Does this make me cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Art.

I have to say I've been a bit surprised at some of the responses. I've never considered myself to be a law breaker type, but honestly, who hasn't filled up their dinghy in the midst of a cruise from a jerry jug? Is there a boater out there who can claim to have NEVER spilled any fuel? I'd have a hard time believing someone who told me that, unless they have only been boating a very short time.

As to the jist of your message, I've begun to fill a bit uneasy myself. It seems like every day there are more and more laws, fewer and fewer freedoms. All done in the idea that we are somehow being protected.

I am far from a gun nut, I have two shotguns and a rifle, I used to deer hunt, nowdays maybe I go on one bird hunt a year. I've never owned a handgun, I think assualt type weapons are kind of strange, and I don't see the need for a clip that holds more than 5 or 6 rounds.

That said does anyone really think more gun laws are going to stop the crazy, tragic killings? Unfortunately, they will not. To solve that would require addressing problems at the very root of our society and the depths of mental illness. Gov't can't and won't do that. So they make more laws, we lose more freedoms. They gain more control over our lives.

They tell us we can't haul 50 gallons of diesel in the back of a pickup. What if I am a farmer?

Rant over.

Doug

That's the first time I've ever known you to be not sure of anything! :rolleyes:

Read my posts more carefully from now on...

I'm not sure of a lot of things I don't know about...:rofl:

I AM sure of the things I do know about.....:socool:

I even uually post links that reasonable people believe to support my boating knowledge...something many more should consider....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

November 20, 2012
Georgia Men Sentenced for Illegally Transporting Fuel

Summary

On November 20, 2012, in U.S. District Court, Macon, Georgia, Enery Perez Rodriguez and Reinaldo Rodriguez were sentenced in connection with illegally transporting hazardous material. Enery Perez Rodriguez was ordered to serve three months of incarceration, 24 months of supervised release, fined $100 and ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $175. Reinaldo Rodriguez was sentenced to serve 13 months of incarceration, two months of supervised release, fined $100 and ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $998.
OIG's investigation established that the subjects used stolen credit cards to purchase 119 gallons of diesel fuel and then transported the fuel in violation of HAZMAT safety regulations. Discover Card Services contacted the United States Secret Service following their discovery of the use of stolen credit card numbers. The subjects were observed using the credit cards and then filling multiple vehicles with diesel fuel using storage containers concealed inside the beds of the vehicles. The fuel was then transported and sold on the black market.
This investigation was worked jointly with the U.S. Secret Service with significant assistance from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Georgia Division.

Sounds like the bigger crime was stealing the fuel with stolen credit card numbers.

Miramar man accused of transporting fuel down I-95

A Miramar man was charged with transporting gas he bought in Orlando to Miami… (Port St. Luciie police )

December 9, 2013|By Scott T. Smith, WPEC-Ch. 12
A Miramar man is accused of illegally transporting 278 gallons of gas in the cab and bed of his truck.
Port St. Lucie police stopped a white 2001 Chevy Silverado pickup with dark tinted windows and a bed cover on I-95 on Dec. 3. An officer reported the truck having difficulty staying in a single lane while southbound near Crosstown Parkway.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The driver was identified as Hector Carmenate Vaillant, 44, of Miramar. Inside the truck cab the officer found 13 five-gallon containers of gas and an overwhelming odor of gasoline. In the bed of the truck were two large aluminum box containers, fuel hoses and an electric fuel pump covered in a case with a pillow and wrapped in duct tape.
The officer noted Vaillant had bloodshot eyes and the officer got a headache from the gasoline fumes in the cab of the truck.
Vaillant told police that gas is too expensive in the Miami area, so he drives to Orlando to buy gas from a friend at a cheaper price, about $3.20 per gallon on this trip. He said he planned to sell the gas at the current price in the Miami area.
When asked where he got the gas from his friend, he said he didn't know because the friend directed him by phone as he drove there.
Vaillant was arrested on a charge of illegal transport of fuel. His truck was seized.

Miramar man arrested for transporting gas down I-95 - Sun Sentinel

November 20, 2012
Georgia Men Sentenced for Illegally Transporting Fuel

Summary

OIG's investigation established that the subjects used stolen credit cards to purchase 119 gallons of diesel fuel and then transported the fuel in violation of HAZMAT safety regulations. Discover Card Services contacted the United States Secret Service following their discovery of the use of stolen credit card numbers. The subjects were observed using the credit cards and then filling multiple vehicles with diesel fuel using storage containers concealed inside the beds of the vehicles. The fuel was then transported and sold on the black market.

Am I missing something here??? What in the world does...

- Crooks,
- Stolen credit cards,
- 119 gallons of illegally obtained (i.e stolen) fuel,
- Transporting in violation of HAZMAT,
- Filling multiple vehicles,
- Storage containers concealed inside vehicle beds, and;
- Selling the stolen fuel on black maket

... have to do with honest boat owner bringing legally designed 5 gallon fuel containers of fuel to put into their boat!?!?!???

I don't see ANY similarity! :facepalm:

This is about another crook; at the very least a very untrustworthy individual with many, many fuel containers improperly stored or sealed allowing fuel to spill all over in his vehicle! :eek: :facepalm:

Again, no similarity to an honest upstanding citizen boat owner transporting a few, good condition, tightly sealed, 5 gallon fuel containers in their vehicle to pour onto their boat's fuel tanks. :thumb: :D

Florida Law...looks like you just have to have paperwork with it and you are OK for what most here would be doing...so it pays to keep those pesky receipts till the tanks are empty....

206.20 Transportation of motor fuel over public highways. - Florida Statutes

206.20 Transportation of motor fuel over public highways.

(1) Every person hauling, transporting, or conveying motor fuel over any of the public highways of this state must, during the entire time he or she is so engaged, have in his or her possession an invoice or delivery ticket, bill of sale, or other record evidence showing the true name and address of the person from whom he or she has received the motor fuel, the number of gallons so originally received by him or her from said person, the true name and address, including state of destination, of every person to whom he or she has made deliveries of said motor fuel, and the number of gallons so delivered to each of said persons, and the destination address of the undelivered gallons. The person hauling, transporting, or conveying such motor fuel shall, at the request of any person required by law to inquire into or investigate said matters, produce and offer for inspection said invoice or delivery ticket, bill of sale, or record evidence. If the person fails to produce the invoice or delivery ticket, bill of sale, or record evidence, or if, when produced, it fails clearly to disclose said information, the same shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.

(2) Any person engaged in the business activity of transporting fuel over public highways as a private or common carrier or for his or her own account shall maintain records disclosing all receipts and deliveries of fuel products enumerated in subsection (1). Records shall include terminal location or receiving point of origin, federal employer identification numbers of the fuel owner, the shipper and the consignee, the volume and type of fuel transported, the complete address of delivery destination, the date and time of pickup and delivery and, for all imports of untaxed fuel, the import authorization number required by this part.

(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to vehicles transporting motor fuel not in excess of 200 gallons contained in the fuel tank of such vehicle provided for the carrying of motor fuel for propelling same, which motor fuel is to be used solely for the motive power of such vehicle, to vehicles transporting motor fuel in quantities of not more than 5 gallons for emergency purposes, or to motor fuel being transported by common carrier in railroad cars.

(4) Except as authorized by this chapter, it is unlawful for any person to transport or cause to be transported any taxable motor or diesel fuels, other than through bulk transfer, within this state, upon which the tax imposed by this part has not been paid, including all fuels removed from bulk storage through a loading rack.

(5) The department may authorize a licensed importer to transport untaxed fuel if all credit requirements set forth in s. 206.051 have been met.

(6) Transportation of fuel by common carrier from a point outside the state to a destination outside the state in interstate or foreign commerce shall not constitute a violation of this section.

(7) Any person who violates this section commits a first degree misdemeanor, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083; and, in addition, the department may revoke or cancel the license of such person.
- See more at: 206.20 Transportation of motor fuel over public highways. - Florida Statutes

It also looks like that because the fuel was "for sale" they violated hazmat regs designed for motor carriers...probably were OK if it had just been for personal use as some here said they do.

....They tell us we can't haul 50 gallons of diesel in the back of a pickup. What if I am a farmer?

Doug

Well now, if you're a farmer then that's completely different. We'll subsidize all your fuel purchases, we'll excuse you from most fuel taxes, if you dry your corn with propane you'll get a subsidy and tax break for that too and pay a lower rate for propane than any other user, you can write off the depreciation on your new pick-up truck and all other equipment -- including your RV if you use it for farm purposes, like serving lunch during farming operations, you can transport just about anything you want in the back of that pickup including fuel of any kind, heck, you can transport fertilizer and chemicals that for any other person would bring down a Homeland Security raid. You also get exempted from all clean air and water regulations, you're welcome to turn any body of water into a thick green gravy with agricultural runoff from 10,000 cows, because after all Clem, you feed America don't cha know! Oh, and we'll make the taxpayers protect your income no matter what the market conditions might be. Oh, and we'll mandate ethanol production to create a market for your products, even if the production is a net energy loss, and even if it trashes certain engines and (boat) motor systems. But those darn boaters better not discharge the output of one human into the coastal ocean.

(Sorry, couldn't resist, live in a farm state and it drives me insane.)

Reactions: Art
That Florida guy probably broke some other laws by transporting GASOLINE in such an unsafe manner. Jugs behind seat tipped at an angle? Headache causing gas stink? Pretty outrageous. Fire bomb on wheels. Ignition switch or blinkers make sparks. BOOM!!!

As someone else posted, safety is as safety does (did I quote that right??). That gas in the truck is not safe.

On my truck with three blue barrels of diesel, it's within weight rating of truck, barrels are secured well, tightly sealed, and it is DIESEL. Risk to me and the traveling public is very low. Yes, a bad wreck could cause a spill. But so could a Honda Civic t-boning a tractor trailer right at the 150gal fuel saddle tank. Spilled diesel makes a mess, clean it up, not the end of the world.

Says "Moved" on General Discussion thread list page? To where??

Off topic.....

Now when an off topic thread goes off topic, wonder where it is moved?

BB - As this moved OTDE / / how the heck are we still posting here - delayed closure??? :confused:

Whut?? I'm in the Twilight Zone - Again!

Whut?? I'm in the Twilight Zone - Again!

Look at the top left part of the page, just under the logo, and you will see we are in the Off Topic Forum. When one moves a thread then all that changes is where it's located. But guessing you're posting to it by clicking on your control panel and so you're going to the new location.

Look at the top left part of the page, just under the logo, and you will see we are in the Off Topic Forum. When one moves a thread then all that changes is where it's located. But guessing you're posting to it by clicking on your control panel and so you're going to the new location.

Awww shucks - I'm so used to going directly to OTDE that I don't think I've even been on OTF before.

Anyway - I was (even after it moved) posting off this same heading that was (is?) still listed on the "General Discussion" page!

Geeeezzzz, I can get considerably confused by all these page shifts at this hour of the night! - LOL

Good night!

:whistling:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom