Site Tube Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dixie Life

Vessel Name
Aku Uka
Vessel Make
43’ DeFever
I'm wanting to install a site tube on my SS water tanks. The problem I'm having is I can't find the correct fittings for the tank (1/8" SS wall). A guy at the hardware store said I needed a 90 deg. mushroom head fitting. Any advice on what/where on the correct fitting?

Just put a tee in the outlet, with a ball valve and clear tubing, leave the top open. The tube could even be mounted remotely, like in a door jamb or similar. Mark the top when the tank is full. It's not like a fuel tank where vapours might be an issue.

Have you considered getting a Watercounter and getting an exact reading of your usage from a convenient vantage point?

The units that have a dial and small pump will monitor the tank fill depth with only a single hole in the top of the tank.

They with valving monitor a number of tanks . White Yacht pri$ed tho.

Dial reading will be in inches , you calibrate on first fill.

The water;meter would be more accurate , to the gallon if needed

Just put a tee in the outlet, with a ball valve and clear tubing, leave the top open. The tube could even be mounted remotely, like in a door jamb or similar. Mark the top when the tank is full. It's not like a fuel tank where vapours might be an issue.

That's by far the simplest way and it will work fine. I think I would cover the top of the tube with something to let air pressure out but keep debris from getting into the tank.

One caution - if you overfill the tank, water will come out the tube. A thru-hull similar to your tank vent would work better. Actually I can't see a reason why you couldn't "T" the top of the sight tube into the existing tank vent hose.

At hydraulic and pneumatic supply houses/shops you can get a sintered bronze filter which will allow air entry/exit as the level changes and keep out debris.

Mcmaster Carr would also be a good bet. You will find them in the pneumatic sections.

Back
Top Bottom