Flotsam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulysses

Guru
Vessel Name
Ulysses
Vessel Make
Romsdal 1963
I am tired of complaining to my T. V. and thought I would vent on here. In regard to the missing airplane, does anyone else believe that there is not a "Debris Field" in the ocean and that it should be referred to as Flotsam?

Hey, TV news has to limit their vocabulary, (I think they are down to 1000 words now), therefore complicated words like Flotsam and Jetsam have been banned, as have any words that take any thought and most words with more than 3 syllables.

Oh, Sorry, "syllables" has been banned too, with too many consecutive l's

Welcome to the Brave New World, where everyone can play a video game, but no one can fix em.

Welcome to the Brave New World, where everyone can play a video game, but no one can fix em.[/QUOTE]

Same world where phonetic spelling is considered correct and jobs at McDonald's are now careers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Flotsam is what you throw overboard to save the ship and you intend to come back and retrieve. Jetsam you do not intend to retrieve.

Al, you may want to compare your definitions with those in dictionaries.

Jetsam goes overboard to prevent the Flotsam. Neither should be confused with lagan or derelicts. They all look pretty similar though when passing by.
I do guess that you are all right in regards to the T.V. news and talking heads, you would have thought that at least one of the experts would have referred to it properly.

How about "tarmac"

Steve: Tarmac is what you put over the clam shells in your part of the world so you can drive over the marsh. If you don't have a board road already.

It all looks like crap to me!! I understand there are entire floating islands made up of the stuff. When we were cruising in the Bahamas a few years back it was just disgusting how much crap collects on the exposed eastern shores of the islands. The West facing shores were relatively clean by comparison. I used to call my small sailboat dinghy "Jetsam". That looked like crap as well!!

Probably the reporters are just quoting the aviation safety experts that are calling it a debris field....when the captain of a ship gets on scene and calls it something else...they may switch over or just get confused and make up their own term.

Look closely during any lockage on the U. S. river system and I will bet that you will see no less than 10 tennis balls in every lock, they seem to float forever. I assumed that the lock masters were not playing tennis on the job.

Steve: I saw that thread, thanks. You have not used clam shells since about 1980 when they halted dredging Lake P. Will be down your way in a few weeks visiting Chauvin.

I have a fishing camp in Cocodrie just down the bayou from Chauvin.

Steve, that brings back memories. I used to fish the Oilman's Open every May, back in the day when I was gainfully employed. Great fishing down there in Cocodrie! My mate had his fishing camp just up Bayou du Large where we would stay. Sorry....thread drift.

Just think what a huge jet liner like that could do (i.e. be packed with in its gutted insides) if it were actually landed on enemy territory... in terrorist hands. From what I understand... the plane could be flown low enough so it basically escapes radar. Its range with full tanks is enormous. In the wrong hands it could be hidden and lay dormant for a long time... at least long enough until rest of world decided it simply is not find-able wherever it crashed into the ocean. Then... when... world is sleeping - - > you add the outcome!

In any case - down in ocean, or down in terrorist hands - passengers are dead meat!

I can't think of a better way for terrorists to get their hands on an explosives carrying cargo plane that can travel nearly any distance?

Just sayen! Cause – something smells fishy about this incident – maybe I’m incorrect, but, I believe it is better to be safe than sorry!

Just think what a huge jet liner like that could do (i.e. be packed with in its gutted insides) if it were actually landed on enemy territory... in terrorist hands. From what I understand... the plane could be flown low enough so it basically escapes radar. Its range with full tanks is enormous. In the wrong hands it could be hidden and lay dormant for a long time... at least long enough until rest of world decided it simply is not find-able wherever it crashed into the ocean. Then... when... world is sleeping - - > you add the outcome!

In any case - down in ocean, or down in terrorist hands - passengers are dead meat!

I can't think of a better way for terrorists to get their hands on an explosives carrying cargo plane that can travel nearly any distance?

Just sayen! Cause – something smells fishy about this incident – maybe I’m incorrect, but, I believe it is better to be safe than sorry!

We should know shortly if the debris was from Malaysia 370. If not, remember that Pakistan has nukes. There will be a scramble to find that plane. What a delivery vehicle it would be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom