Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make a table lamp out of it with maybe a fiberglass shade and keep it at home to remind you of all your hard work on the AXE.
The boat is looking great .Keep up the work but don't forget to chill when you need to .

I would use it as the leg for your dining table.

That bottom rudder mount looks, well, flimsy. I would give some thought to a thicker, stronger piece of iron down there. Might just be the photo, I am willing to admit!

Had another look and I still think it's too flimsy - the torque on the rudder with power on will be very stressful and may loosen it all up - plus, maneuvering backwards or bouncing it off something... Hope that never happens but if you torque it sideways it could open up the rudder packing and let the wet in.

Looking great, by the way...

X,
I agree too but maybe it's a weak link so in a mishap the keel won't be torn out or otherwise damaged. But then perhaps there should be a chain on the rudder.

Hendo was that the original rudder? Sure looks like it belongs to the boat.

Gday boys.
You beat me to it LOL ... :rofl: ... Yep I totally agree with you and it was scheduled to be address this weekend ... :thumb:

It was/is the original set up, however, it needed to be changed. I just chucked it up to see what its like for alignment.

Tomorrow, I am running 100x5 Galvanised flatbar down the length of the keel and I will be running it passed the end of the keel to address the lack of support for my rudder.

I will be welding up some side supports for it also. While im doing that I will be making up some tripod jack stands for when she is flipped over.

Funny you should mention keel damaged Eric. When I first picked her up, the prime mover backed in to the rudder, pushing the bracket forward and ultimately splitting the toe. The only bit I wanted to keep that wasn't broken haha :lol:

Thanks again for the heads up tho.

For everyone else tho, If Y'all see anything, please do let me know casue I may not have seen it. :blush:
I wont get offended :smitten: unless of course you're a naysayer and **** on the whole project then keep that to yourself. :lol:

I welcome and appreciate all the help I can get :thumb:

Below is my material for tomorrow and some pics of the original set up

Cheers again fellas

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 513.jpg
    513.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 529.jpg
    529.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 80
Well, I wrote a strong (I thought so) respectful and lively argument to support my position and when I posted it I saw that Hendo had posted in between, so I erased my deathless prose and will close by saying poops to you, Eric, and good on ya, Hendo!

Last edited:
Well, I wrote a strong (I thought so) respectful and lively argument to support my position and when I posted it I saw that Hendo had posted in between, so I erased my deathless prose and will close by saying poops to you, Eric, and good on ya, Hendo!

You don't need to argue your position mate! ... we are all friends here. Speak ya mind an ya shall be heard :thumb:

Xsbank,
"poops to you, Eric"

What on earth was that for?

X - It's not socially acceptable to "Poop" on Eric. :eek:

He is a TF mainstay! :thumb:

A great loss to TF if a new B's poop were to suffocate him! :eek:

Poop on anyone but Eric! - Art :rofl: :dance:

It's not evil, it's an expression my father used and it's a printed "cocking a snook." At the time I wrote it I was thinking about fathers and I thought it was amusing. I meant no disrespect and I apologize.

This is from a friend on another site and might give you an insight into why I was thinking of fathers. This is a blatant call for forgiveness.

http://biggeekdad.com/2014/01/arlington-flyover/#.UuY4tuvTEko.email

Last edited:
Xsbank,
Apology humbly accepted as I meant no disrespect to Hendo or his project. I think many should give some thought to a weak link in bow pulpits. If they are very solidly attached one's upper bow could get seriously damaged if enough force was exerted to the pulpit. Attach a swim step well enough and hit something hard and you could sink your boat from a hole in the transom.

And re the AXE it appears the skinny looking flat bar has served well for years per Hendo's comments about it being the original. Just a thought.

Greetings,
Mr. Art. "Poop on anyone but Eric!..." Well EXCUSE me!!!!! Now that I know how you really feel about the me and the rest of the members...

fart.gif

G'Day Mate

I hope you have her out cruising the Swan soon. I spent my youth in Perth and graduated from high school in Perth. I have fond memories of taking our boat out every weekend on the Swan and Cockburn Sound. Some of my misspent youth was hoisting some Swan Lagers at Steve's in my Nedland neighborhood on the Swan.
If that boat has Jarra wood for her structure she will be as stout as they come. I think Jarra is one of the few woods on the planet that doesn't float due to it's density.
I still keep in contact with my good mates in Perth and hopefully will be able to make a trip someday. Good luck with the build!

Matt, must be a way to slot the post into the interior design, fully exposed if possible, recessed if it has to be, contrasting old and new. It will come to you, look for the opportunities as you start on the internals.

Ok well I'm glad that all the poop has been cleaned up and we are all friends again.

Today saw me weld up and fit the flatbar to the keel, Despite setting fire to myself in the process. It is good to get it on. One step closer to rolling her back over and gives me a straight edge to epoxy fill to.

I also sanded the hull and applied some fairing filler to the recently laid glass mat.

All in all a pretty productive day.

Currently pissing down here in Perth so am glad semi cured epoxy isn't water soluble hahaha.

With a bit of luck this rain will go over night so I can get stuck into sanding the filler from today.

http://s781.photobucket.com/user/hendo78/media/IMG_1376.jpg.html

Sent from iPad using Trawler App

Last edited:
**** man - Full ahead - - > Ram Speed! This baby can take anything! Good on ya Matt!

I hope you have her out cruising the Swan soon. I spent my youth in Perth and graduated from high school in Perth. I have fond memories of taking our boat out every weekend on the Swan and Cockburn Sound. Some of my misspent youth was hoisting some Swan Lagers at Steve's in my Nedland neighborhood on the Swan. If that boat has Jarra wood for her structure she will be as stout as they come. I think Jarra is one of the few woods on the planet that doesn't float due to it's density. I still keep in contact with my good mates in Perth and hopefully will be able to make a trip someday. Good luck with the build!

Hi mate,
Yeah can't wait to be on the swanny and over to Rotto etc.

Her frame is seasoned 100x50 Jarrah that came out of a roof of an old house. It's like iron ay! Can't nail it. It's all bolted or bittern screwed.

Let me know If you're in town and come have a beer

Cheers
Matt

Hendo said,
Today saw me weld up and fit the flatbar to the keel, Despite setting fire to myself in the process. It is good to get it on. One step closer to rolling her back over and gives me a straight edge to epoxy fill to.
I also sanded the hull and applied some fairing filler to the recently laid glass mat.
All in all a pretty productive day.
Currently pissing down here in Perth so am glad semi cured epoxy isn't water soluble hahaha.
With a bit of luck this rain will go over night so I can get stuck into sanding the filler from today.

Mate, I'm sorry, but there is only one reply to that….It appears you really do have an Axe to grind... He..he..he..he..he

I never work so hard I start to burn. Hot stuff you are mate. Axe is going to be good for clim'in over log jams running downriver. Classy touch you put on it where the rudder attaches. Still like that rudder.

You said a-while back you were through sanding? Hmmmmm

I never work so hard I start to burn. Hot stuff you are mate. Axe is going to be good for clim'in over log jams running downriver. Classy touch you put on it where the rudder attaches. Still like that rudder. You said a-while back you were through sanding? Hmmmmm

Yeah I don't normally combust but it seems between wiping things down with thinners, grinding and welding, my shirt decided to get in on the action. All good tho. No injuries :-D

Thanks for your comment on the rudder mate. I like it too. It's pretty bloody solid and heavy. I've noticed on some boats the use of anodes on rudders. Is that necessary for mine do you think? or is that a how long is a piece of string question?

Yeah sanding .... Plenty of it to go. It's more of a love hate relationship I have with the task. It is what it is. I just grateful I have machines and not doing it by hand, which at some point will need to be done too

I've noticed on some boats the use of anodes on rudders. Is that necessary for mine do you think?

Often boats (mine included) have a "Divers Dream" (some times called "license plate") huge flat zinc bolted to stern and wired to all metal parts inside that connect to water... by any means of follow through. We also have shaft sincs, rudder sincs and trim tab zincs. I believe in plenty of anodes. Some say there can be too many, that a boat can be over zinced... and I agree, well sort of... but, IMHO one on each underwater metal part is good to have... along with Divers Dream on stern.

Good Luck!

Often boats (mine included) have a "Divers Dream" (some times called "license plate") huge flat zinc bolted to stern and wired to all metal parts inside that connect to water... by any means of follow through. We also have shaft sincs, rudder sincs and trim tab zincs. I believe in plenty of anodes. Some say there can be too many, that a boat can be over zinced... and I agree, well sort of... but, IMHO one on each underwater metal part is good to have... along with Divers Dream on stern. Good Luck!

Thank mate. If in doubt, zinc it out ay? :)

Thank mate. If in doubt, zinc it out ay? :)

Yo Matt - Hopefully "fastbottoms" (another Matt) will chime in here. He's basically the anode Guru for TF. Seen more boat bottoms and anodes than I'll ever even think of seeing. Find him for a PM - if ya like! - Cheers, Art

Okay well the fairing on the hull bottom has finished. I've put three wet on wet epoxy resin coats. Didn't need to do it as the epoxy filler is waterproof but did it anyway to seal everything in.

All that is left to do is give the bottom a light sanding to take the shine off, application of Jotun Pengard HB, wet rub it then apply 2 coats of Jotun sea guardian anti fouling. This all needs to be done before the 0730hrs on the 16th because that's when I booked the Franna's for, to ....... FLIP ..... HER ..... BACK ..... OVER ..... WOOOO HOOOOOO ..... almost 12 moths to the day. Actually 363 days to be precise.

I ve got 10 days off starting on the 18th so am all geared up to make an impact. Got set some goals or ill just sleep on the lounge for my holidays haha

Attachments

• IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1387.JPG
    IMG_1387.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Hendo,
Good luck on the flip-over. Looks scary to me. No transom and incomplete topsides don't offer much support for the gunn'ls. Perhaps you've got supports inside that I can't see.

The photo's are interesting in that in the top photo she looks to be fairly flat on the bottom w little deadrise but in the 3rd and 4th pics she looks deep. Re 806

Last edited:
Hendo, Good luck on the flip-over. Looks scary to me. No transom and incomplete topsides don't offer much support for the gunn'ls. Perhaps you've got supports inside that I can't see. The photo's are interesting in that in the top photo she looks to be fairly flat on the bottom w little deadrise but in the 3rd and 4th pics she looks deep. Re 806

Scary? Nah she'll be right mate. You should have seen her when we first flipped her over. She had no bow then mate!

Looks great ,good luck with the flip . You are one workin dude .

Eric,
Here is a link to a video I took of her getting flipped last time

Attachments

• IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 126

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom