New Fee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capecodder

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Her Shine. Newburyport
On March 4, 2013, the Coast Guard plans to publish a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking proposing to implement a $26 Renewal Fee for the annual renewal of trade endorsements on U.S. vessel Certificates of Documentation. Up until now the Coast Guard has not charged for renewals, treating the cost of those services as part of its general overhead. However, since the Coast Guard last promulgated user fees for vessel documentation services on November 15, 1993, its costs have, of course, gone up significantly. The Coast Guard expects the proposed Renewal Fee would generate $6.1 million annually, enough to offset the estimated costs of renewal services. Notably, the fee would still be less than the average fees charged by states for vessel registration renewals. While the Coast Guard does not plan on holding any public hearings on the proposed rule, it is open to public comment, with comments due by May 3, 2013.

Not in Alabama, our document vessel still must pay for a state registration fee that's $75 a year plus an MSD inspection Fee of $50.
Bill

did you mean 2014?

or is this old?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? Every other government agency has its hands in our pockets.

State registration in SC is $30 for three years. Documented boats are not also subject to state registration but dinghys and such are.

They are doing this at a loss now. It costs them a stamp to send me a letter and a stamp to send my certificate back. It costs me one stamp.

Last edited:
I've often wondered why they renew the paperwork every year. seems like they could extend that time frame and cut back on the administrative overhead.

It is old 2013 I do not know the outcome

Why not? Every other government agency has its hands in our pockets.

State registration in SC is $30 for three years. Documented boats are not also subject to state registration but dinghys and such are.

They are doing this at a loss now. It costs them a stamp to send me a letter and a stamp to send my certificate back. It costs me one stamp.

I renewed online for free.

Last week (April 2014), the Coast Guard sent me a notice to renew and after signing that I had no changes to make, they included a fax number to send it to them in WV.....now I just hope their fax machine had paper in it! :)

There was nothing to indicate any charge, although I had heard something about a year ago that they were "thinking" about charging a fee. Currently we pay $115.00 every 2yrs in Texas for a registration sticker, and $15.00 for a Clean Water (Sanitation device) sticker every 2 years so I hope the Coast Guard doesn't join in the fray.

USCG is free and in FL if a boat is over 30,

the sticker to use the States waters is under $10.

Come on down , bring your old boat with ya!

any one know the tn. law on state registration on boat registered with coast guard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom