Old 04-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #39
hfoster
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
Hey that was a joke. I'm not a big fan of cutesy smileys but perhaps I should have used one.

Actually there's a story that is funny to me... I was in the Virgin Islands and I was discussing with the locals how the local ferry captains could be quite aggressive, and it is common knowledge to give a wide berth even if you have the "right of way" (OK stand on vessel).

He replies, "Da bigger da boat, da righta da way mon!"

I thought that funny because I grew up boating around barges in the ICW and we learned at an early age to stay out of their way because they cannot stop even if they are far away, and they cannot always see you either. We called it "the axiom of gross tonnage."

Just sayin' the first rule is to avoid a collision in the first place, that's all.

I agree with you, It is common sense rule in my book. As I stated before, I always give the Big Boys a wide Berth. They are working am I am out playing. But in those times when I come across a Ore boat, I also radio the Master and tell him what my plans are. He may have me do something else which he feels is safer for both of our vessels.

Many of times come into the Cuyahoga River (going to Shooter) Ore boats will be heading out. It can get really tight at times. I always call them and tell them my plans.

Pic of coming into the River. To the right side is where Ore boats will come out by the white stacks.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
Attached Thumbnails
Pantec 468 (1).jpg  
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote