View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
Richard W

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
To me, the photovoltaic solar cell array is an interesting idea. Of course, being able to power around for 'free' is very appealing. But, while the theory is attractive, the practice is a little different. With the low efficiency of solar cells, the relatively limited space available for the array, and the need for strong sunshine, I think Greenline claims that in strong sun the array could move the boat at 4 kts. Not bad, and OK for puttering around a harbor, but not enough to deal with any kind of current. If it would be possible to get solar only propulsion up to 7-8 kts, then I think it could be a much more attractive and viable proposition (in Florida at least, not in the cloudy PNW), but that would probably take a major advance in solar cell conversion efficiency (and battery capacity to have more useful range).
On that point, the solar/regenerative/one-way-or-another electricity is interesting idea that can supplement/offset some carbon based fuels and reduce emissions. Me thinks, there is a different, much bigger shift in thinking represented in Greenline pleasure boats than renewable energy.

Look at the big and powerful diesel locomotives, well … they are really electricity driven beasts. They were invented over 100 years ago. A similar approach migrated to personal cars only in the last 7-10 years. The same is beginning to happen with boats now … the electric propulsion system concepts already used in big and powerful ships like Wärtsilä Electric Propulsion are migrating to pleasure boats.

I find the Greenline's electric/diesel powertrain to be more important innovation in this type of boat, primary and perhaps the disruptive change, than how the electricity is generated or provided which is a secondary issue.

I like the idea that the propulsion can be generated directly by electric motor or directly by diesel engine.

I like the idea that you do not have to install and run two separate diesel engines to have propulsion and generate electricity … one would need a second diesel engine for redundancy only, not for the functionality.

I like the idea that the powertrain can be driven by renewable sources of electric energy, whatever they might be now or in future, but do not depend on them exclusively.

I like the options that this approach provides … well, until the fuel cell is perfected and feasible …