Buying new strainer baskets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill Ranson

Vessel Name
Cork
Vessel Make
Halvorsen GC32
Buying new strainer baskets for Groco strainers. One now has poly and the other has stainless baskets. The poly has larger openings in the actual mesh sides compared to the SS.
Are they interchangeable? It seems the flow rate would be higher in the poly because of larger openings but do you sacrifice filtering ability?
The poly was on the AC intake new the SS was on the main engine intake.

Air conditioners don't have the shell and tube heat exchangers that engines have. Some chunks can go right through the AC flow path. Main engines often have small diameter tubes that can be obstructed by chunks. So not uncommon to have the large mesh on ac's and small mesh on engines.

Here is what Groco has to say about the plastic baskets.

Non-metallic Filter Baskets:
GROCO
offers ARG-P series strainers with nonmetallic
filter. The corrosion-proof nonmetallic
baskets are an advantage in
continuous running or high usage
installations such as air conditioning,
generators, or refrigeration
systems where the continuous

flow of sea water shortens filter basket life.

My personal opinion is that anything that can get through the plastic strainer basket's larger holes will still make it through the rest of the system.

We installed the plastic strainer baskets for the AC, water maker and generator. I was going through 1-2 SS baskets per year previously. The plastic hasn't failed yet. :)

"We installed the plastic strainer baskets for the AC, water maker and generator. I was going through 1-2 SS baskets per year previously. The plastic hasn't failed yet. :) "

Darn you Larry, I make a lot of money selling the stainless baskets. Stop spreading these rumors that the plastic ones are better. I've been trying to hide that for years.

I have a plastic basket on my Groco strainer for the engine (1 1/2 inch). It filters good enough to keep debris out of the heat exchangers. I remove them every 2 or 3 seasons for maintenance and never found anything in them.
I also have plastic on the Groco for the genny, and never found anything that got thru there either.
Both thru hulls have scoop style strainers on them.

Thanks everyone. I'm going with SS on the engine and poly on the genny and AC.

2 Inch Perko sea strainers $175EACH

If anyone is repowering or has a really BIG air cond.

Back
Top Bottom