Diesel Fuel Additive for Extreme Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK Ski - You must be smarter than me regarding what happens having long term use experience with Soltron... Or Not!

Me, being a person who has six years of successful firsthand experience with what a product can do, Soltron in this case, as compared to you who has "0" experience with same product... far be it up to me to ever question your learned knowledge about the product!

Please teach me/us more about everything you know for sure about Soltron inability to work... after your zero (“0”) experience, that is... compared to my six (6) years of experience with it working well! :popcorn:

I'm always anxious to learn from others about a product who have no track record of using the product! :facepalm:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Art- If I read your post right, you had water in the gasoline noticed in three filter changes. Then you added the additive and subsequent filter changes you noticed no water.

So could it be that the filters actually caught the water, and no water remained available in the tanks to be grabbed by the pickups?

I'm not sure the lack of water in the filters can be attributed to the additive. Changing and draining filters is a known proven method to eliminating water.

Also, if you are using gasoline with ethanol from the pump, that is an emulsifier and will tend to suspend water.

Nothing you posted proves the additive solved your problem. Just changing filters and using the fuel will give you the results you described.

Also, to minimize confusion, chemistry for gasoline and diesel fuel are different and an additive for one may not be appropriate for the other. I think an emulsifier is more appropriate for gasoline than diesel.

Most readers here run diesel, and an emulsifier is not a good idea.

I agree that lubricity is a concern and alcohol or gasoline certainly wont help it any. However, on a short term or occasionall application it will help more than harm. I burn mostly used engine oil so lubricity is not a concern. Getting your engine "slugged" by a big dose of H2O will cause way more problems than a slight decrease in the lube quality of your fuel. The biggest problem with gasoline is that it has detonation inhibitors that will slow the combustion process if used in higher percentages, like over 5%. And no, 1 gallon of gasoline in 100 gallons of diesel will not change the volatility of the diesel enough to measure. Certainly not to the point of being dangerous. But if you have concerns about it dont do it, buy snake oil. Or, you could add a gallon of E85 gas ,and, a gallon of cheap hydraulic oil. Surely someone has first hand knowledge of that.

Art- If I read your post right, you had water in the gasoline noticed in three filter changes. Then you added the additive and subsequent filter changes you noticed no water.

So could it be that the filters actually caught the water, and no water remained available in the tanks to be grabbed by the pickups?

I'm not sure the lack of water in the filters can be attributed to the additive. Changing and draining filters is a known proven method to eliminating water.

Also, if you are using gasoline with ethanol from the pump, that is an emulsifier and will tend to suspend water.

Nothing you posted proves the additive solved your problem. Just changing filters and using the fuel will give you the results you described.

Also, to minimize confusion, chemistry for gasoline and diesel fuel are different and an additive for one may not be appropriate for the other. I think an emulsifier is more appropriate for gasoline than diesel.

Most readers here run diesel, and an emulsifier is not a good idea.

Only from persons who have considerable long term experience from using a product will I listen closely. Otherwise... Not!

My six years of use and consistant ongoing successful experience with Soltron speaks for itself... at least in gasoline that is. I've only heard from a couple diesel owners of their success regarding Soltron; they seemd quite pleased.

You can use it... or don't NC - Makes no diff to me! I'll stay quite pleased with my using Soltron.

My six years of use and consistant ongoing successful experience with Soltron speaks for itself... at least in gasoline that is. I've only heard from a couple diesel owners of their success regarding Soltron; they seemd quite pleased.

According Soltron directions, one 16oz bottle can treat up to 500 gallons of diesel fuel.

According to the Soltron MSDS sheet, 99.5% is made up of aliphatic petroleum distillates, CAS# 64742-47-8.

Common synonyms for CAS# 64742-47-8 are mineral spirits and stoddard solvent.

The other 0.5% is made up of "proprietary organic compounds".

In adding one 16oz bottle of Soltron to 500 gallons of diesel fuel, one is adding 8/100(0.08) of an ounce of Soltron "proprietary organic compounds"; the remainder being mineral spirits.

One can buy a gallon of mineral spirits for $10, or a gallon of Soltron for $175.

Converting ounces to mls and mls to drops, there is approximately forty-six drops of Soltron's "proprietary organic compounds" in one 16oz bottle.

Subtracting 10 from 175 we arrive at $165. Therefore, Soltron is charging approximately $.45 per drop of their "proprietary organic compound".

Edited for math.

Last edited:
>Once again, snake oil.

Soltron enzymes when added to fuel<

BET you didnt like Slick 50 either!!

I am sold on Stanadine , as a problem solver.

It will clean injectors , so trouble shooting is easier.

If it doesnt run better in 30 min , its time to get the injectors to the doctor.

For fuel with water

>Best thing is to do a low point drain on your tanks. Solves all the problems<.

Ski got it right.

One of the first things a diesel mechanic learns is that when changing fuel filters on a diesel engine, fill the new filter with hydraulic oil or trans fluid. Any light oil will work. It lubes the pump and cleans injectors. An old way of cleaning injectors was to run the engine on a 5 gallon gas can, with the return going back to the can also. Run a mix of 3 gallons of light oil and 1 gallon of naptha or acetone until gone. A lot of mechs do the same but use SeaFoam instead of acetone or naptha. As with most things, unless you've been "in the business" there's probably a hell of a lot you dont know. I was a heavy engine Mech for 30 years in the oil production industry. I can fix them and keep them running. I did not work in sales, therefor I could not sell you an engine to save my life. But I "think" I could.

Maybe that's the way they do it where you come from but not where I'm from or anywhere along the Atlantic Seaboard that I've had engine work done to yachts.

Guess it show us why you can do almost anything to some diesels or gas engines and you almost can't kill them...especially once or twice a year....but I'll bet many additives and "home remedies" would be frowned upon by manufacturers.

Not that I'm a big "always by the book guy" as there are better ideas out there and a few are eventually adopted industry wide...but MOST aren't.

Maybe that's the way they do it where you come from but not where I'm from or anywhere along the Atlantic Seaboard that I've had engine work done to yachts.

Guess it show us why you can do almost anything to some diesels or gas engines and you almost can't kill them...especially once or twice a year....but I'll bet many additives and "home remedies" would be frowned upon by manufacturers.

Not that I'm a big "always by the book guy" as there are better ideas out there and a few are eventually adopted industry wide...but MOST aren't.

Totally agree!

And just how many years of ACTUALL hands on everyday, greasy to you neck, gotta make it work now and keep working all week experience do you have ? Like I said, I did not work in sales but I "think" I can sell you something. Even though I know very little about sales compared to a guy that did it for 30 years.

Quality, efficiency, or usefulness of Soltron fuel cleaner/stabilizer that I use constantly; successfully getting long lasting, clean, stabilized gasoline results in both my 37 yr old 100 gallon aluminum tanks, has been negatively dissected by some / picked-apart by others / virtually demolished by a few! I've been hoping that another successful Soltron user (for gasoline or diesel) might come on board this thread and back me up - even just a little - LOL! :ermm:

Soooo, it seems there are not many (if any) Soltron users on TF who want to step up to the plate (with me)... cause... if there were there would be more than me as a long term user who would state opinion on Soltron - be it good, bad, or neutral. To date on this thread, the only people that have chimed in on Soltron have provided relatively negative to extremely negative comments. Even Though None of Them Have ANY VERIFIABLE EXPERIENCE USING SOLTRON! In my book the best proof is: Proof In The Putting... by using a product for long duration and experiencing that product’s results... not in conjectures backed up by Non-Users’ gobbletie gook theories as to how/why a product may or may not perform! :facepalm:

In addition to Soltron, but for other fuel system reasons, there are two more products on my often use list. Matter O’ Fact: Soltron, B-12 Chemtool Carb Cleaner, and SeaFoam are the only three additives I use in my fuel system. Keeps my tanks clean, fuel fresh, engines running well – and – That’s Makes Me and My Admiral Very Happy! :D:D

Berryman: B-12 Chemtool Carb Cleaner :thumb:

http://www.ruralking.com/b-12-chemtool-carb-cleaner-15-oz.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&CAWELAID=1855343628&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=1708823525&cadevice=c&gclid=CJWqmPHSzr0CFa9cMgodeBgAYw

SeaFoam :thumb:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/sea-foam-motor-treatment-for-gas-and-diesel-engines-16-fl.-oz.-sf16/6410004-P

Happy Boat Fuel Daze! – Art :speed boat:

PS - Often in TF and other forums I read about many boat owners gunked up fuel tanks, water in fuel problems, clogged injectors, or varnish laden carb interiors - Please notice that you do not hear any of that from me. My three additives do a really good job... I don't have those problems that others continually face with fuel, tanks, fuel delivery lines. Say what you will, but I know from years experience that my additive method works! Can you claim the same? Just wondering! :rofl: :popcorn: :whistling:

Last edited:
Art...I'd really like to think that snake oil works...would make life easier....

But by your description of the tanks...and what you did...and the way you maintain stuff and probably don't fuel in a thunderstorm and watch all procedures carefully...

I really think your fuel/engine would be just the same after the work you did and how you maintain your boat without using Startron....maybe it helped cleaning up the mess a little...but after that I think its just an illusion.

PS - Often in TF and other forums I read about many boat owners gunked up fuel tanks, water in fuel problems, clogged injectors, or varnish laden carb interiors - Please notice that you do not hear any of that from me. My three additives do a really good job... I don't have those problems that others continually face with fuel, tanks, fuel delivery lines. Say what you will, but I know from years experience that my additive method works! Can you claim the same? Just wondering! :rofl: :popcorn: :whistling:

I've had the same success as you in not having any fuel issues in my years of boating (not including dinghy outboards of course:banghead:). But instead of using an additive, I use a short prayer (to the gods of the sea) every time I fuel-up. So, like you, I'm going to continue my ritual as it has been successful. I'm just glad mine doesn't cost $0.45 per drop.;)

Religion it is

I've had the same success as you in not having any fuel issues in my years of boating (not including dinghy outboards of course:banghead:). But instead of using an additive, I use a short prayer (to the gods of the sea) every time I fuel-up. So, like you, I'm going to continue my ritual as it has been successful. I'm just glad mine doesn't cost $0.45 per drop.;)
Fuel tank religion, I'm a fuel tank Atheist, use or lose it is what I say.

I figure it costs me $50 +/- bucks annually in fuel additives to keep my stored fuel and tanks and fuel-flow system in really good, clean, useable condition. That's approx cost of 9 gallons fuel. To me, it's insurance against repair needs at 1/100 the price! :thumb:

Hope your prayers to sea gods keep working!

PS, 16 oz Soltron bottle costs $23 +/- and treats up to 500 gallons. Larger containers cost less per oz. Do the math! :popcorn:

Art...I'd really like to think that snake oil works...would make life easier....

But by your description of the tanks...and what you did...and the way you maintain stuff and probably don't fuel in a thunderstorm and watch all procedures carefully...

I really think your fuel/engine would be just the same after the work you did and how you maintain your boat without using Startron....maybe it helped cleaning up the mess a little...but after that I think its just an illusion.

Compliments will get you everywhere! :smitten: :D

PS: Coming fron the 1960's during my teens - I kinda like illusions! LOL :rofl:

I used to use Soltron on my previous boat which had twin John Deere 4045 engines. These engines where NOT computer controlled. What I noticed was a noticeable decrease in smoke from the exhaust and black smudge on the transom. That was reason enough for me to use Soltron at every fuel fill.

My current boat has a common rail Cummins QSB 5.9 and exhaust smoke is not an issue but I do go to a local ValvTect fuel dock where the ValvTect additive is added by the fuel distributer.

So if you do have a smoky engine it might help to give Soltron a try.

The first thing you will notice after adding about 2% gasoline is a reduction in black smoke and soot on the transom. Go figure. I could spend $100 to $200 per gallon for additives to do this or $4 per gallon for gasoline. Probably the same reason some folks buy Escalades instead of Tahoes.

The first thing you will notice after adding about 2% gasoline is a reduction in black smoke and soot on the transom. Go figure. I could spend $100 to $200 per gallon for additives to do this or $4 per gallon for gasoline. Probably the same reason some folks buy Escalades instead of Tahoes.

I never heard of anything like that. Is this common? Sure cheaper than Soltron if it does reduce smoke.

Anecdotes are not evidence. If snake oil salesmen (or even their advertisers on here) can produce empirical evidence that their product works better than any other system I will eat crow. However, based on my 35 years in trade at sea and ashore, my relationship with fuel and lube suppliers and engineers and my qualifications I will continue to call BS on additives that are not targetted for specific problems like the bug or emulsifiers. Your problems might have been initially solved by using an emulsifier rather than proper maintenance, but given your attention to fuel system maintenance, you are throwing away money by continued use. Think of is as the difference between using elbow grease to clean a greasy pan or leaving it to soak in carbon remover for 2 days then continuing to use carbon remover for every dishwash.

I've had the same success as you in not having any fuel issues in my years of boating (not including dinghy outboards of course . But instead of using an additive, I use a short prayer (to the gods of the sea) every time I fuel-up. So, like you, I'm going to continue my ritual as it has been successful. I'm just glad mine doesn't cost $0.45 per drop.;)
Yup. . . . I agree!!:thumb: There is always someone out there trying to sell you a snake oil product. . . that they say. . . "the government" or the "oil industry doesn't want you to know about."

Before you flush your money looking for a "Value Added Miracle Additive.. . Ask yourself this. . . If there was an additive that would make an oil companies product better than their competitions. . . . don't you think the oil company would want to buy it, put it in their oil and market the hell out of it??? :facepalm:

If it's not for killing bugs, don't put it in!! Nothing but #2 diesel in my tanks and the tanks and engines are 38 years old and going strong!!

The other additive to use is to prevent fuel gelling in cold weather.

