Transom door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know the dimensions of the Californian factory optional transom door but I am sure interested in any reply from someone who has one. One of the projects I have identified to do to mine is cut a door. I have the sawzall ready but I don't think is this is the year because I just want the boat to float again after a really long tough winter. Maybe next year. I don't think the size is much a concern. I planned to cut the door to match the opening gate in the aft teak rail. I would guess that the sill of the door is about 6 inches or so above the cockpit floor. I have been watching for pictures of the factory option 34 LRC door. I have seen a few but have not yet seen enough to saw with confidence. I would be really interested in comments and pictures from those who have one.

How about cutting the transom WIDE in a way that it could be lowered , to use as a swim step, and wide enough that the dink can be dragged on board.

Think pick up truck tail gate.

A couple of extra lines and the dink is a get home engine.

Attachments

• image-1498256465.jpg
    image-1498256465.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 151
Really like that, but I would think that would have to be structurally designed into the boat.?

Naaa. A good marine grade hinge and cables or chains and other assorted hardware and you can extend your aft deck.

Really like that, but I would think that would have to be structurally designed into the boat.?

I was actually sitting here the other night having the same thought about a full width 'tailgate' and the same structural concerns.

OK, who's going to be the first one to try it?

I always have liked the True North Tailgate..
Actually I like a lot more than the tailgate..

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• tnorth.jpg
    tnorth.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 440
I was actually sitting here the other night having the same thought about a full width 'tailgate' and the same structural concerns.

Making it easier to pull in a sturgeon?

img_224757_0_9f73ce3495ca83fe40df2d493d814dfa.jpg

I'd probably have to give up the rails that are covered with fire hose in that picture.

Actually was not talking about the actual gate itself, but the port and starboard sides that are now not tied together and basically winging. I know in sportfisherman, there is structure around the door supporting it.
Naaa. A good marine grade hinge and cables or chains and other assorted hardware and you can extend your aft deck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom