Mike Thompson has passed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
....this came to me by way of another forum Trawlers & Trawlering. I did not know of a way to link it directly to this particular posting, so I copied it here.
Brian

MTOA#3813, AGLCA #5485

On Mar 27, 2014, at 3:12 PM, Bob McLeran <rmcleran@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

It is with sadness that I write about the death of a boating friend who was
extremely knowledgeable about boats, boat design, the boat-building business, and DeFever trawlers, specifically. Mike Thompson (MV Full Step) died on March 9th, 2014, of complications of a genetic heart problem that had gone undetected for years.

Mike and his wife, Melissa, fully restored a DeFever 40 over a number of
years. I met them personally when they were reworking MV Full Step at a boat yard at Port Canaveral, Florida, after "meeting" Mike on this list, and Mike invited me to stop by to talk and see their project. In a previous life, Mike had managed a boat yard on Long Island, worked in several other yards both inthe design office and on the "floor," worked for Charlie Morgan (of Morgan Yachts) as a designer, and was a partner in Hallcraft Machining Inc in West Melbourne, Florida. He had also invented a computer controlled
three-dimensional 4' by 8' flat bed router cutter and sold and installed them throughout the southeastern United States for several years.

When Mike and Melissa were ready to start their boating lives, Mike searched for and found a DeFever 40 requiring extensive work, but they bought it for the hull and the design which Mike knew was of superior quality. They then spent a number of years stripping the hull down to its bare bones and building it back up again to the highest standards using their own talents and labor for most of the work. Their web site details just a few of their projects during the rebuilding process at http://www.mvfullstep.com/index.html.

Even before Mike became too ill last year to continue boating himself, he
followed many of us through our blogs.

Mike was a good friend. He helped me and many other boaters without any
hesitation and willingly answered a myriad of questions about anything related to boats and boat-building.

This is sad. Mike, known on this forum as Sceptic, was one of the first to welcome us to FL. He was always willing to help and was generous with advice. He will be truly missed.

That is one heck of a job he did on his boat! What a labor of love!

He was definitely one of the bright guys on the Forums. He was a real fan of Art DeFever and talked with Art about the work on his boat as he brought it back to life. RIP

Very sad. Whenever a resource like Mike is lost, I can only imagine what an absence he leaves in his intimate group of friends and family. Deepesf condolences.

What a shock. We met Mike and Melissa last summer with Larry and Lena,aboard the Hobo. Really nice people, we had a great afternoon. Our thoughts and prayers to Melissa.

Back
Top Bottom