Later,
Dan

IMO - No Matter what the product may be:

If you haven't used it at all, or used it sporadically, and/or for not much time at all... then anything you say about a product is simply vacant BS – cause you don’t have conclusive firsthand experience with the product!

I only say what I've experienced using Soltron, nothing more, nothing less! I've tracked six continual years successfully using Soltron in my boat's gasoline. Its cost is penny on the dollar regarding fuel costs to maintain fuel stability and ongoing fuel cleanliness with no hint of ethanol/dino-fuel separation... not to mention avoiding expensive repair costs.

Greetings,
Mr. Art. "...vacant BS – cause you don’t have conclusive firsthand experience with the product!" I haven't tried tried heroin myself but thousands swear, from first hand experience, it's the answer to every problem.
Mr. E is correct. If there was a miracle additive at least one company would add it and scoop the competition. That goes for gasoline, kerosene, and kickapoo joy juice...well, maybe not so much the last.

Last edited:
I have added pure atmosphere to my fuel tanks for over 50 years of boating....it's not easy mind you...the tanks require a super sophisticated piece of equipment called a V.E.N.T.....I would explain what it is but...it's proprietary 0.02% of the time.

By allowing a tiny bit of atmosphere with it's impurities in it....I have noticed all my boat engines...both gas and diesel, both private and the commercial ones I run.....have clean fuel tanks, run great, smoke little or none and never leave me stranded due to fuel issues.

If you don't have problems with your fuel or engines...maybe you inadvertently let some atmosphere with impurities into your fuel tanks and have received the totally amazing benefits that I have experienced....

Please be careful who you pass this info on to...the oil companies have PI sitting in cars watching me continuously.

My current boat has a common rail Cummins QSB 5.9 and exhaust smoke is not an issue but I do go to a local ValvTect fuel dock where the ValvTect additive is added by the fuel distributer.

So if you do have a smoky engine it might help to give Soltron a try.

I'll attest to this. It's a lot of fun watching Windmist buy a load of diesel! You should have seen the fuel guy have to pry that credit card out of his hand!!

I see this as just another case of "internet experts" pushing their favorite family home remedies upon an unsuspecting crowd.

I hope that anyone seriously considering adding gasoline or ethanol to their diesel tanks will consider the REAL effects on hardware and safety. Your lives and your family's lives are at stake. This is a boat, not some 30 year old pickup truck. PLEASE, seek the advice of someone with credentials and experience to know the difference. And a call to your insurance company might also be in order.

If your injectors need cleaning, there are proven products for that. Need to kill some bio-bugs? There's a good product for that. Got water in your tanks? There's a way to remove that and prevent it from happening again. Nowhere on gasoline or ethanol do you see instructions for use for these issues. If you do this, you're setting yourself up for failure and financial loss. Sure...maybe you'll get away with it for some time, but the piper will need to be paid sometime. If it ain't labeled as a diesel fuel additive, it has no business in the tank.

Your insurance company might have a thing or two to say to those who have added unauthorized additives to their fuel and suffered a loss. Good luck on collecting in the event of a fire.

To those of you pushing your favorite elixir, show us the empirical data that proves, without a doubt, the veracity of your heretofore unsupported claims. And don't forget to include the SMS data.

Art, wow, after a major bucketing (Oz expression for having a bucket of excrement chucked over you), you list 2 more additives you use. Like it!
Why the "ASN brigade" get so irate is a mystery. It`s worth writing about additives to watch the effect.
Meanwhile keep using what works for you, I know you will.
Like Flywright, I`d be very hesitant about adding gasoline or ethanol to tanks.

Art, wow, after a major bucketing (Oz expression for having a bucket of excrement chucked over you), you list 2 more additives you use. Like it!
Why the "ASN brigade" get so irate is a mystery. It`s worth writing about additives to watch the effect.
Meanwhile keep using what works for you, I know you will.
Like Flywright, I`d be very hesitant about adding gasoline or ethanol to tanks.

Hey Bruce! How B Ya? Well I trust..

The "ASN brigade" must have experienced misspent time in their youths (lol) to think that some of the harsh chemicals as well as other new "greener" solution products do not have effects and affects on fuel compounds and their storage/transit mechanisms.

I too would be hesitant to add ethanol to diesel... for many reasons. That said... similar to me having had six years of completely successful results using Soltron fuel stabilizer as well as decades of success using B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner and Seafoam fuel line cleaner (therefore having firsthand experiences) I can not fully discredit the results others have stated regarding small amounts of ethanol in diesel... seems to work for them and they have the experience, I don’t – so who am I to chastise; obviously you and I are not part of the “brigade” :whistling:

Thanks for your post! – Art

PS: Can you expand upon the acronym ASN – I searched and found many meanings. Aussie thang you refer to here – tain’t it???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom