View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #1
healhustler
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
How much can we mod our boats?

Tad's thread about mods to the Willard Vega and an earlier thread on Pilgrim Trawlers bring up an interesting conflict in opinion. Some of us are purists and are faithful to the original design of our boats. Others are already making modifications of all kinds to facilitate our usage, or even just our preference.

Regarding the respect to original full displacement designs, especially Willards, Krogens, Pilgrims, and various LRC's that are really getting old in the tooth, a lot of these boats need serious work on them and while we're spending the bucks, they accept modifications pretty well. With all the new ideas and materials, most boats could be made better or more facilitating without disrespect to the intention of the design. It was only 4 years ago that I took a lot of flack for removing the traditional waist stripe from my Krogen Manatee. Now, I get regular e-mails from other Manatee owners who want to know what mod I'm doing next.

Given that we're probably not going to make planing boats out of FD's, what do we owe to the designer? What do we owe to the design. Are these good old hulls headed the way of the retro-rod, that is, can we modernize them and make changes while not sacrificing the appeal or resale, and maybe even enhance it's value?

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote