Replace halogen with LED.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
I have 18 puck lights made by Hera all halogen bulbs 20 watts. The inside diameter is 1.5" and somewhat domed. Anybody know the led replacement bulbs for these fixtures?
The molded printing on the fixture says Type T bulb but it appears they will accept G4 bulbs.
Because thet are domed, they may not take a 1.5" disc type LED.

We bought these at Lowes. Less than $10/each. Maybe?

Attachments

• 002 (3).jpg
    002 (3).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 137
IMTRA makes a back pin G-4 bulb with extra long pins that fit the smaller fixtures. You can get them at Fisheries Supply.

Search eBay. Tons of G4 lights, some $1 or less.

I have 18 puck lights made by Hera all halogen bulbs 20 watts. The inside diameter is 1.5" and somewhat domed. Anybody know the led replacement bulbs for these fixtures?
The molded printing on the fixture says Type T bulb but it appears they will accept G4 bulbs.
Because thet are domed, they may not take a 1.5" disc type LED.

Not familiar with T bulbs, but your fixture sounds similar to our overheads (except the domed part) and ours all take G4 side-pin models. Got ours from Mastlight, which has since gone south... and their site now points to MarineBeam.com. We also some aim-able reading lights that can use back-pin G4s, which seem to me to be slightly easier to deal with.

They do publish pretty good physical dimensions (as do other sites), so maybe you can work out whether their disc diameters will fit in yours.

I'd have thought a convex dome lens would provide even more clearance inside. Or do you mean the doming is concave, so the lens may interfere with a disc? Or maybe you mean the interior reflector is the domed part? Ours is curved, and I didn't have any trouble with G4 clearances.

Sometimes I've had to trim the pins to length, so the disc centers properly.

-Chris

Last edited:
Or do you mean the doming is concave, so the lens may interfere with a disc? Or maybe you mean the interior reflector is the domed part? Ours is curved, and I didn't have any trouble with G4 clearances.

Sometimes I've had to trim the pins to length, so the disc centers properly.

-Chris

Chris, the reflector part of the fixture is concave and the pin holes are fixed near the top of the concave but along the side, so I'm concerned a 1 1/2 " or even a 1 1/4" disc type led bulb may not fit. The lens is flat. I guess I'll order a couple and see. Since it's a dome type fixture the bulb must be of the disc variety, I guess.

Attachments

• P1050563.JPG
    P1050563.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
If you want quality, these MarineBeam.com is a great source LEDs that are designed for the marine market. Their white papers, linked below, are worth reading as to what that means and more. Phone consultation is available and helpful. After screwing around with various cheap LEDs, I learned my lesson and only use them.

Highly recommended.

Technical Info

Chris, the reflector part of the fixture is concave and the pin holes are fixed near the top of the concave but along the side, so I'm concerned a 1 1/2 " or even a 1 1/4" disc type led bulb may not fit. The lens is flat. I guess I'll order a couple and see. Since it's a dome type fixture the bulb must be of the disc variety, I guess.

I think I can see what you mean. Trying one might be worth a shot, though. You could call marinebeam in advance and have a discussion about exact dimensions, maybe... and they may be familiar with the Hera fixtures...

-Chris

All LED lights and fixtures are not created equal. I suggest reading and watching the videos that George mentioned above by MarineBeam.com.
As an early adopter of an all LED vessel I learned some of the inexpensive non regulated LED replacements aren't worth the postage or shipping $$'s.
Bill

Tim,

As posted in other threads, I have had great luck with the $.99 Chinese cheapies. No burn outs in four years with the (spoke with the new owner two week ago) old boat. On my second year in the new boat.

Maybe order one or two first to see if they fit.

Rob

Last edited:
Tim,

As posted in other threads, I have had great luck with the $.99 Chinese cheapies. No burn outs in four years with the (spoke with the new owner two week ago) old boat. On my second year in the new boat.

Maybe order one or two first to see if they fit.

Rob
I have no need to try the inexpensive unregulated LED's I'm fully converted and these LED's will probably outlive me...
Bill

Tim,

I should have said your fixtures look like what I had/have. They fit mine fine.

Rob

Tim,

I bought G4 9LED bulbs for my fixtures on my 355. Anything more that 9led per bulb was too bright. I also ordered warm white. I found them on ebay and the cost was not terrible. On a few of the fixtures, I had to order complete replacement fixtures as the wiring was somewhat corroded.

Buck/boost power supply, about $3.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom