Fire Arms or Other Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drmnj

Well my wife is definitely against taking fire arms on our summer cruise through the Caribbean. What other types of protection are you guys using out there. Thanks for your suggestions

The best is self-defense training if you aren't going to carry superior firepower.

And I don't mean martial arts...it's about self and vessel assessment, capabilities, training in a variety of hand to hand involving what's at hand.....

People who advocate stuff like bear spray, wasp spray, etc...etc...really don't have a clue.

Yes it might be used as a distractor but as a deterrent....nah...not in my estimation.

I really think you have to look at it in 2 ways....where you go is the threat ashore as well as on your boat...if so...where are you most vulnerable? As far as the boat...what can you do to reduce the chances of attack, reduce the desirability of your vessel, reduce the possibility of boarders getting to you or valuables, increase the time it would take to breach, funnel them through ambush zones...etc..etc..

If you are serious...get the training or pay a pro to go through all the possibilities with you and outline your plan of defense.

But most...just say avoid the few bad areas and enjoy as there are relatively few incidents involving cruisers in the big scheme of things.

Five years in the Caribbean and some strong opinions on defense. Basically, one way or another you will lose if you have to defend yourself. If you loose the fight you can imagine your situation. If you succeed you will find a legal system geared against the foreigner. Realize this and you will then realize that your best defense is to be street smart and avoid making yourself a target.

Leave the jewelry at home. Most woman leave their engagement rings in a safety deposit box - think about it, the typical engagement ring is a multi-year income for a drug addict. Simple silver or steel wedding bands are worn by many boaters. Many of us also have a different watch for wearing in the Caribbean.

Give some thought to the ATM machines, try and use those in a marina, or other location populated by boaters - and definitely during the day time.

Never flash cash, if possible use a credit card for purchases - and for North Americans never let the card out of your sight, it is too easy to copy the card.

Most boaters go out at night to only selected places - usually the marina areas. Wandering through the local villages at night leaves you open to attack.

When anchoring avoid being close to the beach off of a populated non marina area. Too easy to swim to your boat.

Lock the dinghy, its motor and its gas can.

Check Noon-site for latest in crime areas. You will find some anchorages have a bad reputation for good reason.

While US dollars are accepted in many English speaking countries of the Caribbean, outside of the Bahamas the use of US dollars marks you as a tourist carrying big bucks. Use the local currency from an ATM.

Isolated anchorages are beautiful but at night they can make you a target.

We follow many of the incidents as the nets report almost all attacks against boaters. In many, if not most, of the cases, the attacked boater did something which made him or her a target.

In some areas it is worth the effort to keep borders OFF the boat.

Our technique was a 12V Sears 20 mile cattle fence shocker.

Unless its a metal boat most stanchions are insulated enough as mounted to be wired in the circuit.

When off the boat we use a lock that will not cause boat damage when its broken off.

A device called Burgalarmist is trip wired to the entry ,

You may sleep on deck if its tripped till you get all the Mace vacuumed up.

As a minimum a wired OTS door mat wired to a solenoid to light the boat and blow the horn would be cheap and quick.Wire it in so IF removed , the circuit activates.

Locks keep out honest folks , IF the dink engine looks beat (some spray paint on the lower unit sections ) and well secured some locals will be too lazy to go for it.

I have a fire arm in my boat but I hope I never need to use. I'll have to pass in the Venezuelan coast and I'm afraid about pirates

My thought is, if you're thinking of going someplace where you'll need firearms for personal protection, maybe it would be safest to just no go there. Just like on land.

It's not going to be much fun if you're in constant fear of being attacked.

maybe it would be safest to just no go there. Just like on land.

That takes out an awful number of US cities!

maybe it would be safest to just no go there. Just like on land.

That takes out an awful number of US cities!
Certain parts of most cities. Where I live made the top ten list a few times but it's just certain areas. My part is relatively safe.

I agree, but how can I go down to Brazil and no pass though Venezuela? I have no authonomy to go far from the coast. My boat is at St Thomas and I'm going April 1st navegate to down.

I'm not afraid with the common pirates, but with the drugs pirates thats wants the boat.

Drug pirates may have been common in the 1960s but today its sea land boxes , tunnels and home made submarines that ship prohibition items.

anyway .... I do not intend to use, is only to prevent

Marty nailed it, best to keep a low profile BUT your boat says you are rich, so travel/ anchor in groups or at least anchor with other cruisers. The pirates in the movie "Capt Phillips" are no BS. A box of thumb tacks and a magnet to retrieve them in the morning is a deterrent and early warning alarm. Also a dog that has been trained to alert on intruders. The 12 gauge flare pistol has many uses other than signalling distress ! Deck lighting with an inside switch, hand held air horns, the list goes on, shame we live in a world were these things have to be considered but we do.
Bill

Last edited:
With the minor draw of LED simply lighting the boat might be worthwhile .

anyway .... I do not intend to use, is only to prevent

How does having a gun on board prevent anything?

If you display it, you had better be prepared to use it. If you don't display it, what's the point in having it on board?

A gun can easily keep you and your crew from having their throats cut , or being thrown overboard.

BOARD my boat against my will, or in the middle of the night and you have pulled the trigger , not me.

A gun can easily keep you and your crew from having their throats cut , or being thrown overboard.

BOARD my boat against my will, or in the middle of the night and you have pulled the trigger , not me.

Read what I was responding to. Your answer doesn't apply.

The best is self-defense training if you aren't going to carry superior firepower. And I don't mean martial arts...it's about self and vessel assessment, capabilities, training in a variety of hand to hand involving what's at hand..... People who advocate stuff like bear spray, wasp spray, etc...etc...really don't have a clue. Yes it might be used as a distractor but as a deterrent....nah...not in my estimation. I really think you have to look at it in 2 ways....where you go is the threat ashore as well as on your boat...if so...where are you most vulnerable? As far as the boat...what can you do to reduce the chances of attack, reduce the desirability of your vessel, reduce the possibility of boarders getting to you or valuables, increase the time it would take to breach, funnel them through ambush zones...etc..etc.. If you are serious...get the training or pay a pro to go through all the possibilities with you and outline your plan of defense. But most...just say avoid the few bad areas and enjoy as there are relatively few incidents involving cruisers in the big scheme of things.

I appreciate your good advice. Thanks

Five years in the Caribbean and some strong opinions on defense. Basically, one way or another you will lose if you have to defend yourself. If you loose the fight you can imagine your situation. If you succeed you will find a legal system geared against the foreigner. Realize this and you will then realize that your best defense is to be street smart and avoid making yourself a target. Leave the jewelry at home. Most woman leave their engagement rings in a safety deposit box - think about it, the typical engagement ring is a multi-year income for a drug addict. Simple silver or steel wedding bands are worn by many boaters. Many of us also have a different watch for wearing in the Caribbean. Give some thought to the ATM machines, try and use those in a marina, or other location populated by boaters - and definitely during the day time. Never flash cash, if possible use a credit card for purchases - and for North Americans never let the card out of your sight, it is too easy to copy the card. Most boaters go out at night to only selected places - usually the marina areas. Wandering through the local villages at night leaves you open to attack. When anchoring avoid being close to the beach off of a populated non marina area. Too easy to swim to your boat. Lock the dinghy, its motor and its gas can. Check Noon-site for latest in crime areas. You will find some anchorages have a bad reputation for good reason. While US dollars are accepted in many English speaking countries of the Caribbean, outside of the Bahamas the use of US dollars marks you as a tourist carrying big bucks. Use the local currency from an ATM. Isolated anchorages are beautiful but at night they can make you a target. We follow many of the incidents as the nets report almost all attacks against boaters. In many, if not most, of the cases, the attacked boater did something which made him or her a target.

Thanks, I will definitely listen to this advice

The best is self-defense training if you aren't going to carry superior firepower. And I don't mean martial arts...it's about self and vessel assessment, capabilities, training in a variety of hand to hand involving what's at hand..... People who advocate stuff like bear spray, wasp spray, etc...etc...really don't have a clue. Yes it might be used as a distractor but as a deterrent....nah...not in my estimation. I really think you have to look at it in 2 ways....where you go is the threat ashore as well as on your boat...if so...where are you most vulnerable? As far as the boat...what can you do to reduce the chances of attack, reduce the desirability of your vessel, reduce the possibility of boarders getting to you or valuables, increase the time it would take to breach, funnel them through ambush zones...etc..etc.. If you are serious...get the training or pay a pro to go through all the possibilities with you and outline your plan of defense. But most...just say avoid the few bad areas and enjoy as there are relatively few incidents involving cruisers in the big scheme of things.

Thanks, I think I'll try and avoid the bad areas.

In some areas it is worth the effort to keep borders OFF the boat. Our technique was a 12V Sears 20 mile cattle fence shocker. Unless its a metal boat most stanchions are insulated enough as mounted to be wired in the circuit. When off the boat we use a lock that will not cause boat damage when its broken off. A device called Burgalarmist is trip wired to the entry , You may sleep on deck if its tripped till you get all the Mace vacuumed up. As a minimum a wired OTS door mat wired to a solenoid to light the boat and blow the horn would be cheap and quick.Wire it in so IF removed , the circuit activates. Locks keep out honest folks , IF the dink engine looks beat (some spray paint on the lower unit sections ) and well secured some locals will be too lazy to go for it.

Thanks I'll check into the devices you recommended

My thought is, if you're thinking of going someplace where you'll need firearms for personal protection, maybe it would be safest to just no go there. Just like on land. It's not going to be much fun if you're in constant fear of being attacked.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately we live in this world and can't avoid all of it's perils

With the minor draw of LED simply lighting the boat might be worthwhile .

Thanks we have really good LED lighting but I think we 're going to ad 2 motion detector lights hooked to sirens to hopefully scare off intruders

I think one of the biggest causes of violence is when a criminal boards a boat looking to steal, makes it into the cabin and surprises the sleeping owners. Maybe the criminal thought the boat was unoccupied, who knows. But once inside and someone wakes, all h&ll can break loose. With guns involved, bad things can happen.

Once I was tied up to a dock in SC, and left the salon door open as weather was nice. I was boarded in the middle of the night. By a raccoon!!! I woke with an adrenaline rush, scared the beast who then was bouncing off the walls, that boosted my adrenaline further. Lights were out and I had no idea what was going on until the critter had already exited the boat. If I had a gun in my hand, who knows what would have happened.

I do keep guns on the boat, but am well aware that they are of very limited use, and also that they do pose a real risk. A good argument can be made to both carry and to not carry. I am close to being on the fence. A little to the carry side, though.

For some element of safety, I keep the guns in one locker and ammo in another distant drawer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom