Mast rigging for 1980 Puget trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ESCON III

I am in need of suggestions about rigging my mast for a sail. Some have suggested using mast rings on the mast; however, in searching the internet I am having difficulty in finding mast rings large enough for her mast. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to rig her for a sail
Thanks,
ESCON III

The rings are called hoops. Saw up PVC pipe of the appropriate (loose on the mast) size to make hoops. Sand all edges of the hoops after sawing. Or use rope lacing.

saillacing.jpg

One easy and relatively inexpensive solution would be to attach external sail track to the mast. Then have your sailmaker construct your sail with sail slides to fit the track. You can leave it loose-footed since it will only be a steadying sail at best on a trawler. That way you won't have to install track on the boom, and you will only have half the materials and a little less labor on the sail.

No boom, no problem as can be seen on Mark's Carquinez Coot.

You have lot's of options. I'll bet a short visit to a local sailmaker will be worth your time.

Good luck with your project.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

Roller furling is the easiest approach. Here shown for the jib; same idea works with the main.

img_221639_0_94810d22dce042482a826a50e932d0e4.jpg

Here is a shot of the traveler used for controlling the main.

img_221639_1_cdf47509c3595c54425720305f3663dd.jpg

I suspect the day of easily available rings are gone. A lot of the old builders made their own fittings and that style of sail securing is not seen often. I've seen it once or twice but on older boats or home builds trying to look old.

Mast rings could be made by a metal, steel, fabricator.

Mast Hoops are still commercially available. Here are a couple of sources:

Mast Hoops and Wooden Hardware Prices from Pert Lowell Co., Inc.

MAST HOOPS | Traditional & Modern Yacht Rigging Services

Or, you can make them yourself with the instructions here:

Mike Goodwin tells how to make wood mast hoops.

One thing to keep in mind if you use hoops is that the mast must be smooth and clear of any attachments of any kind where the rings slide up and down the mast. If you have any external mast wiring you will not be able to use hoops.

Larry
M/V Boomarang

If it's a steadying sail...most of your worries are for naught....

The sail should be out of material that is stiff as a board but if not...not a big deal...

The sail is supposed to be rigged as flat as a board and pulled tight as it can be. So all you need is the 3 attachment points in the corners and it pulled as tight and flat as you can. Many just tack down the lower 2 corners and use the block and tackle holding the boom end to pull up the 3rd corner tight.

Hoops will have difficulty passing over mast steps and won't get past any spreader. Also, hoops can't help but rub against the mast and will wear off any finish. Hoops are the worse option. Besides, in most trawler situations, three-point attachment (at each point of the triangle) should be sufficient.

Regardless, three-point attachment works for me.

img_223085_0_5d4a90db0866c1c4f6a136c9ef4ed39e.jpg

Last edited:
If it's a steadying sail...most of your worries are for naught....

The sail should be out of material that is stiff as a board but if not...not a big deal...

That's if you want no supplement to the engine(s).

img_223086_0_9d1f83b7cb2e753e5827d628775d4994.jpg

Last edited:
If it's truly just a steadying sail and you want it to do it's job in light wind conditions ....it need to be as stiff and tight as possible...at least that's my understanding as it is acting as a flat plate and not trying to draw.

Back
Top Bottom