ICW- Your Best Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, it was a generalization. I'm sorry if that offended anyone. It's true for 85% of the couples we've been in contact with - you surely know exactly how rare your relationship is if your wife is the one replacing Racor elements. And since just about every piece of advice in the thread was male oriented, I think my suggestion about getting the wife involved is the right one.

I think it's best to find the level of involvement that your partner is comfortable with and work from there. Every relationship is different.

I think it's best to find the level of involvement that your partner is comfortable with and work from there. Every relationship is different.

Certainly cannot argue with that.
One of our goals this season is to have my wife learn to operate in close quarters and dock the boat. Never know when she might HAVE to do it. For many reasons, it's just good policy.

Learning this and getting over the natural intimidation has been most rewarding for me. Heck, the first few times I went out I spent most of the time fretting about getting her back docked, safe and sound!

I was trained by the gent who sold us the boat, "in docking, you'll be in neutral about 80% of the time". Great advice and true, as far as I'm concerned.

It's very much like nervousness that a new golfer gets when approaching the 1st tee. Soon, one doesn't even think about it…much.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a generalization. I'm sorry if that offended anyone. It's true for 85% of the couples we've been in contact with - you surely know exactly how rare your relationship is if your wife is the one replacing Racor elements. And since just about every piece of advice in the thread was male oriented, I think my suggestion about getting the wife involved is the right one.

Wifey B:

Totally agree with you on the wifey involved but just think people fall victim to the stereotypes and assume. And if they're able to get spouse to embrace equally then things will be even better.

And we have captains training us and they're tough and one of the first things we were both forced to do was learn our way around fuel filters. Now we're neither one mechanical and not going to ever work on our own engines, but the biggest problem people encounter that strands them is fuel. Actually he likes getting his hands dirty more than I do. So he was the one pulling out the gloves first.

Also burden on wife. If you want to equally participate then learn and do. At least learn what you can in case you ever have to do things. What if hubby gets hurt or sick while you're out cruising? Plus it's fun. Fun fun fun. Did I say "Fun"? hehe. Seriously, fun to equally participate. And fun to just know you can do it. Right now only a 100 Ton Inland Master but well on my way to 200 Ton Near Coastal. I love the water and boating and I want to learn more and more and more.

Wifey B: Absolutely, but don't assume. Don't let the stereotypes victimize you. Nothing wrong with whatever works. I'll tell you one other thing that is gained by wife, or both for that matter, learning more. If conditions get rough, unexpected conditions you wouldn't normally go out in. Actually being at the helm, dealing with them, learning you can and the boat can handle it, is very reassuring. A lot less frightening than a passenger, which feels a bit helpless. A lot of wives over the years after one bad crossing somewhere who have decided it's not for them. Maybe if they'd realized that while it was uncomfortable as all heck, they really weren't in danger or out of control.

I sure like 2-3 ft conditions like we have today. But having been at the helm and controlled the boat in worse conditions sure made me smile afterwards, knowing both my capabilities and the boats. First time we encountered them, we had the chance to dodge out of it but we chose with Captains to learn, still knowing we could quickly get to shore. I remember still at the end of that day how exhausted but how thrilled I was. We weren't ever exposed to danger but we sure learned how to handle rougher conditions with waves from various directions. And, no, it didn't make me foolhearty, just more comfortable with the "what if's."

Certainly cannot argue with that.
One of our goals this season is to have my wife learn to operate in close quarters and dock the boat. Never know when she might HAVE to do it. For many reasons, it's just good policy.

My wife and I have given seminars on Medical Emergencies Onboard for the last 5-6 year at various rendezvous, shows, etc. We're both EMTs and have been on hundreds of ambulance calls, many involving boats in our coast town. The ability for your wife to keep your boat operating safely while difficult situations are potentially happening might very make the difference in whether you live or die. It's not an exaggeration - there was just a recent event of a guy suffering a stroke and his wife was unable to take the boat out of autopilot. Operating all parts of boat movement are critically important.

You didn't offend me. I drive the boat and check the oil. My wife is responsible for everything else. She even checks my wallet occasionally to make sure I have a few bucks. I figure I've got a pretty good deal :D

I'm not allowed to play with the cheque book .... last time I was, I bought a boat.

Last edited:
We have gotten fresh shrimp, right off the boats in Georgetown, SC, on every trip up and down the AICW. We anchor, launch the dinghy, buy shrimp and get out of Dodge as the Admiral can't stand the smell of the paper mill.

My wife and I have given seminars on Medical Emergencies Onboard for the last 5-6 year at various rendezvous, shows, etc. We're both EMTs and have been on hundreds of ambulance calls, many involving boats in our coast town. The ability for your wife to keep your boat operating safely while difficult situations are potentially happening might very make the difference in whether you live or die. It's not an exaggeration - there was just a recent event of a guy suffering a stroke and his wife was unable to take the boat out of autopilot. Operating all parts of boat movement are critically important.

That is a scary situation. Yet, many times people take boats out single handed. Still, being there and being helpless would be terrifying. Prior to living on the coast and boating offshore, neither of us had ever taken any first aid courses even, no CPR, nothing. But we have since, including taking "Medical First Aid, then a 3 day course, "Medical First Aid Provider" and we are going to take this month the 7 day course, "Medical Person in Charge." It is probably more than necessary, but it only takes one medical emergency when you're hours from any hospital or professional medical care to make it worthwhile. It's like an insurance policy you hope you never need to use. When we decided to make boating such a large part of our lives, we decided it was time to learn things like this. Learning how to handle a fire is on the agenda too.

At the very least train a person in just basically knowing how to engage the engines, steer, and to use the radio and know who to contact.

We were use to being in a car or home, EMT's quickly available, roadside assistance if you had problems with the car, could get out and walk. Well, boating does mean some extra knowledge was needed. Hope we never need it.

Still, being there and being helpless would be terrifying.
I've got to add two points without hijacking the thread of this subject that's near to my heart.

1. It's not just terrifying. When something medically significant happens to one party onboard, life is on the line. But it might not just be the life of the person having the medical event. In too many situations, the actions of the remaining person(s) will put their own life at risk. In the previous example of the woman left unable to take the boat out of autopilot, her life was in significant danger even though she was not having the medical emergency.

2. In a real medical emergency, the healthy party will never be docking the boat. It takes too long. I've been on many calls where we jump onto a fire boat and zip to the boat-in-need at 30 knots to give treatment while underway. In many situations, waiting to dock the boat is a death sentence. Instead, make sure the training/experience is on keeping the boat safe and secure while underway - or sitting by in a safe way/anchoring or whatever else would allow help to come to you. Many partners feel very nervous about docking a larger boat like the trawlers we drive. Give that time - it's much more important for all to know how to operate all underway systems to keep the boat in safe water.

...and take a CPR course.

I prefer small towns than big city/ports that have heavy commercial traffic. Georgetown SC, Darien GA, Fernandina FL are to me more favorable. Charleston is good for a couple day layover.

Another good reason for assistance towing insurance...while technically not covered by your policy...it would be a hard hearted franchise owner that wouldn't at least help with anchoring the vessel safely, or tow it to a facility or bring someone out to help dock it under your membership.

We are very fortunate in most of the continental US to have rescue facilities that can get to you reasonably quickly in many cases....yet I always teach that when on a boat...you are in the wilderness...don't expect quick help...

And when you really think of it...the greatest chance of needing assistance may be in conditions that stop or slow down rescuers considerably.

For many cruisers, the chance of dying from a medical emergency is probably higher than from a boating emergency.

I'll add one hint that I forgot earlier. If your cell phone does this, never mind.

We take the portable GPS from our car. Why? If you're in a strange town and are looking for a grocery store, restaurant etc., the car GPS has this information and will tell you how to get there and how far it is.

Last edited:
Really good advice here. Here I will repeat some items:
- Active Captain. Once I started using this I tossed the Skipper Bob books. Especially when you have two dogs cruising with you, you gotta have good pet friendly information.
- The people you meet. Because of one friend we played hopscotch with we stopped at Sunbury, which is in itself a great thing. Fresh Oysters and crab stew, beers and coozies as swag.
- When in doubt, don't go out. We crossed St. Andrews Sound on a day when we could have laid low, and it is the only thing I regret doing. Thank God nobody was hurt, only everything that wasn't screwed down on our boat was in a different place when we finished. Yes, much if it is a ditch or a river, but a few parts can get really shallow and really rough worse than you know. We followed the rule until we had to turn around and go home, then got "get-there-itis" but should have hung out in Fernandina for another day.

Thanks!

Yes, real gems from you all, and we are noting every word. Thank you!

BTW, I read something about posting placards. I know about the Waste Plan and disabling the septic overboard valve. Am I missing something else along this line?

Last edited:
Save Our Seas no plastic overboard posted.

Icw

I agree with Jeff on taking a CPR and Basic 1st Aid course, the Red Cross offers this in most areas. While not an EMT like Jeff and Karen, I have had the basic training and have lost count as to the number of times it has been used, from a restaurant to the side of the road.
On a lighter note, my wife and I attended one of Jeff and Karens presentations at a rendezvous and as they summarized "... if faced with a medical emergency on board, on land call 911, at sea call the CG...", Rosemary turned to me and said,"Let me get this straight, you suffer a medical emergency :lol:eek:n the boat and I'm supposed to call 911 before I call the yacht broker?" The folks seated around us broke up.

Why do you plan to bypass the Florida Keys by cutting through Okeechobee? If you do you'll miss one of the most fascinating segments of the entire journey. Of course there is the danger of liking it so much you'll say "screw Marco, I'm staying in the Keys." Good luck!

Save Our Seas no plastic overboard posted.
Yes, those cards are required on some boats but does anyone change their behavior because of a sign they posted themselves?

I don't throw plastic or trash overboard and I don't discharge oil or antifreeze overboard. Not because of a sign, but because I know I shouldn't pollute the waterway I am cruising in.

We're planning to go thru the Okeechobee Waterway because it is better protected, but your suggestion is intriguing.

As for the placards, I'd just like to be in compliance if/when boarded.

rclarke246--I'm guessing your draft is under 5'. If so, you can do the keys from Biscayne Bay/Key Largo on the inside if it's blowing, and via Hawke Channel on the outside if it's not. Plenty of good protection to duck into en route if the weather kicks up. You'll be in good VHF weather radio range the entire route to keep tabs on weather. And the time of year you're planning couldn't be more benign in terms of weather. When you're done with the Keys, you can island hop north through the Glades to Marco. My tip is DO NOT miss the Keys. They'll spoil you. The only thing slightly better might be to take the 5-6 hour dash across the Stream to Bimini and the other 799 Bahamas. Whichever you choose, Bon Voyage!

The Keys and Biscayne Bay are great. To visit Key West by boat is a special thing. Marco Island is only about 100 miles from Marathon or Key West with the Dry Tortugas only a little more distant. One of the beauties of being at Marco is having Naples and the Thousand Islands in your local cruising area. Then from Little Shark River a long days run to the Keys. About 25 miles North to San Carlos Bay you can go into Ft. Myers Beach or enter the GICW for the best of SW Florida cruising. There should be plenty of time for all.

If your are posting all those placards maybe you should also have a copy of Colregs.

Dave

We crossed the Lake to Ft Myers; turned left, went to Marco, 'Glades, then Marathon. Only caution; watch the Gulf weather forecast; wind vs tide. We got quite a drubbing while enroute after 2 hours of smooth cruising. Marco Inlet was quite a moment. The run from Marco to Little Shark River, then to Boot Key was like glass. Enjoy the adventure

If you enjoy muddy, shallow water with shifting shoals and hours of boredom in narrow channels, I'd recommend that you not miss Okeechobee. If you can't stand the sight of multi-colored coral reefs populated by rainbows of exotic tropical fishes swimming in crystalline water, stay away from the Keys. If you hate white sand beaches dotted with swaying coconut palms and quaint mangrove islands, avoid the Keys like the plague. Whichever you choose, bon voyage!

you will have to open many bridges on your trip.remember you are the captain of your vessel..do not allow the bridge tenders to draw you up too close to the bridge where you do not have room to maneuver safely. also if other boats are in a big rush for the bridge let them go past you. You will all go tru at the same time anyhow

remember you are the captain of your vessel..do not allow the bridge tenders to draw you up too close to the bridge where you do not have room to maneuver safely.

This is very good advice. A boat was severely damaged at the Little River Swing bridge this weekend because strong current caused them to make a maneuver too close to the edge of the rock lined channel there. Never anticipate that a bridge tender will open a bridge when you want it (even if it's on demand) and always consider current as you're approaching bridges. You are in command.

And from experience, if you have a disagreement with a bridge tender, don't argue with the bridge tender. Be polite. Then pick up a cell phone and call the local Coast Guard station for advice and assistance. If a bridge is closed for an extended period, there needs to be a LNM published about it or continuous CG radio alerts. We've had two instances where a bridge tender was very coy about telling us that the bridge couldn't open - asking a question like, "we'd like to keep the bridge closed for 90 minutes - do you understand?" Most people will just agree. We came up on three boats waiting in that situation hearing the radio exchange 20 minutes prior. When I requested an opening, I politely refused to "understand" and re-requested the opening. The bridge tender told me that we would have to wait. One CG call and the bridge opened 5 minutes later.

Don't know how I missed this thread, see it originated when I was in internet no-man's land. But a few quick reactions:

1) I strogly disagree with cutting across the Okeechobee when time is not a factor. You miss some of, if not most of, the best cruising of the whole journey that way. Doing urban SE Florida is fun the first or second time, as is the entire length of the Keys, particularly if you like marinas.

2) The northern half of North Carolina is much more fun if you skip the ICW and detour into Manteo and Ocracoke (especially Ocracoke). So much nicer than the Alligator River, Pungo, Goose Creek et al.

3) not sure if the OP has a dinghy and is totally a "no anchor" vessel, but if you like unspoiled beaches, at least one night anchored out at Cape Lookout to enjoy the best beaches in the eastern USA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom