Paravanes on Dauntless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I'll post pictures as we go along and then give a whole summary after all is said and done.

This was medium sized fish from Englund Marine in Astoria, Oregon.

ForumRunner_20140402_094010.jpg

ForumRunner_20140402_093858.jpg

$125 each. Plywood wing.

ForumRunner_20140402_093840.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished project, Rich. What size material have you been using for the structure? Are you doing an A-Frame design like in the PNW?

Richard,
Had a look at the Englund Marine web site but they don't appear to list their products.
How do you order those fish, they look good and being pretty light would be easy to handle.
Wouldn't mind fabricating a pair myself.
What do they use, marine ply or something like Starboard?

Cheers
Benn

It's 21:45 and I just finished getting the upper deck put away.

What with the two kayaks and the bike!!

Call up Englung and all fit the stabilizer fish from Stano Ent. They know them.

Everyone who has seen them, can't believe they only cost $125 , each.

Heavy lead ball on front.

ForumRunner_20140404_215752.jpg

ForumRunner_20140404_215836.jpg

I'll let you know tomorrow!!

Since Dauntless has been behind my store I've been able to watch the installation. It looks neat and simple. I'm going to miss having Richard back there. Not only has he been a good customer but he fed my crew barbeque! Richard let me ride his new electric bike. Very impressive. He'll be welcome back at my dock anytime.

Great day.

Best $10k I ever spent.

First time my deck was dry, until I retrieved them.

Then, Roll went from +-3 to 5 degrees, to +-15, + and that's with only 2ft seas on the beam.

Lost 0.5 kts, just as Larry has said.

Took less then ten minutes to retrieve, and that was the first time and in the dark.

Anchored at 21:30. That's why I needed those lights!

Good night.

Great day. Best $10k I ever spent. First time my deck was dry, until I retrieved them. Then, Roll went from +-3 to 5 degrees, to +-15, + and that's with only 2ft seas on the beam. Lost 0.5 kts, just as Larry has said. Took less then ten minutes to retrieve, and that was the first time and in the dark. Anchored at 21:30. That's why I needed those lights! Good night.

Richard here are some pics of you leaving.

image-2281437264.jpg

image-604297270.jpg

image-3573650136.jpg

Via iPad using Trawler

Attachments

• image-2544447169.jpg
    image-2544447169.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 196
Richard, where did you end up tonight?

Looks great! Sounds effective! Good choice!

An Experimenter

Ever wonder why I get into so much trouble or have so many shenanigans?
By heart, I’m a scientist. At a relatively young age, I decided to be a meteorologist. Even at the University of Washington, when I had the opportunity to meet a lot of kids like me studying to be engineers of some type, I still eschewed engineering, believing meteorology was more “scientific”.

What a dope.:eek:

Only some years later, working on a forecast through the night, I realized that in practice, a synoptic meteorologist, is a weather engineer. As we take the science and put it to a practical use.

Oh, for the hubris of youth. Sometimes I do miss the certainty that comes with inexperience and knowing everything. In a world for me that was once black and white, there are only shades of gray. Even that, though a better place, and heaven knows the world could use for less absolute people, does have some drawbacks, which I may expound upon at another time.

So on this sunny Sunday morning, 6 April 2014, leaving the environs of Port Palm Beach, fate had me do an experiment, that admittedly, I had decided beforehand not to do, (much like going out on deck, at night alone. I vowed never to do that and my first night at sea, single handing, that got thrown out the window. Remember, no absolutes!)

Anyway, back to the story. As I pulled my new Delta 55# anchor, which worked like a dream, made even better because Hopkins Carter has the most competitive prices. Less expensive than even Jamestown, with no stink'in shipping.:thumb::thumb:and they ship all over the world:D

I decided to deploy the poles, but leave the fish on the rail. That way, I would not have to go to the fly bridge to deploy them while underway and I needed to adjust the port side aft and fore guys, as that pole was running about 6 inches too far aft for my liking.

That done, power on, look around to make sure nothing is in front of me and I see that one of the fish already fell into the water, but the other is obediently waiting as directed.

So the experimenter in me takes over. :whistling: To retrieve the fish, I would have to go up to the fly bridge and retrieve the pole to vertical, go down and pull in the fish. Forget that. I decided to see what would happen with one fish in the water.

Power on, Dauntless, like a Top Fuel Dragster, gets to 5 knots in about 20 seconds. :socool: As I am moving north, turning towards the east to go out of the inlet (see picture), I stay on the south side of the inlet, as there are bunches of sport fishers, dive boats, skiffs and all sorts of south Florida water life, including a few jet skiers, coming from Palm Beach to the north also turning into the inlet to exit into the ocean.

After carefully measuring the additional rudder, 5°, I need to keep the boat straight with only one fish in the water, I look to my left and see this multitude of boaters racing out of the inlet at Warp 10.:eek:

F.. this, I throw the other fish in the water, and should a jet skier run into it and get decapitated, let heaven sort out who was right and who was wrong.:whistling:

Going back to the helm, I confirm the 5° deflection is gone and I see the humongous wake rolling up on me, maybe 5 feet high. I watch in fascination as it hits the port side of Dauntless and disappears, just like that, they were gone, like Keyser Soze.

