Quiet fresh water pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
Hello,

We are looking to replace our Jabsco Belt Drive water pump with something much quieter. I seem to recall a thread about this but cannot find it with my searches. Can someone send me the link or give me a recommendation? The jabsco works fine but sounds a bit like a rubber beaked woodpecker pounding on the hull when the water is on or the head is flushed. It would be nice to find a "stealth mode" pump to replace the current pump.

Our is a simple Shurflo pump. It's quiet. I believe it is 1.6 gpm. That's been adequate for us to this point.

Attachments

• RKL_2196.jpg
    RKL_2196.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 121
I think that how quiet it eventually ends up being is a factor of how, where, and to what it is mounted. I have a Shur-Flo in the pic about and it's a bit noisy. I have messed around with some different mountings to keep the vibrations from extending all thru the boat. However, I *DO* want to hear it run a little. Makes it easy to check and make sure it still works or if there is a fresh water leak.

I think that how quiet it eventually ends up being is a factor of how, where, and to what it is mounted. I have a Shur-Flo in the pic about and it's a bit noisy. I have messed around with some different mountings to keep the vibrations from extending all thru the boat. However, I *DO* want to hear it run a little. Makes it easy to check and make sure it still works or if there is a fresh water leak.

Second Tom's comment. I have become aware of several leaks over the years because of the sound of the pump running. In addition I realized that my water maker's fresh water cycle wasn't working because of the silence of the fresh water pump. Some sound is good.

Isolate your pump from the boat's structure. There are many ways to do this so whatever works best is left up to you.

Thanks for the replies! I think I will start with seeing if ai can isolate the pump some and reduce the sound. I had not thought about the benefit of hearing the pump, but did get a reminder of that one time when a hose to the hot water heater came of and the pump kicked on until I flipped the breaker. Then proceeded to find the leak. Thanks for the reminder.

For pump noise reduction, you can mount the pump (s) on 2 short pieces of vacuum hose. Cut each end at 45 degrees and mount to the boat, then screw the pump to the hose.

We have 2 indicator leds that are visible from the galley and salon. One for the water pump and one for the engine room lights. If the pump/lights are on, the light (s) are on.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 137
I guess I should have said "quiet enough". We can hear the pump run, but in a "sounds like the water pump is on" instead of a "there goes the damn water pump again" way.

Loud enough to let one know the water is running (when the engine isn't operating).

img_224622_0_fc660dbbc004021f2a2215aeda5cc30d.jpg

Last edited:
Hey... Now THAT'S pretty slick, Larry!

If the water pump is really quiet its easy to wire a Pump Running light to the pump.

An easy concept for silence is a BIG size accumulator tank.

A pump you can hear may fool you into thinking you have a leak, hours after engine shut down the water on the HW side will cool, shrink, and the pump may run.

As an ex offshore sailor I vote for a loud pump .

Back
Top Bottom