Otters be gone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicksilver

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Slow Flight
Vessel Make
CHB 45
Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look :eek: then moving on.

YOu might find you need to move the eagle to a different location periodially or they will figure it out. Don't wait untill they do so.

The comment about the eagle is good though.

Well I hope it's not to soon to say it worked, but so far so good. We moved in to our new home last June and much to my surprise there were already several residents making home here as well. A family of Otters visited our dock on a regular basis. Fun to watch but what they leave behind is unacceptable. We tried many home remedies like ammonia, Simple Green, moth balls and a variety of soaps. I even thought about rounding the dock with an electric fence but my luck it would shock the s*#t out of them and I'm back to square one.
I did some reading to find out the natural predators of otters. The Bald Eagle. So I put one of those Bald Eagle things on a stick with the rotating wings that spin with the slightest breeze and ............. Well, so far, so good. I watched the Otters pass by stopping several times to look :eek: then moving on.

Let us know how you make out. We have the same problem at our dock in Campbell River, with the added bonus that when I'm walking to or from the boat on a quiet night they have a nasty habit of suddenly splashing into the water. It has the potential for leaving one's own deposits on the dock...

I hate those stinky little water rats!
Have you tried the rock salt on the dock trick?
Hollywood

Greetings,
Mr. Q. Ta-dah!!!! Otterhound Information and Pictures, Otterhounds
We don't need no stinkin' eagle...
otterhound-16.jpg

Last edited:
We used to have that problem in Anacortes. The Otters seemed to like doing their business on top of the coiled mooring lines and on the top level of our boarding steps. Some one suggested using vinegar so I mixed up a strong solution with water in a spray bottle. I would spray the swim step, the full length of the dock edge, lines and steps when I left the boat. They never came back.

Now if only someone had a remedy for those high altitude bombing runs by the local gulls club.:eek:

Now if only someone had a remedy for those high altitude bombing runs by the local gulls club.:eek:

I would encourage and participate in feeding the gulls if we could get them to bomb the otters....:thumb:....especially clam dropping....:D

We used to have that problem in Anacortes. The Otters seemed to like doing their business on top of the coiled mooring lines and on the top level of our boarding steps. Some one suggested using vinegar so I mixed up a strong solution with water in a spray bottle. I would spray the swim step, the full length of the dock edge, lines and steps when I left the boat. They never came back.

Thanks. Good to know. Any idea if it works on other invasive species, like spiders?

Why don't we just get rid of all wildlife:nonono:

I am constantly amazed how people move into some animals' habitat and then expect the animal to move on:facepalm:, learn to dance:thumb:, do your laundry:dance:whatever:confused:

Move to Seattle, they got rid of the otters years ago.:D

Why don't we just get rid of all wildlife:nonono:

I am constantly amazed how people move into some animals' habitat and then expect the animal to move on:facepalm:, learn to dance:thumb:, do your laundrywhatever:confused:

Move to Seattle, they got rid of the otters years ago.:D

I don't think anybody has a issue when the Otters are in their habitat...

It is when they invade ours... a boat is not their natural habitat.

:socool:
HOLLYWOOD

Otters are like any other neighbors...I love'm till they crap on my property....:D

Hollywood and psneeld the Otters were there first ... they are crapping on THEIR property.

But I don't adhere to the philosophy of whoever was there furst gets all the rights. But on the other hand man should NOT just through the animals under the bus because they got in the way.

Ketchikan Yacht Club is right at the mouth of Ketchikan Creek. The Otters were there for thousands of years before the man god showed up and I'd say they have rights. They shouldn't be thrown out like the garbage just because man can't control his propagation habits.

Where's a good QBBL line picture when you need one.....

OK, so here's a question nature boy. Would you train you dog to poop outside or just let him poop in the house? A few days ago I stopped my truck got out and removed a stunned Robin from the middle of the road before the little guy got squished. I love animals, even Otters but God gave them millions of miles of coastline, rivers and beaches to poop on. Using our docks is no different then your dog using your living room. It's just convenient for them. I am not hurting them by directing them back to the beach any more than you would be hurting your dog to direct him to the front yard. Cover the cockpit floor of the KK with Otter poop and see if you don't agree.

Thanks. Good to know. Any idea if it works on other invasive species, like spiders?

No idea, never really had any other issues with any other creatures except those pesky Dungeness that keep crawling into my pot. I'm not complaining you understand.

........ Ketchikan Yacht Club is right at the mouth of Ketchikan Creek. The Otters were there for thousands of years before the man god showed up and I'd say they have rights..........

Sounds like the Indians vs. the white guys. ;)

HaHa Ron,
I'm not aware of any Indians in the Ketchikan YC. But they deal w Sea Otters all the time and probably have good advice. What ever you do don't let them get inside your boat!

Quicksilver,
Unless the SO move out of the area the Eagle probably won't work for long. Line up you're next move soon.

Last edited:
I just wish they would wipe their feet.

So far so good. and yes I could turn the otter cheek if I could get close enough to do that.

unfortunately they don't taste like chicken

HOLLYWOOD

So far so good. and yes I could turn the otter cheek if I could get close enough to do that.

I wouldn't want to get close. I've been 15' from otters bent on protecting their families and that was too close. But those were Alaskan otters.

Tom, Good one but not applicable.

I know this is probably more serious than you want, but Science News, reported a study a few years ago that found that the orca population of the Pacific northwest and se ak ws changing thier diet to otters because of over fishing.

If your interested,
http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/pae/es_map/articles/article_28.mhtml

Based on the "it is their habitat argument" humans should be living in outer space. Think about it, I go into the ocean and its "their" habitat; I go into the woods its "their habitat"; I go into the African plains and its "their "habitat. Where is out habitat?

Based on the "it is their habitat argument" humans should be living in outer space. Think about it, I go into the ocean and its "their" habitat; I go into the woods its "their habitat"; I go into the African plains and its "their "habitat. Where is our habitat?

Good point - where is it..?

Back
Top Bottom