Winter Project Replace entire caprail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude awesome!

Thanks guys .the corners beat me up . It probably would have looked better to miter the corners but I couldn't figure it out . Still a long ways to go . Thanks for the motivation . Bow roller /windlass platform next . Working on wheel house doors now . The teak pile of lumber is getting smaller .

Pile of teak parts finished sanded ready for install and varnish.Bulkhead , pilot house door frames and panels and aft swim door .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 95
Second coat Epifanes thinned 25% .First coat was thinned 50 % . My wife is doing the varnish work . Weather conditions have been spotty to do varnish work . Today was good tomorrow won't be good .I think she has it figured out ,don't rush it and wait for good weather .I need to get her a real brush ,I think she's ready .Tried two more pics but they wouldn't go through .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 90
Another pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 92
And another .I'm pretty proud of her finish work If you can't tell by now .the center of this partition is epoxy coated and will get primed and painted .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 97
At least your getting on with some beautiful finish work. So much of my own is filthy dirty, dusty, scrungy, fundamental stuff that I don't get to see something fine looking and polished forever. Anyway, great work. Winter is almost over, you know.

Keep up the awesome work and pictures! Looks awesome:). I am psyched to see that cap rail varnished in place!

Repaired area where old bulkhead was removed primed and ready for paint . Plan on painting the whole deck but ain't got the time now .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 99
Now it's time to put the rail on for good ! RT You timed Carley Simon's "Anticipation "just right . We don't know what tomorrow might bring ! I had a little set back but I'll be slipping in to overdrive real soon .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 88
Finally getting going with rail . We have the first two sections on both port and starboard caulked and screwed down .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 105
Another section down on each side . Being that the rail is laminated teak strips I may need to park it in the sun a few days to get the different shades of teak to blend before varnishing . I want to try to avoid that butcher block look:ermm:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 93
Don't stress it mate. Colours look mint! Will look better when epoxied and clear coated.

Sent from iPad using Trawler App

Great work on both the cap rail and the other pieces, top quality wood working there!

Hope you have better luck than I did with those joints. Mine were cracked after painting....maybe within a month. I'm about to clean them out and try something else. Looks great!

Larry are you talking about end grain joints or where I laminated the strips together to make the rail width . On the end joints I'm using TDS SIS 440 and on the laminations I used West Systems . I hope it doesn't fall apart either . I'm not sure that the Epifanes is going to do well over the top of the TDS but I shouldn't have to much flex going on. TDS doesn't recommend varnishing over the top of it they say the flex of the joint breaks the bond of the varnish and in time the varnish separates at the joint . But I think they are mainly talking sailboat rails with all the stress from rigging . I was going to not caulk the joints until after varnish but got to that point and said screw it and went on with the caulk .

All the rail is caulked and screwed down . We will spend today cleaning up joints and sanding .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 98
Rail down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 92
Thanks guys . Al I wish I was in California hanging out with you and the coot !

Al we only drink the California wines .

Love the line of your rail in post #83. Good work Pac Mule.

Thanks Eric . When I bought the teak I bought all 5" wide to save on cost . I was thinking that William did not have that much curve but I would have wound up with a lot of short pcs and a bunch of joints . I decided to rip the lumber off the edge and epoxy back together with a jig to the curve . The only waste was the saw kerf from ripping . Some of the lengths are 9 ft long .

Now I gotta rail wide enough for my ol big ass and a beer .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom