Manatee Owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kemancha

Hi,

I'm very interested in learning more about the Manatee.* I've been sailing for over 20 years and I believe the Manatee may be what I'm looking for.*

Kemancha wrote:

Hi,

I'm very interested in learning more about the Manatee.* I've been sailing for over 20 years and I believe the Manatee may be what I'm looking for.
Hi Kemancha:

I also decided on a Manatee after some years of study. *Pretty much any Manatee would be worth having, but if you're looking now, be aware that these are fully cored hulls. *Do a good survey and focus on the bottom. *These hulls blister like most other hulls of that era, but a good peal and re-glass job could run 20 grand on a boat with deep blisters. *The Manatee may not be the sleekest and fastest boat around, but it is hard to beat it for economy, space and loop-ability. *Kept in good condition, it should, at the very least, hold its value. *It vessel has earned its "cult" status. *My two cents.

Hi Kemancha,

I'm just new to this site*and spied the Krogen forum right away. As recent Manatee owners (July 2009),*we can't say enough about the boat. We love it. We don't live aboard, but the past 2 owners have accumulated 6 years of live aboad time on her. It's been to Alaska twice and around Vancouver Island. It's an extremely comfortable boat that sips fuel and carries enough water to last us more than 2 weeks without conservation. We've found it to be an exceptional sea boat, particularly in following seas. It always attracts alot of attention in the anchorages as well because they're not common in my part of the world. I'm beginning to think that we have the only Canadian registered Manatee. As with any boat purchase, have a good surveyor, but if it's a small trawler your looking for, you'd be hard pressed to find anything more comfortable or economical*than the Manatee. We looked at a lot of boats, but knew within 10 minutes of seeing this we would buy it if it checked out. Good luck with your search.

-- Edited by DCBD on Friday 24th of December 2010 01:50:00 AM

DCBD,Hi,
We have the manatee in Bft. SC. *did you import your manatee into Canada or was it already there? *Did you have to pay the extreme high duty? We have thought of taking it to Ontario? We live aboard and find it very comfortable a perfect one bedroom condo w/
36+36+14=86' of prime waterfront you can move anywhere.

once a sailor wrote:

DCBD,
Hi,
We have the manatee in Bft. SC. *did you import your manatee into Canada or was it already there? *Did you have to pay the extreme high duty? We have thought of taking it to Ontario? We live aboard and find it very comfortable a perfect one bedroom condo w/
36+36+14=86' of prime waterfront you can move anywhere.
Yes, I imported the boat into Canada. I bought it in Seattle. Considering other Manatees I've seen*I think I got a good deal, so*I didn't mind paying the taxes. Not only that, my wife fell in*love the boat, so*I think she would have shot me if I didn't buy it (now everybody knows who wears the pants in my family). We spend quite a bit of time just staying on the boat and also*find it to be a very comfortable home away from home.

DCBD wrote:Not only that, my wife fell in*love the boat, so*I think she would have shot me if I didn't buy it (now everybody knows who wears the pants in my family).

There will be none of that around here. *If my Admiral (wife) gets out of line, I'd just whip this skirt off and learn her a thing or two about wearing pants. *That is, of course, provided she lets me have the pants long enough for a demonstration. *Neither of us can imagine a better boat per cubic foot than our Manatee.

healhustler wrote:

DCBD wrote:Not only that, my wife fell in*love the boat, so*I think she would have shot me if I didn't buy it (now everybody knows who wears the pants in my family).

There will be none of that around here. *If my Admiral (wife) gets out of line, I'd just whip this skirt off and learn her a thing or two about wearing pants. *That is, of course, provided she lets me have the pants long enough for a demonstration. *Neither of us can imagine a better boat per cubic foot than our Manatee.

He He, I suspect we're all in the same boat.

Kemancha: *Haven't heard anything about your search for a Manatee. *Any success out there?

Hi Kemancha,

We have owned our 1987 Krogen Manatee for five years. We think it to be the perfect boat having sailed for 25 years (Cape Dory 25 and 28) and lived aboard a Monk 36 for four years while completing the "Loop". The Manatee hull design really surprised us as to how well it tracks, we have to double check the auto-pilot to see if it is on. Also the 100 hp Volvo give us a better top speed than the Monk while sipping fuel. We found our Manatee in Ft. Myers after searching for two years but it was worth the wait.

Bill

Hi-D-Ho

KK3669

Hey Bill......great to see another Manatee owner aboard Trawler Forum. Welcome.

ashamed.gif
Hello Tex,

Glad to be here with all the other Krogen and Manatee owners.

Great web site and information source.

Bill

I'm so glad I've happened upon this forum!

My wife and I have gone through all the steps here in Canada towards being liveaboards.* We've sold our home, have downsized and sold off the leftovers.* While saving our coin we've been researching Trawlers galore with of course the Kadey 42 ending up at the top of the list of the many reviewed.

