When Does a Boat Become a Yacht?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) A "yacht" is a boat that's big enough that it can carry another boat (tender, dinghy, etc.).

2) A "yacht" is a boat big enough that a woman can wear heels on board.

Some places (England) a yacht is sail only, wouldn't call a power boat a yacht regardless of size.

The English use of the term yacht is common throughout the Eastern Caribbean, although I have not heard it restricted to sail, our trawler is considered a "motor yacht".

1) A "yacht" is a boat that's big enough that it can carry another boat (tender, dinghy, etc.).

2) A "yacht" is a boat big enough that a woman can wear heels on board.

I like you definition as we wear heels on our boat daily and carry a dink. I use the term trawler that best generally describes the boat. Yacht sound to pretentious!

Phil Fill pretentiousness is profound element of Yacht. Good call.

Sailboats have nothing to do with it.

A yacht is or isn't a yacht in the mind of the perceiver.

But HopCar Mark's dink is a stretch.

Eric, I have a thing for Trinkas, forgive me.

The guy who lives across the canal from me has a 28 foot long single shell that weighs about 30 pounds. It's probably faster than most of our boats. Is that a yacht?

HopCar,
Yes ... IMO if that's the way you feel about it.

I too like Trinka's. Beautiful lines and certainly a great boat. Probably at it's best w only one person aboard. To carry a load it would be better off with a more up-turned afterplane. But the Trinka is a dinghy and w her fuller stern she can carry more load.

Anybody old enough to remember the canvas covered PennYan wood dinghies? They had lines very similar to the Trinka.

I too like Trinka's. Beautiful lines and certainly a great boat. Probably at it's best w(ith) only one person aboard.

I agree. The ten-foot version is more capable.

Last edited:
A boat becomes na yacht when its owner, uses it to be tied up in the most VIP marina only to show his mates how much Money he´s making and how importante he is.

In some places in Latin América and Europe any boat above 25´painted in White, may be called and qualified as na Yacht

Wifey B: First orgy on board?

Hubby B: She's being funny but when I think of "yacht" I do think of the super wealthy with their drunken, drug laden, sex filled parties on board as suddenly boating has nothing to do with it, but it's all about excesses and has become a party house.

BandB,
But it says you live in "Paradise".

Paradise what? It would be nice to know what state province or country you reside in. Often it's relevant to posting.

Perhaps I've led a sheltered life.

BandB,
But it says you live in "Paradise".

Paradise what? It would be nice to know what state province or country you reside in. Often it's relevant to posting.

Perhaps I've led a sheltered life.

South Florida is Paradise to us. Fort Lauderdale, specifically.

I once heard that the term "Yacht" is best used to describe your boat to people who have never seen it, and are never likely to . . . . . :socool:

Larry
M/V Boomarang

LMFAO. That is the best description I have ever heard for someone of my stature.

I personally dislike the term 'yacht' because it is presumptuous, especially with the non-boating crowd.

When people find out I have a boat and live aboard, their first reaction is "oh, you have a yacht". I jokingly reply "Donald Trump has a yacht, I have a boat".

Ok, Ok I give up! Marks dinghy is not a yacht. It is yacht quality.

I guess my idea of a yacht goes back to when I was driving the delivery truck for Hopkins-Carter. I saw dozens of large boats every day. I got to know many of the Captains as well. In my mind the ones that were well maintained and the varnish was spotless became yachts. The others were something less.

One boat that left a lasting impression of "Yacht" on me was a wooden sport fish, Rybovitch I think, named Whistling Swan. Her Captain, Mundo Valdez, was an artist with a varnish brush. Every inch of mahogany on that boat looked like it was covered in melted glass. The varnish and paint was always perfect. Capt. Valdez took great pride in that boat.

When you can land a helicopter on it!!!

THE END!!!!!

Anything bigger than my boat is a yacht

when is a boat a yacht ?

To me they are all boats. I would just feel too pretentious to start talking about my yacht.

My 25 feet boat are normally called a: Ejvind 25 skiff, if its for fishin, then a 25 Ejvind skiff, in my case it will be: Ejvind 25 leisure skiff.
Never a Yacht, far too pretentious!

But still, a boy of maybe 10, one day asked my wife and I, is your boat Houseboat ? I answered the boy, well yes in a way, since we live aboard all summer,-even in rainy days.

So here we are: certainly NOT a yacht, a skiff or houseboat, in my wiev a houseboat is something about 40 to 50 feet, and with some luxury era, like bathroom, sundeck etc. - and NOT a simple modest Little Skiff.
For us its the better place to relax and feel full freedom and joy.
But when all our brass thing are shinning, some once said to me:
Its like a yacht all rigth, "Ship shape and Bristol standards" - and I feel like a proud yacht man. :flowers:

Last edited:
all abouth YACHTs.

Uh, oh ... we have a YACHT ... :dance:
It is even Yacht Certified by NMMA (and what a joke that certification is).
QUATION: The Oxford companion: "Ship and the Sea", quote: Yacht from the Dutch Jacht, which comes from another Dutch Word Jachten, meaning to Hurry or to Hunt, for the Dutch were the first to use Commercial vessels for pleasure.
The word also applies to large powered vessels for pleasure, steam and motor yachts, as well as sailing vessels, DEEMED too big to be called a BOAT, or a Dinghy.- UNQOTE.

Then WHO is to Judge ? Coastguard or Trade and Shipping Authority.
I believe the boat/yacht owner himself, -and we dont need to suffer from inferiority complex. But remember: All Shipshape British or US. Standards,- i.e. no fender outside your Yacht, when under way..!

QUATION: The Oxford companion: "Ship and the Sea", quote: Yacht from the Dutch Jacht, which comes from another Dutch Word Jachten, meaning to Hurry or to Hunt, for the Dutch were the first to use Commercial vessels for pleasure.
The word also applies to large powered vessels for pleasure, steam and motor yachts, as well as sailing vessels, DEEMED too big to be called a BOAT, or a Dinghy.- UNQOTE.

Then WHO is to Judge ? Coastguard or Trade and Shipping Authority.
I believe the boat/yacht owner himself, -and we dont need to suffer from inferiority complex. But remember: All Shipshape British or US. Standards,- i.e. no fender outside your Yacht, when under way..!

That works right up until the person you are talking to laughs and giggles till they cry when you describe your boat as a yacht...then see how big the inferiority complex has grown.....

If there is a paid-for-hire (professional), liveaboard crew aboard, it's a yacht.

img_221985_0_ac1e41af4b04084cb240f2ee9044fe79.jpg

Last edited:
When the vessel has an exterior hot tub, it's a yacht.

232323232%7Ffp635%3B3%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D383299%3A7%3C7336nu0mrj

P.S. I've never been aboard a yacht. The closest I've been is on a ship.

Last edited:
How about, you don't have to hold a handle to drive it.

I was aboard what I feel was a real “Thcay” - Once!

In early 70's I dated a gal whose dad was 1st mate aboard James Ryder's 123' Ryder Truck Rental's boat. Gold plated utensils in a huge oval tabled dining room, and gold plated hardware (door hinges included) throughout his Master Stateroom. James was only aboard for “special” times with his “special” friends a couple times per year. Also, his company Thcay would follow him around the world for him to bring big business leaders aboard for big business contract signatures. Story was, the day we were aboard: James was in a foreign hospital recouping from broken bones after a bouncer threw him out the window of a “house”. That was according to his crew. The boat and tenders were brand new and beautiful!

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/27/business/james-ryder-83-found-fortune-in-truck-leasing-and-then-lost-it.html

Think a yacht by definition is over 26 feet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom