Cockpit deck problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Sue 11

Vessel Name
Lady Sue 11
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Hello everyone. My 34 foot Mainship was re-coated in 2008 and what a beautiful job it was. The problem is in the cockpit, it almost immediately started to come off and was redone in this area two more times before the installer gave up. I have now removed the awlgrip coating in this area and I'm wondering what to do next. I don't want to repeat the process just to have it happen again.

Any ideas out there as to what caused this and how I could over come it.

I should mention that this work was done professionally and since 2008 there has not been a problem with any other part of the boat. The entire boat was done.

Larry

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Any RTV silicone sealant back there? Another thing is if there was deck work done with West System epoxy, it's possible the amine/ketone? (can never remember which it is) blush wasn't removed well enough before paint application.

RTF has got to be on the right track. There is some kind of surface contamination.

Your painter would know this and would have tried to clean the surface.

At this point, after three failures, I would be thinking of recovering the deck with teak or one of the new synthetic deck materials.

Thanks guys, I think your right there must be some kind of contamination on the deck.

I was thinking of covering the deck with some kind of sheet goods like the imitation teak or maybe paint it with marine enamel.

Wonder if it was primed in that area before painted ?

Thanks Pack Mule. This work was done in 2008 I have owned the boat for all of two months now. The previous owner gave me a couple of CD's showing all the work that was done including an interior refit in 2005. The entire rest of the boat after six years looks as if it was painted yesterday. I have made up my mind that I will not be taking a chance on another coating.

If the core is saturated, paint/covering material will not easily adhere - the can will say "paint" over thoroughly dry areas only. Lord knows Maple Bay is a wet area.

Thanks guys I will certainly wait for dry conditions before I try anything. I doubt if the core is wet as I had a survey done and the area appeared sound.

Thanks Doug I will look into the Seadek product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom