Genset cost per KW hour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Home depot has the plugs and receptacles, an adapter can be made up with a length of cable to suit.

Home depot has the plugs and receptacles, an adapter can be made up with a length of cable to suit.

Home Depot has the 30-amp female receptacle? Really? (Not that I doubt your word -- just making sure that I didn't misunderstand, since I checked their catalog online and didn't see one).

Last edited:
Yea, I bought a 30a 125v three prong female there.

Where did you order that from, Al? I need one also.

1536310_lg.jpg

That's a standard adapter available at any marine store including West Marine. You can also get it with a short piece of cable between the ends.

If you travel much, it pays to have one of these on board.

In the old days!!!:oldman:

Geez. . . . I hate to say that, it makes me sound old!! . . . but maybe I am?

To the point. . . When I first started boating, every dock was different. Big marinas might have 30 amp twist plug service, smaller marinas would have one of two different plug pattern 20 amp plugs and some had only 15 amp plug service. So everybody carried two or three different pigtails to convert your 30 amp plug to whatever was the local service.

One marina had a totally different pin pattern and if you wanted electrical there was a $20 deposit or credit card and they gave you a pigtail with their plug on one end. Their explanation. . . to stop boats from slipping in at night and using their electrical. Now who would do that??? :eek:

I still have those pigtails, but haven't used them in 20 years. . . . .

To the point. . . When I first started boating, every dock was different. Big marinas might have 30 amp twist plug service, smaller marinas would have one of two different plug pattern 20 amp plugs and some had only 15 amp plug service. So everybody carried two or three different pigtails to convert your 30 amp plug to whatever was the local service.

One marina had a totally different pin pattern and if you wanted electrical there was a $20 deposit or credit card and they gave you a pigtail with their plug on one end. Their explanation. . . to stop boats from slipping in at night and using their electrical. Now who would do that??? :eek:
I still have those pigtails, but haven't used them in 20 years. . . . .

They are still all different here in the Northeast. Pigtails can be your best friend, we also carry a 30 male to twin 30 female for those times there is only one outlet for 2 boats...

One marina had a totally different pin pattern and if you wanted electrical there was a $20 deposit or credit card and they gave you a pigtail with their plug on one end. ...I still have those pigtails, but haven't used them in 20 years. . . . .

Hey Grandpa,

You mean you stole the $20 pigtail and can't remember where you put 'em?

:hide: :D

I think that might have been Deer Harbor Marina, Orcas Island, that rented the pigtails to you. . . . But they never charged anything to my VISA card . . . . So I guess I never kept one?? :angel:

But I was a State employee Al. . . not a Federal employee!! :lol:

To the point. . . When I first started boating, every dock was different.

GEEEEZZZ - Why'd cha have ta go and put it dat way??!!!

In LI NY during late 50's through early/mid 60's (my really young boating days)... There were no elect hook ups at what were then marina/boatyard combinations' pillared docks with straight vertical ladders to climb down to get aboard our boats. Short of a couple regular two prong standard plug sockets up on the parking areas, that is. Also, floating docks were pretty much non existent. About 1960 was first I recall seeing any. Then they quickly proliferated everywhere.

Anyway - so far as pleasure boating these days compared to middle last Century - we're not in Kansas anymore Toto!
Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

To the point. . . When I first started boating, every dock was different.

GEEEEZZZ - Why'd cha have ta go and put it dat way??!!!

In LI NY during late 50's through early/mid 60's (my really young boating days)... There were no elect hook ups at what were then marina/boatyard combinations' pillared docks with straight vertical ladders to climb down to get aboard our boats. Short of a couple regular two prong standard plug sockets up on the parking areas, that is. Also, floating docks were pretty much non existent. About 1960 was first I recall seeing any. Then they quickly proliferated everywhere.

Anyway - so far as pleasure boating these days compared to middle last Century - we're not in Kansas anymore Toto!
Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I wasn't around for the 60's, but growing up as a lake boater in NC, all the docks were floating, so it was a shock to me the first time I saw docks that didn't float.

We work it simple as can be! Run our 7.5 Kohler gen about 1.5 hrs per day to keep batts up, food/coffee cooked, water hot/warm, ac refrig cold, computers and phones charged... etc. At that rate we stay on hook for any number of days. As energy assistance-savers: - Watch movies on 17” computer screen - Keep small block of ice on refer’s top shelf - Do a lot of BBQing - Swim a lot - few showers needed - Keep soft light in cabins with rechargeable battery hanging lights - Heat on cool days with HeatMate alcohol heater/warmer - Even though have one - don’t need AC at all And - we don't have or need for or want an inverter! Living in the temperate climate of Nor Cal and boating in the very good climate, warm fresh waters of SF Bay Delta makes life easy aboard boat – or anywhere near for that matter! Happy Boating GenSet Days! – Art PS: figure our gen uses about .75 gal per hr. Four day anchor out costs approx $25.00 in gen set fuel.

Surprised people don't value minimizing genset running time more. 1.5 hours per day is great. If at anchor or dock with no power it usually takes us 4+ hours on my boat to top up batteries after a day. So I am working on reducing loads with LEDs and someday a new DC refer compressor unit. Inverter is the best way to run most items and my 2500 watt came with a great charger. The point is whisper quiet power is what is best. I will also try and add 500 watts of solar at some point for same reason. Quiet comfort. Great thread. We have an 8kw northern lights unit that will run it all with load to spare. Not whisper quiet though!!! Lots of good saver ideas Art thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Back
Top Bottom