We rolled a few degrees. unlike yesterday, before I deployed them, a wake rolled me 25 degrees, to each side, that's 50°:eek:

My side decks are dry while underway. Another first. Even with that wake, it took just a cup full of water thru the port scupper. Normally my side decks, well not mine, Dauntless’ are continually bathed in sea water.

I have a longer observation on my blog, Dauntless at Sea | Voyages of a Kadey Krogen 42but for those of you who just want the bottom line, here it is.

The Numbers

Here are the numbers so far and as I compile more data, my experience has been that these numbers after only two days will always be in the ball park and pretty representative. If not, I'll let you know.;)

A small (2 foot) beam sea produces an average roll of 10 to 15 degrees in each direction, with some rolls 15 to 20° (40° total) and 1/8 of the rolls greater than 40°.:eek:

Fish (aka paravanes) in the water, this gets reduced to a few degrees each direction, with the bad ones to about 10° !:popcorn:

Overall roll is reduced by at least 75%. :D

The fact that I was hit with a 4 to 5 ft. wake this morning, and we didn't roll at all, says it all.

My life is transformed.

I’ll write about The Rig and Rigger next

I'm limited at the pictures I can post, as I don't want to upload three times, at least until i get home or to WiFi. So pictures can be found at
Richard Bost

Richard,
Why go to the fly bridge to raise your outrigger poles.
Bring the line across the top deck and down the outside to your side deck and operate it from there.
This is what I have done on Tidahapah.
I raise the fish to approximately the position where it will swing into the gunnel. Then raise the outrigger pole. The fish swings in and I secure it either to the gunnel, at the moment in the same way you do, (later I will make a bracket on the pole for the fish to sit in)
Once the fish is secure complete raising the outrigger pole and house it.
My fwd stay just gets lashed to the hand rail and the aft stay is a solid s/s tube hinged the same as the pole.

I hope this is clear enough.

Cheers
Benn

I would never go back to not having Paravanes. I consider them just as important as a autopilot and depth finder. I very happy to see yours worked out.

Super data, Rich. I know the 42's like to roll and it's great that you're seeing the money and effort pay off with increased comfort underway.

Richard, I enjoyed your pictures of the Miami River on Smug Mug. I sometimes forget how interesting that little river can be.

The tug boats with green trim are owned by the Hempstead family. They've been herding big ships with those little tugs for more than fifty years on the Miami river.

They were moving the Betty K in some of your photos. The Betty K line has been hauling freight between Miami and the Bahamas for more than fifty years as well.

The RV Coral Reef is the catch boat for the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

I was very surprised to see a picture of my cat! Her name is Po which is short for Poland's Boat Yard where I found her.

Richard, I enjoyed your pictures of the Miami River on Smug Mug. I sometimes forget how interesting that little river can be.

The tug boats with green trim are owned by the Hempstead family. They've been herding big ships with those little tugs for more than fifty years on the Miami river.

They were moving the Betty K in some of your photos. The Betty K line has been hauling freight between Miami and the Bahamas for more than fifty years as well.

The RV Coral Reef is the catch boat for the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

I was very surprised to see a picture of my cat! Her name is Po which is short for Poland's Boat Yard where I found her.

I find it fascinating to observe the Miami River from near the Brickel Ave. bridge. The ships negotiating the narrow channel with a tug in front and one behind on a line running from side to side to swing the stern. It really does take coordination. Then throw into the mix the DEA boats running in and out, and it gets pretty interesting.

Yes, it is fascinating. Some of those ships that are hauled up and down the river are as close to "tramp steamers" as anywhere I've been.

Yes, it is fascinating. Some of those ships that are hauled up and down the river are as close to "tramp steamers" as anywhere I've been.

I know. I've never seen anything comparable to how they wrangled those ships. Also, those ships are truly rust buckets.

Parks,
I was just checking to see if you were paying attention. I really liked your cat. But then I liked everyone I encountered in your store. I also had acat named Po, sort of same personality too.:ermm:

I am still in the process of writing about the whole paravane process.

Right now, I ahve one issue with teh forward guy, since I don't have a rigid guy, I need to make sure the forward guy keeps some pressure on the pole as the pole goes to vertical.

Guy and Stay stresses seem as anticipated.
They did come up with a simple, elegant system, that i can modify easily.
I'm looking forward to testing it in heavier seas.

The pictuer in the next post, is of the pole and the two guy wires, line to the fish and what we call the "up down" line. The fish line is almost 45° which is good as it indicated the forces are almost equal between the forward guy and the up down line.

I bring the poles in on the fly bridge, no problem, then go down and pull in fish by hand, also not a problem.

Next week may have the opportunity. But I promise not to bring my one year old baby:nonono:. There is only one baby on board, and that's me.:lol:

ForumRunner_20140410_213228.jpg

ForumRunner_20140410_213329.jpg

Richard, are you in Stuart now?

Yes.
Listening to the new danfoss compressors, as they make a diet of mouse noise (compared to the sub zeroes,)

Which are now for sale, as is my satellite system.

Should be leaving Wednesday.

They look good Richard. The thing with the KK42...it roles like a tortoise on its back.

Here's mine deployed....

image-1325697170.jpg

Jim, Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom