ICW- Your Best Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rclarke246

Vessel Name
Lady Di
Vessel Make
2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hello,

We are planing our voyage from Annapolis to Marco Island, FL, (via Okeechobee waterway) this fall of 2014.

Here is a little background and some of our ideas that may help explain our situation:
I had some limited experience on the ICW 20 years ago, but it was in a go-fast boat. I do have previous and recent formal training in piloting & seamanship.
My 1st Mate (aka: 1st and last wife) only has the 130 hours of boating we have experienced together on our boat. We do not presently belong to a yacht club.

We know and plan to set no hard deadlines and are comfortable with "taking as long as it takes" to really savor the trip. Yes, we want to stop and smell the roses. We plan to avoid bad weather as we can.
We prefer marinas to anchoring and aren't too worried about the added expense, even though I'll gladly save a buck whenever possible. We certainly have anchored out overnight which we greatly enjoyed.

So, here's our very broad question:

With all of the vast experience that you "old salts" possess, what would be the 3 or 4 BEST TIPS that you can offer?

Topics may include:
Navigation, shoaling, hazards, passing / overtaking techniques (Yes, I read the fasinating TF thread), weather, "can't miss" stops, marinas, restaurants, great anchorages, security warnings & other cautions, equipment & supplies, iPad / iPhone apps, fueling, locks & bridges, publications, socializing, VHS, AIS, radar,
your mistakes, your successes, or anything else that would be at the top of your lists.

Obviously, we're taking this very seriously while still anticipating the fun!
Thank you in advance for your insight!

My ICW tips - There are several good guides to cruising the ICW. Some go into great detail, others are just lists of marinas or anchorages. There is also a DVD set. Buy several and study them. Also join Active Captain and look at the information and reviews. Here's another good source: Cruiser's Net

I'm assuming you have a good chart plotter and depth sounder. Make sure you have the charts for the areas you will be cruising.

We will be going the other way from Charleston, SC to the Chesapeake Bay this spring if everything goes according to plan.

Have made the trip several dozen times and have much of it commited to memory.

Have done it by trawler last 2 winters taking 4 months between Ft Piece and NJ (to from over that time).

If inexperienced the best tips are to have towing insurance, a thorough check out of propulsion equipment,...you know all the typical jibberish most people and guides are going to feed you.

As far as "not to miss stops"...lots will chime in and give you great info...others's will try to convince you of their preferences.

You have a wonderful world unfolding before you. You get to go places I-95 can only dream about if you travel that way.

If you are a military buff...there are gteat stops...if just history...then those and others. If you love wildlife...there are great parks with displays and tours along the way.

Much to much to even try here...if you like...send a PM and we'll trade e-mails to phone numbers and if you like I can lay out quite a bit...but much to much to type...and I'm only one tiny reference...but may be ableto give you a decent strawman to which you can add/build form other and other sites.

The basics could easily cover 2-3 hours and some nice cold beers...once specifics are determined..another 3-4 could sew up a nice trip. If you have someone nearby that has done the trip multiple times...well worth the afternoon to sit down with them if they are the type for remembering details and have a breadth of experience and knowledge.

But first and foremost...get familiar with these and learn to use them on the fly...

https://activecaptain.com/X.php

Waterway Guide | waterwayguide.com

Cruiser's Net

ps..will probably be stopping in Herrington Harbor in a couple weeks if you would like to stop by to shoot the ....

Last edited:
Psneeld said it all, and said it very well. There is an old saying about "you cannot jump into the same river twice," and by the same token you cannot travel the same ICW twice. Low spots will change, marinas will change, bridge schedules will change, etc. But it is a great trip, and (although others may disagree, I suppose) once you get down to about North Carolina, and then all the way to below Jacksonville, Florida, it is just plain magic. No other word for it. IMHO.

Just prior to any departure date you may want to check with the Army Corps of Engineers as to the depths within the Okeechobee Waterway. There are times that you may have trouble going through there in a canoe. Marathon in the Conch Republic is not a bad spot if you divert and go around.

Two broad tips: Prepare your boat and equipment carefully prior to departure. Included in this is the tip to be sure you understand your boats systems. Secondly, prepare your cruise, in the long term and short term. Prior to each day, review and plan your day, keep a back up plan at the ready.

Have fun, its a great trip.

John

............ Secondly, prepare your cruise, in the long term and short term. Prior to each day, review and plan your day, keep a back up plan at the ready.

It's been said that one of the most dangerous things you can have on a boat is a schedule. While I might have a general idea of where I will end up each day, as a practical matter,, somewhere between noon and 3:00 or so I'll start to decide where we will actually end up. And of course, that affects where we end up the next day.

Keep in mind we are cruising for pleasure so it doesn't matter what day we get to a particular destination. Some folks won't have this freedom.

When in doubt slow down. Better to kiss the bottom slowly than run up on a slightly higher bottom you could have avoided had you moved over a few feet. There are only a couple of places where having the tide really matters but we draw 5'6" so that may not be an issue for you.

Remember that when transiting a bridge the boats with the tide have the right of way. We were waiting for two sailboats to come at us under the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine and a trawler behind us got impatient and pulled around us and almost clobbered them. He apparently wasn't listening to the radio when I confirmed with the bridge tender that I should wait for them.

And that brings me to item #3, when in doubt get on the radio and ask - be it a tug and barge, a bridge tender, or a fellow recreational boater.

Dave

Just remember if travelling during the "busy season" of the North/South exodus....prime marinas (which the PO did mention they preferred) sometimes fill up fast...having a good idea to where and when you want to be is a good idea so you can call ahead for reservations. Even if not during prime...sometimes boat clubs or rendezvous call fill up your marina of choice.

So having a schedule is not a bad thing and neither is living by it...Just don't DIE by it...:D

Almost no matter how bad the weather gets...the ICW isn't much more than uncomfortable...not dangerous except for a few stretches of bad water and others that you must cross but rather quickly. For those you just have to make a good judgement call.

As for travelling with a dangerous boat...again..you have to even know the danger exists and then see where you can get it fixed...usually something that will interrupt a schedule for anyone and not hard to figure out.

So trip planning as Sortie suggested is a good idea...just have the backup plan as he suggested....the ICW just isn't much to worry about if you have towing insurance, a credit card and capable of reasoned thinking.

The best part...we are all here to help as many have gotten lot's of good advice along their trips to keep them going and having fun!!:thumb:

My I recommend a very entertaining and informative video series on Youtube, which was produced by a fellow member and former Praire 29' owner? Lookup on Youtube the user "Flagold" and check out his ICW series of videos. I believe they are titled "Great Loop Trawler Videos" and there are 10+. You can follow his trek from Jacksonville through the Okeechobee waterways. Lots of good informaton that can help you.

Most everything covered, only a couple explicit additions:

- Lay in a good supply of appropriate spares

- Learn passing technique

And then I'll recommend you DO stay out on the hook occasionally when suitable anchorages permit.

I found the prime rib good, but over-rated. All those cruising guides will explain, if that's semaphore just now.

:)

-Chris

Two words of advice as the advice given already has been great....

1-When in doubt, don't? You don't have to....do anything at anytime. You can afford to be conservative. If you have doubts about today being a good day to move on, then just stay where you are. Doubts about the tide being too low to move into a marina, then just relax and wait. Yes, if it's foggy and rainy you can use radar and move on, but why? Is there some reason to spend the day being uncomfortable? I doubt it.

2-Enjoy. Each and every area. Each and every port. Read of what others have enjoyed. Use trip advisor. Check out cruising guides for fun things to do. Get out and walk. Take a taxi to town. Take a bus across town. We actually have a list of things we'd like to do in all the ports along the way, even some we might not get on this trip. Typical day stopped, we may get three in, leave others for next time. Get weathered in, we've never run out of things to do and enjoy. Sometimes it's just walk around the old downtown and the unique shops. Meeting the local people. Last time we were delayed in Apalachicola we were blessed with the opportunity to meet so many local artists and artisans and see their studios, see where they created. Get the stories behind their art and how they even got inspired and into it. The other day we decided not to tackle the gulf and enjoyed cruising the bay in our tender. Today, we've just been using a relaxing day to catch up on some other things we need to while enjoying one of our favorite marinas. There is something new to enjoy and experience at every turn. Even if you are delayed a week sometime for a repair, then use that week to go a little deeper into what makes that community special and unique.

Which prime rib?

:)

I should have made it "techniques" (plural).

-Chris

Geez, you guys are great! Just what we need.

Another question, should we put off until mid-summer updating our Raymarine GPS charts, paper charts, and Skipper Bob?

Thinking the later we wait the better chance we have of getting current information?

Please keep these great tips coming!

Thank You All!

The biggest joke along the ICW is restaurants....all depends on your tastes...

I'm just pissed my 4 months coincide with the closed shrimping season.

How can you travel over 3000 miles of Atlantic seaboard and barely be able to find a single fresh shrimp.

If it weren't for the occasional guy selling out of the back of pickups...all I'd ever see was grocery store shrimp.

If it weren't for the occasional guy selling out of the back of pickups...all I'd ever see was grocery store shrimp.
We too are shrimp chasers and you're right about the back of a pickup. I was really surprised at the lack of fresh fish markets all the way down. Everything must get wholesaled out. Our town dock wholesales to locals but we do have one market next to the dock for retail of everything brought in on local boats plus a selection the shipping company brings up the coast bound for the Fulton Fish Market.

Dave

We too are shrimp chasers and you're right about the back of a pickup. I was really surprised at the lack of fresh fish markets all the way down. Everything must get wholesaled out. Our town dock wholesales to locals but we do have one market next to the dock for retail of everything brought in on local boats plus a selection the shipping company brings up the coast bound for the Fulton Fish Market.

Dave

Actually found the little out of the way fish markets...still no shrimp..

Even went to Sunbury Crab just south of Savannah...guess what wasn't on the menu for my crab lovin' girlfriend from Baltimore!!!!!!!!!! The crabs were in hiding according to the owner....

Holy seafood Batman!!!! Must be a conspiracy!!!!:eek::D:D

......... Even went to Sunbury Crab just south of Savannah...guess what wasn't on the menu for my crab lovin' girlfriend from Baltimore!!!!!!!!!! The crabs were in hiding according to the owner....
You can't get blue crabs in restaurants in Charleston. Even at the Crab House or Crab Shack. I've seen a picture of a bushel of blue crabs on the Crab Shack menu cover but they are not on the menu.

You can buy all you want at a seafood store though. Cook them yourself.

On line restaurant reviews are pretty worthless. I suspect the employees write them themselves and write bad ones about the competition.

We start our 12th year next week. The information and suggestions you've gotten already have been excellent. But here are a couple extra to help create a happy environment for doing more than just a delivery of the boat to Marco Island:

- Get your wife involved with the destination planning. Typically, you'll be the one figuring out how to get from point A to point B. Let her decide what A and B are. It'll make the trip more enjoyable for both of you.

- Never give up an opportunity to meet and hang out with other boaters. It's not about the sunsets, anchorages, or ICW. It's about the people. The ones who connect with lots of other boaters last a long time. The ones who don't often sell their boats sooner.

- As you've heard and will hear many times, never have a schedule. But it goes deeper than that. If the weather is getting worse, stay put. If you like a place, stay longer - weekly and monthly slips are way less expensive than daily transient rates.

It's all a wonderful experience. Just make sure it's all fun and not a hard-moving delivery.

- Get your wife involved with the destination planning. Typically, you'll be the one figuring out how to get from point A to point B. Let her decide what A and B are. It'll make the trip more enjoyable for both of you.

Jeff, Was just thing the same thing about involving my wife! "Can't miss!", Chief Listener!

PS: I want to get the Navionics app but since inavx interfaces with AC I'll probably be buying that. Agree?

ICW trip was the best 4.5 months we have ever had together; Baltimore to Marathon & back. 1. Know your boat & systems. 2. Have a plan, but not necessarily a schedule. 3. Be flexible. Use all your stuff; charts, guides, Active Captain, fellow boaters, etc. 4. There is some work involved; share with the crew, and above all, enjoy the trip!

Should be a great trip... please post your own "tips" as you journey south.. you and the 1st mate will also be old salts long before this trip is complete...

My best tip would be to take your time. There are LOTS of places that are just a few hours apart. Especially in the NC/SC area. Belhaven, Oriental, New Bern, Morehead City, Beaufort (NC), Cape Lookout, Swansboro, Topsail Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Southport, Bald Head Island... The list goes on and on. When you get here, spend some time at all of them. Don't skip past them because you could steam further that day if you skip one. At the VERY least, plan to do half one way and half the other, because THIS area in particular, is rich with history and amazing people and places.

Jeff overlooked a second and most important point in his "people" advice (which is spot on). But while you are making great boating friends along the way, THEY are THE ONES that will have ALL the best info and all the low-down on where to go and what to do in the ports that lie ahead. Collect it!! :)

Last edited:
If you are an anchor out cruiser ,from as far north as Maine to Daytona Beach it is possible to avoid marinas.

There are many places that are worth the bother and expense , like Charlston, always worth a visit.

I lived aboard for almost 23 years , so to me its not a vacation day unless I am out of the throng.

YRMV,

I'll give you tips that nobody has posted yet:

You'll need a way to pay bills. For me online banking and a Verizon Hot Spot for Internet connection works. For many bills you can read them online. Utilities may offer a level payment plan so your bill is the same each month. Or you can just pay extra and they will credit your account.

You'll need someone to watch over your house bring in mail and packages, and mow the lawn. A timer on some lights may make people think someone is home.

If you post your progress on Facebook or other social media, you are telling the world that nobody is home at your house and won't be for weeks. Think about it.

Wifey B: Close but no prize. Sorry, AC and I do adore you and your product. But, it's still made to sound like the stereotype of hubby over wife in being the lead, of Captain and Admiral. Even better if you're like we are, both equally share the passion for boating. We figure it out together. We both went to Maritime school and have gotten Captain's licenses. We both look at the how and the wherefore. We both lay in bed pulling up things we'd like to see along the way on our tablets and talking about marinas. Yes, like all relationships we both have those areas in which we may take the lead but when it comes to our boating, we both share the love in every way. Selecting boats, the compromises there, both and equal. Tenders, both and equal. Taking the helm, both and equal. Equal in meal decisions and in preparation although different in what we might prepare. We are stereotypical in his love for grilling and me doing the salads or fancy dishes. Equal in which of us calls the bridge tender or the dock master.

The desire to be on the water is one we've shared for years. When we lived on an inland lake, either of us was equally likely to want to hit the water for a couple of hours after a tough day at work. Now I was the one more likely to invite friends to join us on a Saturday, simply because I'm more outgoing. But I hope for each of you the passion is shared. It may surprise you if you fully open up to that. Don't think stereotypes and let that limit you. Heck, who knows, she might be the one who cleans the Racor underway.

Besides, maybe you're not even a male and female. Yes, two girls or two dudes can enjoy boating. Whether in a relationship or just friends. Right now our two best friends, both girls, are going to Maritime school and planning on a boat, mostly for when we're not around, as they still work. Now they aren't a couple as such, but like to spend time together on weekends. And the fact there won't be a dude along isn't going to slow them down one bit. I know two older guys who spend most of their time together on a trawler. They both lost their wives to illness. The four of them were cruising buddies. Both thought those days were over when they lost their spouses but instead it makes them even feel closer to their lost ones.

So just a reminder, boating is for everyone. And what AC said about getting your wife involved, just change that a little to sharing the passion. Let the roles of each just happen. Don't just bring her in on the decisions. Let her be an equal part from the offset. Then when you go shopping to upgrade your boat, you might be surprised that she's the one who says, "I don't like the layout and space of this engine room."

Boating is something that can be loved by those of all ages, irrespective of sex, doesn't matter where you're from. Really, no boundaries.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom