View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #46
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Choosing the Right Anchor for Your Trawler

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:I like the winglets as they probably keep the ass end of the anchor from sinking down and ruining the angle of attack of the tip * * *.. helping the anchor to set. A good thing but I thought both Rocna and Manson have (for all PP) the same winglets.
Eric---The purpose of the winglets (or skid plates) is the same on both anchors. They give the anchor a pivot point when it's lying on its side, which is how the roll bar forces it to end up on the bottom no matter how it lands.* So when you pull on the anchor to set it, the wde end of the fluke assisted by the pivoting force from the winglet/skid plate on the down side of the anchor force the point of the fluke to cut cut sideways into the bottom just like a knife blade being pivoted down.* The design of the Rocna's skid plate is a bit different than the winglet of the Manson in that the Rocna's skid plate will get a better "grip" on the bottom as the anchor is pulled forward, so it will drive the point of the fluke in and down a little harder, which is what you want.* Again, it's a subtle difference but I figure in anchoring every little bit helps.

You shouldn't have to fasten a bolt into the end of the slot in the Manson to keep your rode shackle from sliding down to the fluke end.* The anchor is made with a hole in the shank just below the end of the slot for this purpose.* It's the hole the tag is tied through in the photo.* I would think your idea of a trip line secured to the fluke end of the slot and passing under the roll bar and up to the surface should work fine to back the anchor out if you ever need to.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 13th of June 2010 05:47:21 PM
Attached Thumbnails
manson.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote