On getting "waked" / vandalism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just because some people don't answer the radio doesn't mean you should give up on all boaters you want to pass. Courtesy and rules of the road are there for a reason.

Yep, absolutely.

But some wake-sensitive folks could certainly make things much easier on themselves sometimes...

-Chris

People have been complaining about boat wakes since the second boat was built. The Internet just made it easier.

I'll admit to using the VHF to question somebody's intelligence or operating skills and I've suggested to a few that they perform a very difficult sex act on themselves. It may make me feel better but there's nothing you can do to change other people's behavior unless the government gives you the authority to do so.

I like the suggestion above to act erratically so that the boat about to pass you will slow down and maybe contact you on the VHF. It's a little risky but done right it may work.

I think someone posted earlier back on page one that the stand on vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed.....

I should have thought to mention earlier, I've had some success with the hailer, especially when approaching boats from their stern... who often have all their radio capability buried down below someplace like at a nav desk. Works at least to get some attention... and then any subsequent negotiation goes however it goes. Usually reasonably well.

Indeed; maintain course and speed. In lieu of discussion, that's at least better than other possibilities.

-Chris

I think someone posted earlier back on page one that the stand on vessel is supposed to maintain course and speed.....

Well yes, but that's only when the two boats are close enough that they can assume they will be passing each other.

We could call the guys inflicting wake on others "wakers". I`d add an "n" to the word.

So far, I've just "dealt with it." I'm not quick-witted enough to do otherwise.

Maybe it is time to use more horn. My favorite is a four-second (prolonged) blast saying: HERE AM I!, although in passing situations, many short toots (what's up with you?) might be appropriate.

Earlier this year there was a boat heading straight at me in San Pablo Bay. Sounded two shorts indicating I'd turn to port (earlier there was a string of boats passing by my starboard, likely a yacht-club outing). No aural response, but the boat turned to its port.

Most all the time, boats indicate their intentions by their headings/maneuvers (photo is more recent, not related to the above paragraph):

img_222801_0_f94afedb16ae8ca05e70d22888888f31.jpg

Last edited:
not sure a prolonged would confuse people or not...I use the "danger/doubt" signal of 5 or more short blasts...
here's a refresher from the Navrules...

(d) When vessels in sight of one another are approaching each other and from any cause either vessel fails to understand the intentions or actions of the other, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken by the other to avoid collision, the vessel in doubt shall immediately indicate such doubt by giving at least five short and rapid blasts on the whistle. [Such | This] signal may be supplemented by at least five short and rapid flashes.
(e) A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall sound one prolonged blast. Such signal shall be answered with a prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction.

(f) If whistles are fitted on a vessel at a distance apart of more than 100 meters, one whistle only shall be used for giving maneuvering and warning signals.

(g) When a power-driven vessel is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one prolonged blast.

(h) A vessel that reaches agreement with another vessel in a head-on, crossing, or overtaking situation, as for example, by using the radiotelephone as prescribed by the Vessel Bridge-to-Bridge Radiotelephone Act (85 Stat. 164; 33 U.S.C. 1201 et seq.), is not obliged to sound the whistle signals prescribed by this Rule, but may do so. If agreement is not reached, then whistle signals shall be exchanged in a timely manner and shall prevail.

Haven't used all the buttons yet (after almost three years).

img_222811_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom