View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
NYCHAB III
Veteran Member

City: n/a
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
On getting "waked" / vandalism

Hello All, Newbie here with a question that has really been bothering me. Ancillary to many threads dealing with speed, number of engines, prop. pitch, etc. are comments referring to getting "waked". While getting "waked" is fairly common whilst cruising around in our small runabout during a busy weekend, it sounds like getting "waked" by a larger, faster vessel can be dangerous.

While I can believe "driver obliviousness" can apply occasionally, I simply cannot believe that this is always the case. My question is, therefore, are the slower moving trawlers being deliberately "waked"? Is there some vague, general feeling in the "faster vessel" community that trawlers are a problem; in the way; should not be in "their" water? Do these folks look ahead of them and think, "......oh crap! Another trawler, oh well, I'm not slowing up this time...."

I have also read a few posts that seem to indicate that some locals occasionally enjoy an evening of strolling along a public dock and untying trawlers. Is this a real problem? An occasional problem? Confined to a particular area?

Thank you in advance for your, as always, thoughtful responses.
NYCHAB III is offline   Reply With Quote