as long as you can coming up the bay.

A lot of this planning has everything to do with what still water speed you are going to set your throttles at...or how much you are willing to change the throttle setting to maintain a given SOG.

My whole point is for a 7 knot boat...it's worth an hour or so of planning to see when leaving a certain spot makes it he "best" ride for you and yes that would include weather. I'm staring at my departure weather for the Bay this Monday...looks like anther day in Chesapeake City for me as the winds as of now are forecast to be 20G25 SSE with a decent ebb....ca you spell 5-6 footers at the Bay entrance?????? So no I'm probably not even going to move the boat on Monday.

But with computer tidal current charting software...its very easy to pick 5-6 current data points and play with ETAs and current velocities to figure how much you think you can shave off your "still water speed" transit time....for me whent the days are short...it means arriving in daylight or not by a longshot.

Well, there's news. Good and bad. I suppose I should start with the good.

First good lesson I learned was that I should have incorporated one or two more days into the trip to compensate for weather. I had been studying the weather patterns religiously for the period covering this trip, and they were favorable... right up to the point it was time to leave. The previous reports of weather with highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's were bold faced meteorological lies, as a massive cold front moved through the area. More on that later.

Another good lesson learned was that ActiveCaptain is an invaluable tool. A free app on your iPhone or iPad that puts Quimby's to shame.

Now, for the bad. I expected issues on this trip, as maiden voyages can be problematic at best. When departure time arrived, the previously mentioned cold front was almost on top of us, so it was raining and somewhat windy. I consulted with my broker, who is familiar with the waters we would be cruising in, and he said that travelling in such conditions wouldn’t be hazardous, but probably a bit "sporty". Boy was that an understatement. I came to the conclusion that if it was too much to bear, I could duck into a marina someplace and wait out the weather, which of course is a good contingency plan, but not necessarily a good foundation for how your day afloat should be conducted.

We left Toms River and experienced 1.5 footers in the river alone, nothing to terrible. As we entered Barnegat bay and headed south, waves were two, then three, then 4.5 feet with heavy rain and wind. The amount of water coming over the top of the boat was absolutely incredible. The crashing water created enough pressure to blow out the cabin and pilot house window seals, which made for quite the mess just about everywhere.

My buddy and I were busy mopping up water with towels in the pilot house, and my wife and son were below doing the same. Directional control was nonexistent at times as we were tossed around like a cork in a bathtub. Now, I've been in some scrapes in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I can honestly say that I have never been that scared in my life. I got on ActiveCaptain and found a marina not far away, and we ducked into there for the night.

I was extremely upset as we tied up. I felt like a fool for even trying to depart Toms River, and really didn't do much sleeping that night, partly because rain, sleet, and wind were pelting the boat, but mostly because I had made a very poor decision regarding the operation of the boat in crappy weather on waters I wasn’t very familiar with. My plan at that point was to take the boat back to Toms River the next day and just wait until June to move it; I also looked up ground shipping fees as I restlessly laid in the V-berth that night as well.

Once daylight broke, it was still rather windy and damn cold, and all the weather decks were coated in sleet and ice. I was seriously ready to throw in the towel. I was committed to returning to Toms River. My wife suggested going out into the bay, taking a look at the conditions, and if they were favorable, we could continue the trip, and if they were crap, we could then head back to where we started. I wasn’t too optimistic because the National Weather Service had issued a gale warning the night prior, and it was still active until noon that day.

At any rate, as we entered Barnegat Bay we were greeted by severe clear skies, a stiff wind, but 1 foot seas. We headed south.

Day 2's plan was to make it to Cape May, but if we didn’t, no big deal; despite having a place to be, we weren't pressured by that, so wherever we ended up was fine with us. The seas picked up a bit in the Barnegat, but after the previous day's activities, I considered them benign. The farther south we traveled, we got into very narrow and shallow passages on the ICW, but it was very picturesque and calm. Other than being cold, it was really fun.