Then pops up the Manatee to mess with our heads with it's*simply awsome layout.* Our intention is to head into and throughout the Caribbean, not wanting to be coastal cruisers.* We absolutely love the design of the Manatee for the purpose of living and it's economics, despite it's odd exterior appearance.

Here's our problem that I hope some of you have been able to experience:* It's safety.*

The 42's full displacement with an 85 degree self-righting ability gives us that secure feeling in rough seas we may encounter.*Is the Manatee strictly a coastal boat, or could it handle some heavy seas?* For example, would it be able to make the run from say, Florida to Cozumel, or*the Cayman Islands over to Panama, or the Turneffe in Belize etc?

If any of you have guidance with the Manatee's seaworthiness, we would so very much appreciate it!* It just might help us switch our choice.

Dan

Dan, have you found the Krogen Forum? There are 100s more Krogens there*& a wealth of knowledge.* It's well worth the annual dues.

http://krogencruisers.net/dolphin/forums.php

From our conversations with one Manatee owner who has cross the seas, it has been done but was also very unpleasant in all but the best conditions. The boat was designed as a coastal cruiser.

We also fell in love with the Manatee's layout & chose it over a 42. Last month we happened upon a 42 widebody in Ft Myers, with only a single side deck & its layout was much more spacious that the standard 42. That would be our next boat if we ever chose to do the Caribbean beyond the Bahamas.

-- Edited by HeyJude on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 09:34:40 PM

-- Edited by HeyJude on Tuesday 27th of March 2012 09:35:43 PM

Thank you Judy,

That's what I was afraid of.* I had looked at it's hull design through various articles and figured as much.* I was just having this faint glimmer of hope that it was possible to have great liveaboard space and seaworthiness.

I will look through the link you've provided...and again...Thank You!!

Dan

I have to second that, Dan. When bringing our Manatee down from Daytona, we went outside at Jupiter Inlet and into a 5-6 ft. confused chop according to the experienced Captain aboard. While the boat didn't seem to suffer, I did. My legs were exhausted in about an hour from just adjusting my balance at the helm. Once we were a couple of miles out to sea, it settled down into 4 ft. rollers all the way back to Miami and no problem. Another current Manatee owner on the Krogen site who recently downgraded from a Krogen 48 Whaleback turned back two days in a row while trying to reach the Bahamas with other groups. Granted, it really turned rough out there in those days, but its design was still never meant to be anything but a coastal cruiser. Many of them do jaunts to the Bahamas regularly and love its Gunk Holing capability, but I don't know of any that have been beyond the Turtles (I wouldn't go there either). It seems to be a general acceptance that it gets uncomfortable in 3 ft. or more chop. Initial roll resistance is actually a bit better than the 42, but pushed further, it quickly begins to roll much more, especially in a beam sea. If I ever do have the desire to go ocean cruising, I love my Manatee way to much to push it beyond it's design, so I'd opt for the 42 or the 39. For what it's worth, my delivery Captain owns a Hatteras 43 DCMY, and he claims that his boat rolls more than the Manatee. I guess he would know. I have learned that turning my back on big sport-fisher wakes (stern to) is quite effective, and the boat handles beautifully in a following sea.

Really eh?

Thanks Heelhustler.* That would be just the kind of thing to turn the wife off from being aboard, and it was a finger-crossing experience having her "willingly" warm up to the idea as it was!

She wants to*cruise, so your thoughts on the Manatee have been invaluable.* 42's do seem great, but with us still running the tail end of a business they seem a little tight for our needs, which is why the Manatee caught our attention.*

I'll clear my throat apoligetically for saying that the Defever 49 looks appealling.* I'm sure saying that on a Krogen blog is setting myself up for hate mail!!....

I'll brace myself...

No need to clear your throat with me, Dan. I swoon every time I see a DeFever 49. Love the style, especially the raised pilothouse.

Manatee

We sailed Cape Dory's 25' then 28' for about 25 years and made the traditional move to trawlers with a Monk36, we lived aboard 3 years and did the loop in 2012. Made the move to the Manatee five years ago and can't say enough about the comfort and economy of the design. Tracks straight, cored hull, comfort, pilothouse visibility, and quality construction. Our's is a 1987 with a TMD31A 100 HP Volvo. We added a NL 5kw genset, Ideal vertical capstan/windlass, and Purasan unit. Work list someday to enclose pilothouse with Lexan sliders. Unless I win the Lotto this is last trawler we will own.
Bill
KK3669
Hi-D-Ho

Just joined the forum. I have had my Manatee for approximately 12 years. It is the two stateroom version. I have added numerous systems to my boat and would love to hear of other peoples projects that they like. My latest experiment was to use Durabak on the back deck. I used the clear version and it looks beautiful. I had to add some sand because I almost broke by back when stepping on the wet deck. I hope this lasts. Next I plan on adding a couple of winches to my boom. Anyone done this?

