Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #67
psneeld
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Paul, can you expand on that a bit. I don't understand what you mean by "key switch" option. I have my holding tank "locked closed" with a plastic tie wrap because I've heard it is acceptable, but have no documentation to prove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Paul, can you expand on that a bit. I don't understand what you mean by "key switch" option. I have my holding tank "locked closed" with a plastic tie wrap because I've heard it is acceptable, but have no documentation to prove it.
The tie wrap is pretty well accepted except in areas where something more drastic is required by locals or even lake wide such as handle removal and hose removal.

But a few years back some boat builders decided less sea cocks were better and the discharge port was above the waterline with no sea cock to secure and just a button on the electrical panel to discharge. Some cruisers decided to take it one step further by putting a key switch in and placing the key in a secure spot.

After years of boarding teams getting into arguments over all this...the office of the USCG Commandant (may have been a subordinate office with proper authority) came out and described acceptable methods beyond what the CFRs state.

If I find anything today or soon...I'll make sure I share it.