Somewhere around lunchtime, a horrid noise came from aft, I was certain we had hit a crab pot or something. I got on ActiveCaptain again and found a marina a mile down the ICW. A quick call to them ensured they would be ready when we arrived. We pulled directly into the travel lift slip and were out of the water in minutes. there was nothing wrapped around the prop, but we discovered that the rudder wasn’t very tight, it had about 3 inches of play in it when moved port and starboard with your hand. If you shook it back and forth, it made the exact same noise we had heard earlier. I'm guessing that the turbulent water from the prop was causing the rudder to flutter back and forth, hence the noise.

The mechanic there took the whole mess apart, re machined the keyway in the rudder shaft and put the whole thing back together in less than an hour. It handled like a completely different boat then!

Still hoping to make Cape May, but not counting on it, we then shot for Atlantic City as a stopping point. We continued down the ICW. There were a few tricky turns in there and the tide was going out, so I called the local BoatUS people to talk to them about the area. They were very helpful and knew the area like the back of their hand. As we passed through Atlantic City, we attempted to raise a railroad bridge operator on the radio, but apparently he had gone home for the day, even though we were told via radio and phone that he would be there. We had to backtrack a few miles to get to the marinas at Atlantic City.

We still had a considerable amount of daylight left so we elected to proceed out the inlet and see what the Atlantic looked like, and if we could make an open water run 10 miles south to Longport, we would stop there, and if it was too nasty, we would just stay in Atlantic City. We could see before even getting out of the inlet that the Atlantic would be kind to us, so we proceeded south.

The part of the trip that concerned me the most was the most fun. Decent sized swells, but they were slow rollers and it really made for an enjoyable time. ActiveCaptain to the rescue again as I found a marina in Longport and made arrangements for overnight dockage on the phone. Given the last days events, my spirits were much higher as we tied up, my confidence in the boat, and my own abilities had increased significantly.

Day 3 was started like day 2, we hoped for Baltimore, but really didn’t care where we ended up as long as the ride was good and everyone was having fun. We all had to go to work the next day, so if we didn’t get to Baltimore, we would have to arrange transportation, dockage for a week until we could get time off to move the boat again, etc. Again, we didn’t let this pressure us and proceeded. We left Longport and proceeded down the ICW instead of the Atlantic, as the winds were still very strong and 5-7 foot seas were reported out there, which was evident as we crossed the inlet.

We had left on a rising tide, and a call to the BoatUS people again about the stretch of ICW we were going through was very helpful. I had heard all kinds of awful stuff about this stretch, but other than having to slow down as we headed through towns and also for numerous rowing teams conducting practice, it was extremely enjoyable. I actually liked slowing down to look around and enjoy the scenery.

We made it to Cape May, and again consulted the NOAA reports, which were calling for 5-7 foot seas in the Delaware Bay. We decided to go look at it because the weather report was old, and if it sucked, we would stash the boat at a marina in Cape May and head home.

The winds were strong out of the east in the Bay, but it really wasn’t that bad. I had to alter course to stay sheltered as much as possible on the eastern side of the bay, which added time to the trip, but we made it up to the C&D canal in 7 hours. I knew we could make Baltimore, but it would involve running at night, which wasn’t a concern because the winds were laying down and the markers are well lit and pretty easy to navigate. We would have hit home port at around 2am, and the admiral was none too pleased about it, so I decided to end the trip in Chesapeake City, feeling not one bit defeated that we didn’t get to Baltimore.

My son took the helm in the canal as we were greeted by calm waters, and setting sun in our face as we were dwarfed by passing ships of all kinds. Tie up in Chesapeake City was uneventful and I had a friend meet us there to drive us back to Baltimore.

Needless to say, the learning curve on this trip was damn near vertical. We didn't make it to Baltimore. But you know what, who cares? The last 90 minutes standing behind my son as he piloted the boat through the canal was a great way to end the journey, and is something I consider to be one of the best moments of my life with him, second to the day he came into this world. In the end, that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
Apollo, great post on your jouney. Glad you have found the true home in the boat and are safe. Enjoy your time with you family! Happy Easter!

Good story, thanks for posting.

Good story. Glad the trip was at least safe...i will say that last week's blow was not fun.

Back
Top Bottom