Windshield wipers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithmilton

Veteran Member
Three blades on each of 3 windows in my old ocean alexander.......does each usually have an individual motor or are they harnessed to one?

Three blades on each of 3 windows in my old ocean alexander.......does each usually have an individual motor or are they harnessed to one?

Usually each window has its own complete wiper system; sometimes the action is coordinated electronically and sometimes not. The latter apparently can be quite annoying for some folks.

Agree with Conrad
you will have either Exalto Hepworth or possibly DOGA brand wipers; good guys in the business are IMTRA in the States, great guys who will help a lot.
The company that does the controllers to sync up the blades like you have in a car is an Italian company PINE Control SRL - they make interesting stuff.

Keith: I have an OA launched 1985...3 wipers, one per fwd window all were separate motors and all were inoperative when I bought the boat. I pulled them out when I did a 12month re-fit in 2009. Bought a single motor and a parallax arm with washer fittings plus control box from IMTRA, intending to reinstate over centre window only....am yet to get around to fitting it (not an easy job on my OA at any rate). Key to success is getting the shaft length right. If yours are still installed with intact shafts (mine had been cut off and a disc placed over) you should be able to measure the shaft length , which will make ordering easy. I also recommend the IMTRA folks: website is excellent and has a wiper blade calculator. They will also run the calcs for you if you send them window dimensions.

One tip in replacing wiper setups is to install the of/on/park switch within easy reach of the seated helmsperson.

Back
Top Bottom