Adding a hoist for raising the boom and another for the lift line has already been done. Just be sure to check the condition of the pivot joint where thr boom meets the mast...often only rivited and needs to be welded. As part of a MOB plan, I chucked my mast & boom for a more secure davit crane....easier for the Admiral to handle. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. The aft teak deck on our single stateroom model Manatee gets an occasional washdown with salt water and light scrub, we have to simulate the briney here on the Tennessee river. I like this treatment opposed to coating the teak as you already found out natural teak has it's own built in non-skide. I will check out Durabak coating though, always open to new ideas
We are equipped with a 12 VDC winch and cable on a swivel mount davit with compression post up on the boat deck. The boat has never had a mast and boom as far as I know, we are the third owners.
Just finished doing the engine and transmission oil change on our Volvo TMD31A, I was wondering what oil others use in the transmission ? I have been using Castrol synthetic 75W90 which was recommended by the re-builder of the transmission after one of the two clutches wore out. The oil is pricey but not near the cost of a rebuild.
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1105.JPG
    IMG_1105.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 163
Adding a hoist for raising the boom and another for the lift line has already been done. Just be sure to check the condition of the pivot joint where thr boom meets the mast...often only rivited and needs to be welded. As part of a MOB plan, I chucked my mast & boom for a more secure davit crane....easier for the Admiral to handle. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the advice. I thought about getting rid of my mast/boom, but I like the looks and the ability to launch off either side. I installed the removable weaver mounts, got rid of the back section of railing, and have my RIB sideways on the upper deck.

Welcome to the forum. The aft teak deck on our single stateroom model Manatee gets an occasional washdown with salt water and light scrub, we have to simulate the briney here on the Tennessee river. I like this treatment opposed to coating the teak as you already found out natural teak has it's own built in non-skide. I will check out Durabak coating though, always open to new ideas
We are equipped with a 12 VDC winch and cable on a swivel mount davit with compression post up on the boat deck. The boat has never had a mast and boom as far as I know, we are the third owners.
Just finished doing the engine and transmission oil change on our Volvo TMD31A, I was wondering what oil others use in the transmission ? I have been using Castrol synthetic 75W90 which was recommended by the re-builder of the transmission after one of the two clutches wore out. The oil is pricey but not near the cost of a rebuild.
Bill

Thanks for the pictures. I also use a synthetic for my transmission as well. I'm not on the boat, but I think it is the same weight you are using. It is the Mobil/Chevron brand. I asked my Volvo dealer about a synthetic for my TMD30A, but was advised against it due to the tolerances of the engine. I added a Gulf Coast Oil filter to help clean the oil.

I agree with the volvo dealer, I had a excellent diesel mechanic tell me much better to use good quality diesel engine oil and change at 200 hours including filter. I use Shell Rotella 15W40 and change the on engine filter to remote unit (photos). No more oil in the bilges and I can use a larger filter mounted vertically which allows me to pre-fill it.
Bill

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 032 (4).jpg
    032 (4).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 180
I agree with the volvo dealer, I had a excellent diesel mechanic tell me much better to use good quality diesel engine oil and change at 200 hours including filter. I use Shell Rotella 15W40 and change the on engine filter to remote unit (photos). No more oil in the bilges and I can use a larger filter mounted vertically which allows me to pre-fill it.
Bill

Very nice! Where did you get the remote unit and what brand is it?

I got it from JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS and it's a Derale 15715 $49.99 free shipping, really good people to deal with. These oil filter relocation kits very popular with off road and engine rebuilders. My engine is a Volvo TMD31A so you will need to determine the filter base gasket seating area and the center thread size but they have all that information on the web site. Installed mine four years ago, kit comes with everything you need except the mounting board.
Bill

Where are the Manatee owners?

I have not seen a post dated later than 2014? Admittedly, I am new to this forum, but I am curious where did everybody go! I also belong to the Krogen/Yahoo forum. We are very close to making an offer on one of two in FL. Please keep up that dialogue. We are former live aboard sailors and the Manatee suits our needs. Looked at Mainship and Monk and in terms of livability, socialization spaces and general salty looks, nothing comes close to the Manatee. And Krogen is a great company, that is still in business.

Cheers
Thom

Thom, click on Kadey Krogen in the Builders Forum and you will find 133 threads on KK's, not all are Manatee threads but there should be plenty of information.
Update on this tread. After using this filter setup successfully since 2014 I had to remove it and go back to the OE engine mounted filter. I was unable to find a replacement gasket for the adapter plate that mounts on the side of the engine. I didn't feel like I wanted to risk a oil leak and possible oil starved/ruined engine. Now I have to figure out a spill safe routine for changing the oil filter. My first change will be puncturing the filter to drain it, gorilla tape a aluminum pan under the filter and see if I can get the filter off without spilling oil in the bilge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom